Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Homer Simpson head 2x2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm 

i recently won an auction on ebay for a Homer Simpson 2x2. i paid 14 dollars for it and it is still sealed in the box...
could someone tell if this is a good deal/ how rare it is?
sorry for all these similar questions about rarity but im just curious! :)

thanksssss

Post subject: Re: Homer Simpson head 2x2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:14 pm 

christian b wrote:
i recently won an auction on ebay for a Homer Simpson 2x2. i paid 14 dollars for it and it is still sealed in the box...
could someone tell if this is a good deal/ how rare it is?
sorry for all these similar questions about rarity but im just curious! :)

thanksssss
It isn't really rare. I don't think $14 is too bad, neither getting ripped off nor a steal.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:08 pm 

I have a pretty good idea of how rare/information/prices on a lot of things that you see on ebay. Feel free to send me some private messages when you have questions about things like this. It can help keep the forum from being overrun by these types of threads, and I have a lot more free time than some of the people that know a lot about these on this forum. I would gladly help you with your questions.

Also, for anyone wondering, I am not claiming to know more than most of the seasoned members here, nor am I claim expertise in this category, I am just trying to offer what I do know.

Most of what I know is from these forums, talking to Rox, and just doing research on my own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 am 

Anyone who bought it knew there's no solution so why bother messing it up? So of course it's new in box. There's millions of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 am 

ndiamond wrote:
Anyone who bought it knew there's no solution so why bother messing it up? So of course it's new in box. There's millions of them.

This appears to be a rather ignorant statement. Whether or not the millions number is accurate, I am not completely sure, but I highly doubt your figure. It is unwarranted at that.

This is a 2x2, and solves as such. A guide on how to solve a 2x2 is not hard to find, nor is it difficult to get through. So not opening it for that reason is ridiculous.

Next, they do not advertise on the box the lack of instructions, so if there are indeed no instructions included (I am not sure, temporarily assuming he claims truth here although I doubt it as it would be the only Rubik's product I had ever seen that didn't include them) many people would be entirely unaware of this fact.

Any puzzle that is in great condition and new in the box when it has already been owned is an uncommon thing in and of itself as the natural urge when you buy something new is to rip it open and play with it. Especially when it is a toy. Remember that Rubik's advertises to the HUMAN community, not just the PUZZLE community.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 am 

I can't be sure, bu I think these did come with a set of instructions. I know Darth Maul has a pamphlet in the packaging. All my solution booklets/sheets are in the office. I'll be sure to check when I go in again on Friday! (Haven't I just the greatest job-tomorrow I get to go meet with Mr. Tangle and co., I'm going to stop by Meffert's office to say hello to Chrystal, and then go have dinner with the big boys on campus-notice, no work related agenda :lol: ) And I still get paid!

And to think I got this all by using the 'wrong' prepositions :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:30 pm 

funmonkey54 wrote:
ndiamond wrote:

This appears to be a rather ignorant statement.

Please try to watch a few episodes of the Simpsons to see why satire suits a Homer Simpson puzzle.

If you can't see them (for example I could only see a few while travelling abroad), then see if you can find some of Matt Groenig's books that were published before the Simpsons started.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:25 am 

Satirical expression used correctly implies some level of folly in the initial post. He simply posted with a hope of informational inquiry and your use of "satire" could very quickly become misleading. The condescension is unnecessary in this instance. Also, to avoid any future confusion, a smiley or something denoting the use of subtle satire might be helpful? :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm 

funmonkey54 wrote:
Satirical expression used correctly implies some level of folly in the initial post.
Huh?

Though even if that were true, surely the initialization was Homer Simpson, who is a high level of folly.

funmonkey54 wrote:
The condescension is unnecessary in this instance. Also, to avoid any future confusion, a smiley or something denoting the use of subtle satire might be helpful? :)

I sense self-contradiction in your posting.

Anyway, your "location" setting doesn't show if you're in a place that gets Simpsons TV shows (and mine shows that I'm not, but I've seen it a few times while travelling abroad). If you knew who Homer Simpson was then I think the satire should have been pretty obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 pm 

I watch the simpsons every night and i didnt get it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 pm 

eye2eye wrote:
I watch the simpsons every night and i didnt get it

Precisely. I doubt many did as there was not much to signify it.

And I am fairly certain that I live in the US, where we get Simpsons pretty often on more than one channel. I am familiar with the Simpsons as am I with satirical statements. And trust me, the kind of humor in the Simpsons does not comply with your original post, nor does your post manifest itself as a Satire in any way shape or form. The argument that is is a satire in the first place is invalid anyways.

Now, if you would like to make a joke that fits with the type of humor in the Simspons, feel free to use any of the following as your topic. A little coaching in successful jocularity can't hurt.

Donuts
Pants
Alcohol
Pain

These are the main recipe for a Simpsons relate joke. Have fun with it. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:24 pm 

aaaaaaaannnyways haha if i open this (which i reaaally want to) would the value go down much? im fairly certain this isnt worth much at all, but id still like to know if it'd be worth it or not to open it...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 am 

christian b wrote:
aaaaaaaannnyways haha if i open this (which i reaaally want to) would the value go down much? im fairly certain this isnt worth much at all, but id still like to know if it'd be worth it or not to open it...
Thanks for bringing us back on topic (let's consider the other discussion closed, and move any further talk of that issue to PMs) :)

Right now there would be pretty much no value lost if you open it as it isn't overly rare. There is a chance that in the future, if it becomes rare, this would matter but that is a gamble none can know now.

Dave