Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Orb with more than 4 bead colours?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:16 am 

My friend was recently given an Orb puzzle, and asked what puzzle it was (they didn't know the name). Upon viewing the image they shared, I noticed an odd thing with the beads. There were more than 4 colours present on the puzzle, and to my knowledge that is not something that would happen. I asked Andreas in a PM if he had any knowledge regarding it, and stated that the rest of the forum may have more knowledge.

The beads on Orbs that I'm aware of are Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, and Orange, with different setups due to different Orbs being manufactured.

The beads on this are Green, Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Turquoise, and possibly Purple, though the purple seems to be unusually dark blue beads. I've come up with a few reasons for the multiple colours:
1) The puzzle was mixed with other beads from the other Orb model (the GYRB orb + BRGO orb)
2) The orb has sun damage on some beads (this is voided if you consider the orb plastic shell which appears to have no sun damage or yellowing)
3) The beads were copied from other beads, in terms of repair, but the colours came out off (also void as the beads look too nice to be replicated)
4) Reproduction Orb of some sort
5) Manufacturing error

Here is a picture of the Puzzle, and I requested to see it (and was shown in video chat) that the beads are indeed different colours. The easy ones to see are the Green and Turquoise (looks like it to me at least), and the "Purple" and Blue beads. The Orange ones are not easy to see but video chatting showed there is a pigment difference. The image was prior to the video chat, but this only half-debunked the purple bead colour, as they are REALLY dark blue beads.
Attachment:
orb.jpg
orb.jpg [ 53.07 KiB | Viewed 876 times ]

For the record, my friend is partially colourblind, so they were unable to tell that there were 4+ colours until they found out they cant solve it.

What do you all think of this?

-Chris

Post subject: Re: Orb with more than 4 bead colours?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 pm 

Quick update on this.

My friend agreed to sell it to me, as they didn't feel attached to it (and they couldn't solve it either). So I purchased it and it should arrive at my house in the next few days, and around that time i can see the beads and show more pictures of it.

Let's see how the puzzle really is once it arrives :)

-Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:49 pm 

Likely it's cobbled together from Orbs with different color schemes. I have two orbs and 5 colors between them; completely different color scheme for each one.

But still it's neato!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:12 pm 

rplass wrote:
Likely it's cobbled together from Orbs with different color schemes. I have two orbs and 5 colors between them; completely different color scheme for each one.

But still it's neato!
Might I ask what colours are present on them? Scheme wise an orb can have 20 Orange, or 8 Orange to my knowledge (for example), but total they have 4 colours in some order.

Can you see if the orbs you have contain different green or blue beads when compared? If I remember correctly there were 2 main manufactured orbs (3 counting the Japanese ones that had a purple base) and they had Red/Yellow/Blue/Green for one, and Red/Orange/Green/Blue for the other (not any particular order, just colours). So maybe the 2 different manufactured ones had different shades of Blue/Green/Yellow?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:59 am 

Ok I'll check. One of my Orbs is at my dad's house, so I can't hold them side by side to compare at the moment. I guess I'll have to pay a visit to my dad's house, which he won't mind one bit. But don't tell him I'm going there to visit the Orb :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:47 pm 

It could be that someone just replaced some of the beads after some fell out.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 pm 

Zem wrote:
It could be that someone just replaced some of the beads after some fell out.

That could be the case, but (once again, to my knowledge) there are only 5 colours of beads, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Orange, so if a Turquoise or Purple coloured bead is in the puzzle, then where did they come from if there were only 5 colours total. It does make a great amount of sense that beads were replaced, but colour is what throws that into a foggy cloud :?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just so confused on the colours. Do the beads change colour over time with sun damage.

It's been shipped, so hopefully I'll have it within the next few days to take a closer look.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:19 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
Zem wrote:
Do the beads change colour over time with sun damage.

This is certainly possible. Maybe some of the green ones turned turquoise by being exposed to the sun while the ones on the 'dark side' remained green.

-d

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:40 pm 

darryl wrote:
NXTgen wrote:
Zem wrote:
Do the beads change colour over time with sun damage.

This is certainly possible. Maybe some of the green ones turned turquoise by being exposed to the sun while the ones on the 'dark side' remained green.

-d

That makes sense. Now what about Purple beads? Would sun damage make Blue turn Purple?

I can see that Orange could easily replace Yellow beads if needed as they are quite similar.

Countering the Orange beads being there, My own Orb has light Blue beads, though I have not held another Orb to see their blue ones, it would make sense that they could be the proposed Turquoise beads... But then what about the Dark blue ones on it (next to the purple in the picture)? Where did that Blue come from?

The way I see it is a mess, and going in circles to figure this out in my mind...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 pm 

So I have the puzzle in my hands now... Here's what I've concluded.

It is:
The UK version of the Orb, Poles are Orange and Blue, "rings" are Red and Green, and the beads are sun damaged, giving the different appearance in colours.

What I'm guessing is that sun damage can happen on the beads, causing discolouration and fogging (see pictures). The biggest ones to see the fogging effect are 2 Green beads that are like a "swamp green" colour and almost impossible to see through. The Blue beads that were on the puzzle have had this fogging effect (excluding one bead) but had given them a purple look. The Orange beads have gotten a tinting to them (tinting is to make lighter (artistic definition), but car tinting makes it darker (automotive definition)) so they appear more Yellow than Orange. The Red seem almost unaltered which seems strange, but I'll accept it.

The pictures are blurry, due to it being out of focus, but it captured the colour better than in focus. The colours don't appear the same in these pictures, but I'll identify what beads are note-worthy.

Attachment:
HPIM3244.JPG
HPIM3244.JPG [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Side by side. The received Orb is on the left, the one I've owned is on the right.
Attachment:
HPIM3246.JPG
HPIM3246.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Close-up of the "Blue" beads, though in person they are Purple, excluding the top (furthest back) one on the right hemisphere.
Attachment:
HPIM3247.JPG
HPIM3247.JPG [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Trying to get more light didn't help :lol:
Attachment:
HPIM3249.JPG
HPIM3249.JPG [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Opposite side, Orange and Red are shown. Orange has colours that are slightly different, though not noticeable.
Attachment:
HPIM3251.JPG
HPIM3251.JPG [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Showing the Green beads and the 2 "foggy swamp-green" coloured ones. Some Greens seem lighter as well, but not immediately noticeable. (yes, one red is visible, my apologies to anyone that becomes irritated)
Attachment:
HPIM3252.JPG
HPIM3252.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Close-up of the 2 "foggy swamp-green" beads. (same as before, one red is visible, my bad.)

It's unfortunate that this doesn't really have more than 5 colours, but at least it answered the sun damage question for beads. I would imagine that the damage would have different effects on different beads, but either way they get lighter or darker with a little fogginess to them.

-Chris