Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Top Spin, Turn Stile, and Triple Cross (Info Wanted)
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:58 pm 

Recently, I was at a friend's house and they were moving stuff around. They literally had boxes of junk all over their house. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed what looked like the edge of a Backspin Puzzle. I went over and pulled it out and sure enough, it was exactly that! I bought it for 2 bucks, then went on feeling lucky about my find. Yesterday, I was over again and it came up that she had "boxes of puzzles that she didn't want". My heart lit up and I quickly inquired about them. She pulled out 2 boxes full of puzzles. After spending 45 minutes wading through them (most of the stuff was actually magic trick stuff, 9 Square Cardboard Puzzles, and tangram-type things) I found these three gems. A Top Spin, A Turn Stile, and a Triple cross.

Now, for the actual intent of this thread. I was hoping to find some more information on the ones that I now own. I have used Jaap's page, the TP Museum, and a lot of online research, but haven't been able to find a ton of information. Here is what I have for each. If you have any more information you can give me on each puzzle, I am completely interested. I would like to know as much as possible about them. Designers, value, odds and ends, anything.

Top Spin:

I have the classic version. Grey plastic base, Purple wheel, yellow pieces. 1,2,3 type numbers 1-20. Nothing spectacular. It is identical to the one listed in the TP Museum*. 1989, Binary Arts

TurnStile:

The version I have has a green plastic with Pink, Purple, Green, Blue, and Yellow as the colors for solving. It is the same one pictured on Jaap's page in the top left picture**. Binary Arts, no clue on the year.

Triple Cross:

This one I know the least about in terms of the version I have. I know it is a Binary Arts puzzle, but the one I have is not picture on Jaap's page or in the museum. Mine has a base of medium gray plastic. The regular sliding tiles are a light gray. It has 3 round dots/bumps in orange, and the larger circle that is on 4 separate tiles is a green color. 2 of the regular tiles contain Binary and Arts, each on its own tile.

*http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=727
**http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/turnstil.htm

Post subject: Re: Top Spin, Turn Stile, and Triple Cross (Info Wanted)
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:55 pm 

Hello funmonkey54,

I have two of these puzzles: TurnStile and TripleCross. I kept the tri-fold booklets that came with the puzzles. Since these puzzles are no longer in production, it should be okay to share the booklets with the puzzle community. These booklets contain copyrighted material by Binary Arts and their use here should qualify as Fair Use or Fair Dealing (for research, study, criticism, review, et cetera).

Enjoy,

Skarabajo.

Attachments:
File comment: TurnStile booklet.
TurnStile.pdf [1.14 MiB]
Downloaded 130 times
File comment: TripleCross booklet (re-organized pages for clarity).
TripleCross.pdf [1014.62 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
File comment: TurnStile and TripleCross with their booklets.
TurnStile_TripleCross.jpg
TurnStile_TripleCross.jpg [ 303.95 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 pm 

Thank you very much for providing these links. Unfortunately, my computer rejects the pdf format. Is there any possible way to get these simply converted, or have the pages turned into images which I could then print off? If not, I will try any other approaches recommended so that I might learn more about these. Once again, I thank you for providing these.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 pm 

funmonkey54 wrote:
Thank you very much for providing these links. Unfortunately, my computer rejects the pdf format. Is there any possible way to get these simply converted, or have the pages turned into images which I could then print off? If not, I will try any other approaches recommended so that I might learn more about these. Once again, I thank you for providing these.

Try installing PDF X-Change viewer. It's quick and easy and has a ton of stuff in it.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:19 pm 

Is it free to use?
And is there a download link on the website?

PS, I have looked, but with a headache, it's very difficult to find even the simplest of things. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:20 pm 

http://www.tracker-software.com/download/PDFXVwer.zip

direct download from the website. It loads way faster than adobe's PDF reader and was on lifehacker as one of the best.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:21 pm 

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 pm 

The TurnStile pamphlet has this:

IF YOU NEED THE SOLUTION:
If you get hopelessly stuck playing Turnstile, we have developed a codebook for how to solve the puzzle. If you would like a copy, send $1 to:

[Address]

Do you, Skarabajo, or anyone else have this solution booklet that you could scan? Or, if you would like to sell it, I will gladly reimburse your dollar plus shipping. xD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm 

Thru the years, there were several puzzles that offer the solution by mail. I never order any solution as I always thought that it defeated the purpose of the puzzle. But now I kind of regret it, solely for the collectability of such solutions...

Skarabajo.