Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This may be an odd question!
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Hi all,

I am planning on replacing my piece of crap Rubik brand 3x3 which is awful even after silicone lube has been added.

I want to know what to buy instead bearing in mind that I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of speedcubing! I want a multicoloured one just for playing with and a black one to put my supercube stickers on. I really want something that feels good and is controllable by a non speedcuber.

I look forward to your opinions for each cube.
I plan to order in the next few days.

Post subject: Re: This may be an odd question!
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 pm 

You may not want to be a speedcuber, but speed cubes are still good for generic use. I would recommend a DaYan ZhanChi, either with coloured plastic or black plastic with stickers, depending on what you want.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 pm 

I'd recommend ZhanChi too because it is so pop-resistant. It's really good for casual solving.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 pm 

I'm not a speedcuber at all. I have to agree with the ZanChi, and I do like the LunHui. To me they are great cubes, the best turnning in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 pm 

Thanks guys!

All votes so far include a Zhanchi! No one has recommended the cheaper Guhong v2. Is there a reason for this?

Will a non-speedster cope with the free movements of the Zhanchi?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:14 pm 

If you don't mind putting a bit of work into your Rubik's brand cube, I've found this method to work well for turning junk cubes into good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTDblHV-NMU

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:57 am 

Quirky-Cubes wrote:
If you don't mind putting a bit of work into your Rubik's brand cube, I've found this method to work well for turning junk cubes into good ones:

This looks like a good idea but as "a man old enough to know better" if I was to start putting sand in it, then spreading it around the kitchen and finally using a saucepan and our brand new kitchen to clean it, then SHE :shock: would remove various pieces of my anatomy without the benefit of anaesthesia and feed it/them to me having first tenderised them with a brick (whilst still attached).

Taking this rather disturbing thought into account I think I had better buy a cube. $13-19 is cheaper than pissing of the woman with the burning laser stare - all you married guys out there know that look! :shock: :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:14 am 

Quirky-Cubes wrote:

In my first year of college (2002) a bunch of friends and I were trying to break in our terrible Rubik's Brand cubes. We knew that they got better from use so we decided to accelerate the process. We built a bracket for an electric drill that would hold the face of a Rubik's Cube. The idea was that the drill could do thousands of twists quickly and break the cube in without much effort on our part.

We hooked up the bracket and started spinning the cube. We were about to celebrate when about 30 seconds in, the cube locked up and the bracket ripped the other side of the cube out of our hands and threw it across the room.

The friction of spinning a face at around 900 RPM melted the plastic and fused the face we were spinning to the middle layer.

The moral of this story? Spend $20-$30 and get yourself a good cube.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:06 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
We hooked up the bracket and started spinning the cube. We were about to celebrate when about 30 seconds in, the cube locked up and the bracket ripped the other side of the cube out of our hands and threw it across the room.

I don't want to even think what she would do to me if I tried to do that!!! :shock:

bmenrigh wrote:
The moral of this story? Spend $20-$30 and get yourself a good cube.

I think I might just do that - hence this strange question! :lol:

Still no one with any knowledge of the Guhong?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:31 am 

I have a GuHong (V1) and a LunHui. I don't know how much difference there is between a GuHong V1 and V2. The LunHui is slightly smaller and feels more robust to turn, the GuHong is really `slippery`, perhaps a bit too much. When you start cutting a few corners the LunHui will help you avoid pops. I think the LunHui feels better to twist (I'm not a speed solver either, my current best time is 52 sec). The Zanchi mechanism `looks to be` in between the GuHong and LunHui to me. I'd go with the LunHui or Zanchi, but honestly, you probably won't tell the difference if your'e a casual solver like me. I also like the unstickered ones as a casual solver, but that's personal choice. I agree with the others, a nice speedcube is great for a casual solver too, just be careful not to accelerate too hard at first :) . A bit of Lubix cube lube makes all the difference in your collection too.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 am 

Hi Burgo,
Quote:
(I'm not a speed solver either, my current best time is 52 sec)

I own a Gu Hong , too.
Excuse me , I 'm very curious. :lol: :oops:
Which speedsolving method do you use.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 am 

I don't do anything fast. All things worth doing are worth savoring over and puzzling is no exception. BUT.... my desk favorite has long been a Dian Sheng. I love that thing. I twist it one handed when I'm sitting doing things I seriously need to focus on. The one I have is a mini and it's just the right size for my hands. It is an amazing puzzle for just fidling with. I've not found anything like it and I have all those fancy ones that Da Yan keeps 'redesigning'.

just my 2 cents...

and FYI, I don't have that stare, but boy do I get it from Mr. Man when I forget to sneak the latest big box of puzzles in the house....

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 am 

Guhong stickerless. Fast and no stickers will fall off.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:10 am 

I say get the black Guhong V2, it's amazing already out of the box. i don't like Zhanchis. You may get a colored Zhanchi then you have two good cubes to compare :P

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm 

Burgo wrote:
The LunHui is slightly smaller and feels more robust to turn...
When you start cutting a few corners the LunHui will help you avoid pops. I think the LunHui feels better to twist
EMI94100 wrote:
I say get the black Guhong V2, it's amazing already out of the box. i don't like Zhanchis.
Letti wrote:

So much choice!! What to do?? :shock: :shock:

Placed an order - bought the Lunhui black to be a supercube. and the Guhong v2 stickerless for fun.
I will never be particularly fast - I average about 2 minutes but I am happy with that (I don't even know F2L!!) I'm much too old to do the speedcube thing! :D
Burgo wrote:
I'm not a speed solver either, my current best time is 52 sec

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Not a speedcuber?? Imagine what you could do if you tried!

Thanks everyone for your help - it is all quite entertaining. Not sure how to explain this to the present Mrs S!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:22 pm 

Letti wrote:

I like this one too.

Until you've actually solved a Dayan Guhong you really shouldn't consider yourself to be "not a speedcuber". It's like saying you're not a natural born killer before you've picked up a really sexy machine gun.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:15 am 

Basicly any other cube would be good. And like Burgo already mentionned lubix is great. If you lube your cube properly with it, or with another lube similar to it (silicube, etc...), your cube should be great even your rubiks brand should be way better! And it can work on all twisty puzzles but you need to sometimes be creative, and want to disassemble and reassemble the puzzle! Any cube from dayan would be good but hmm probably zhanchi or lunhui.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am 

Drake wrote:
lubix is great. If you lube your cube properly with it, or with another lube similar to it (silicube, etc...), your cube should be great even your rubiks brand should be way better

Thanks - I bought some silicone lubricant from a local DIY store and my Rubik cube really didn't improve much. I put it on my Daya Gem IV and quite a few of the stickers slid off!! In fact they won't restick!!

With my recent purchase I have bought a dedicated cube lube (can you say that in public? :oops: )

Can anyone tell me what I should do with it? i.e. how much to use and where to put it?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:55 am 

Like if you order lubix from their website (sorry I'm on my ipod... But i think it's www.lubixcube.com) it should tell you evrything to properly lube a 3x3x3 with lubix or another lube similar to it. But for silicone spray it's not the same thing and if the stickers won't stick any more on the dayan gem IV try cleaning the surface with a whipe or let it dry, depends... And it's the same for lubix be carefull to only put in your puzzle! Because it's very very kind of greasy, like hard to explain.