Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ideal Toys 3x3x3 1981 Cardboard Tub
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm 

Hi, been following the board for a quite while .. finally got my account activated - thank you!

I've collected vintage rubiks puzzles over the years and have a pretty sizeable collection. One thing that has always bothered me is where the UK Ideal Toys 3x3x3 Rubiks in cardboard tub (1981) was actually made.

Some tubs have a sticker saying cube made in Hong Kong, packaged in England. Other tubs have no sticker but I have seen references to Hungarian produced cubes inside and also UK produced cubes.

So my question is does anybody know if Rubik's Cubes were actually manufatured in England? Also, could it be possible that the cardboard tubs could contain cubes of either Hungarian, HK or UK origin randomly?

My suspicion is that all the 1981 cardboard tub cubes came from HK (with the corner covers open / white opposite blue) but I could be wrong.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Oh one last question, does anyone know why Ideal changed the packaging from plastic container to cardboard packaging (tub (UK) or box (US))?

Tks again.

Post subject: Re: Ideal Toys 3x3x3 1981 Cardboard Tub
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 pm 

Interesting post with good questions.

I don't think any cube inside these tubes has been made in UK. I know from David Singmaster that none were made in your country. In my experience the cubes in these cardboard tubes were firstly the remains of the cubes sold before by Pentangle (130 gram cubes with "raised strikes", see Georges' explanations here) and later came the Hong Kong made cubes, that were much lighter (104, 112 grams).

Regarding the change from the plastic case to the cardboard tube, I think the local ITC representations wanted to have their 'own' packaging. This assumption could be corroborated by the fact that the French representative changed their packaging, too, even twice (plastic container, US packaging, cardboard box).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:54 pm 

Thank you very much for your comments. Good to have it confirmed that no Rubiks cubes were actually manufactured in England back then.

Some of the cubes in Plastic cases from 1980 actually have 'Made in England' moulded into the base!

So Ideal UK just produced the packaging and imported the cubes from Hong Kong.

Does anyone know anything about the Ideal UK operation? Employees, how long it traded etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 am 

Actually those cubes were made in Britain. The give away, besides the "Made in England" label, was the plastic. Of the regular Rubik's cubes made in the early 1980's the cubes made in England had the best plastic. They are quite distinctive, I love the feel of those cubes.

David J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:31 am 

Of course England makes the best! :D :lol:

I'm pretty sure that cubes were produced in Britain.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm 

Oh, okay ...

So can I assume that as long as the cardboard tub doesn't have the white sticker saying 'cube made in Hong Kong', it is actually made in England? Are they from the same moulds as the Hong Kong one's (open corners, no caps)?

Personally I can't tell the difference in the plastic from the ones made in Hong Kong. I do find Hungarian cubes from 1980 to be far superior.

Anyway, I'm just going through a period of nostalgia and wanted to piece together some understanding of UK manufactured cubes.

Thank you for you help and info.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 pm 

David J wrote:
Actually those cubes were made in Britain. The give away, besides the "Made in England" label, was the plastic. Of the regular Rubik's cubes made in the early 1980's the cubes made in England had the best plastic. They are quite distinctive, I love the feel of those cubes.

David J

I would love to hear from a source of this information.
Also, the 'pretty sure' of SEBUVER's post does not impress me.
*I* am pretty sure they were not made in UK,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:13 am 

The 4x4x4's although labeled "UK" were not produced there. I am "pretty sure" the same goes for the 3x3's :lol:

They were produced in Hong Kong, Macao, Japan, and Taiwan. Later on, some were made either in Haiti or the Dominican republic. I forget which.

I've recently learned that those "assembled" in Korea, Mexico, and Singapore are all fakes. Interesting bit of trivia.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:51 am 

UK Rubik's cubes came in two types of packages (to my knowledge). The plastic case and also the cardboard tube. The plastic case actually has 'Made in England' moulded into the bottom. The cardboard tube just has Ideal toys, wokingham printed. I have seen both types with a white sticker applied saying 'Cube made in Hong Kong, packaged in England'. However, a lot do not bear this sticker which is why I wondered if they were actually made in Engand.

My original thoughts were that no Rubik's 3x3x3 were manufactured in England, I still feel this is correct. I have a brand new cube in cardboard tube (without the white sticker mentioned above), it even has the original outer brown square cardboard box like the 4x4x4 had which leads me to believe it is actually of HK origin. However the colour sticker layout is a bit different to other 3x3x3's I have which I know are from HK. The red and orange sides are the other way around - again, made me think perhaps this is UK produced.

I guess it doesn't matter, just curious. To me all UK Rubiks will hollow edges feel the same to me, no difference. In any case, if David Singmaster said no cubes made in the Uk, then who's to argue?

Thanks all for your comments.

I am looking for a Pentangle cube (either or both types of packaging) for my collection if anyone can point me in the right direction. I guess these are not easy to come by.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 am 

katsmom wrote:
I've recently learned that those "assembled" in Korea, Mexico, and Singapore are all fakes.

Are you talking just the 4x4x4 or would this also relate to the Deluxe Rubik's Cube?

That is interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:24 am 

I hunted down and almost paid an insane price for a 4x4x4 made in Singapore. It was one missing from my collection. Luckily, I talked to the main producer of ideal 4x4's before purchasing the puzzle. It's a fake. The Taiwan ones were too, but Ideal toys took the company to court, won the case, and confiscated the molds. Eureka! Good puzzles, save money on mold making. So early Taiwan 4x4's were copies, later ones were not. Same molds though so how can a novice collector tell them apart? I know I sure can't! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 am 

Okay, my last question on this subject, does anyone know anything about the factory (or factories) in Hong Kong that produced the Rubik's Cube back in 1980?