Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reasons for collecting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:36 pm 

After seeing and meeting many collectors, as well as discussing the reasoning behind the existence
of their collections, my curiosity has been asking me of whether there are more reasons than the
ones I know.

Mainly, collectors gather their puzzles because of a combination of the following reasons:

1. Historical value,
2. Mathematical diversity,
3. Distinct mechanical structure types,
4. Increasing value due to rarity and/or quality,
5. Speedsolving,
6. Inspiration for other fields,
7. Educational teaching,
8. Uniqueness of the set of puzzles gathered,
9. Mental training,
10. Showing off(!).

I wonder if I am missing any other reasons, and also, what would be *your* reason for collecting?
In my case, all are true, except Nr 5.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject: Re: Reasons for collecting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:48 pm 

Although I don't have a very large collection, I'd say all of them, besides #7.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:50 pm 

you forgot

11. Addiction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 pm 

Simple addiction is good enough for me :D

I solved my first Rubik's cube, then just went nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:02 pm 

Personally, I enjoy the satisfaction of solving a puzzle most cannot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 pm 

12. Something to do in my retirement years (finally solve that one that always alluded me when I was younger and didn't have the time)
13. Just one more way to make people think I'm smart/foolish/crazy/you fill in the adjective :lol:
14. A better way of meeting interesting people than joining the Army (and as the T-shirt says-killing them)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:54 pm 

Only 2, 3, and 9 for me. I want to solve the puzzles I collect!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:06 am 

katsmom wrote:
you forgot

11. Addiction
That's my main one!

As for the rest:

1. Historical value,
10. Showing off(!).

Wow.

Either I'm one of the pure breeds, or I'm one sick puppy.

I need to think up some other reasons of my own to make me seem a bit more normal.

When and where's that Collectors Anonymous meeting, io/Jason? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:31 am 

for me it's all but 1, 2, and 7, except, I'm not entirely sure about 2...(this includes 11-14 as well :wink: )
So, yes. I also enjoy:
15. The aesthetically appealing looks of puzzles
16. Solving a new puzzle challenge for the first time

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:56 am 

I am and have been a collector of many kinds of things that please me, give me satisfaction of ownership (to look at them, to feel them, to use them, to show them for their diversity, ...)
My collecting interests have risen and died over the years and there are many fields where I finally decided
a) to stop collecting and after some time
b) give my collection away.
I guess this might come true also for the cube collection, although this is one collection I cherish for more than 27 years already (unbroken collecting record till now).

Regarding cubes and the like:
At the beginning (1981) I didn't collect cubes, I just wanted to have all the cubes I came to see in the books I got. So I first collected books about the cube to get more information about it.
When I came to know other collectors, although the range of known cubes (known to me that is) exploded, I still was confident to be able to get them all, should I have enough time and money.

Then came the addiction.

Today I seem to be healed (touches wood).

Most important thing for me today is to be able to take all these cubes into my hands, notice the differences, make projects of books to write about them, meet other people interested in the same way as I am, take the challenge to solve several of them, ...
I'm afraid that now I am collecting informations (about the history mostly), and to get the information I need more cubes to compare, so finally I seem to come back to addiction.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:52 am 

#2-4, 8 I am want to be the first to do something that I am not going to type becuase then it could inspire others to be the first at it :wink: :mrgreen:

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 am 

elijah wrote:
15. The aesthetically appealing looks of puzzles

I was about to add this reason myself. Some people like paintings and sculptures. I think twisty puzzles look great! A well-made puzzle is like an accessible piece of modern art. You can fiddle with it and make patterns as well, unlike things in a modern museum. The solving is secondary to me.

Some good examples:
Babylon tower
Brainstring Advanced
Qubami
Elemental:Neon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:51 pm 

solve the challenges...

many challenges means many puzzles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:08 pm 

Here are some reasons I collect:

I like how some customs feel when you turn them
the historical value of vintage puzzles
knowing that there are only a certain amount in the world (if it's a puzzle like that)
having somethign to show for instead of just wasting money on a bunch of small things
solving (not speedsolving tho)
addiction

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:16 pm 

I buy puzzles if I want to solve them, like the look of them or just think that they're cool. I want an Alexander's start too :wink:.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:57 pm 

Dave already described my reasons (well, his reasons actually) for collecting puzzles in this post, and since I am unable to express myself as beautifully as he did, I will just quote him. :wink:

Dlitwin wrote:
For me there are a few reasons.

The first is the mental challenge. I like puzzling a solution out. But this is not unique to twisties, so something about the feel of the puzzle in my hands and the puzzle space (sequential movement) appeals to me as well.

The second is sheer beauty. Puzzles, to me, are art. A black plastic puzzle with shiny new stickers still gets me. Symmetry, color, shape changing. Amazing.

The third has to do strictly with the pleasure of owning something rare. That is not specific to puzzles at all and shared by pretty much any collector. Knowing you have something others crave is attractive, but often it doesn't matter what others think: Perhaps it is just an item you never obtained or one that completes a set.

The fourth builds on the third, and that is owning something rare but hand built by a builder you respect. This, for me, is a recent reason. Until I found TwistyPuzzles two years ago I didn't really think about it as I collected mainly for the first two reasons (primarily number one).

What makes a puzzle a must have? Any one of these reasons will do. But if one puzzle has all four I am in trouble. Many of the puzzles I crave are shape mods by real craftsmen but they don't offer much for reason number one. But there are a few builders mining new territory in that area, specifically Adam, Drew and the.drizzle (not a complete list, but these guys stand out for designs with solutions not related to any other puzzle).

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:15 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
[...]what would be *your* reason for collecting?

My reasons for collecting is because I like the feeling of accomplishment when I solve a puzzle, and the wider the variety of puzzles, the better the feeling. :lol: I also like exploring how solutions from one puzzle can be generalized to another puzzle, and discerning mathematical patterns to it. The only solutions that I've looked at are the 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and the Square One. I solved everything else on my own, though I admit that many of my solutions aren't exactly efficient. :-) I'm a sucker for generality, so after I learned Philip Marshall's "Ultimate Solution" (which solves the 3x3x3 with only two algos, both commutators), I pretty much apply the same thing to all other puzzles.(**) So far, the only puzzle I haven't tried it on is the Square One.

(**) Edit: by "same thing" I mean that I use commutators for all other puzzles. So far, I haven't found anything that can't be solved by the two basic commutators: ABA'B' and ABCB'A'BC'B'. Sometimes I wonder if Magic Cube 4D requires a third kind of commutator, involving 4 different twists. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:46 pm 

1. Historical value,
4. Increasing value due to rarity and/or quality,
9. Mental training,
10. Showing off(!).

I would also say beauty and admiration is right up on top of my list. I can really appreciate a puzzle for its beauty even though I can't solve it. Topping that list is the Teraminx I got from the wonderful people of Twisty Puzzles, arranged by Dave Calzone. I also admire puzzles I don't have, such as most of the stuff made and showcased on this site. There are some amazingly talented people out there, and I'm always excited to see new stuff being made.

I also agree with Rox- I was addicted to collecting puzzles. I couldn't stop until I had to.

On a side note regarding #9 (mental training), I had two boxes of puzzles with me in the hospital, one of the different order puzzles (2x2-7x7), pyraminx, sq-1, skewb, megaminx, some others, and another box filled with maybe 12-15 3x3's. The doctors would come in my room and say it was amazing that I had the concentration to solve these puzzles given the amount of chemotherapy I had gone through. Granted, the 3x3's are mostly muscle memory, but some of the more complex algs (parity on a 5x5 or 7x7 for example where there are 15 or so steps involved) were a feat to keep focused. I used the cubes nearly every day, and they said that probably helped a lot with my mental well-being. Even the simple things were difficult for me on some days. I remember messing up 3x3 LL algs. Those were bad days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:58 am 

For the longest time I didn't collect anything. I never thought a collection of anything was worth the money spent on it, as most collections seem useless.

I started out with
7. Educational teaching
and it kind of evolved from there.

Now I would have to say the reasons are
1. Historical value,
2. Mathematical diversity,
9. Mental training,
11. Addiction (I just can't walk away from a puzzle even if I have plenty of the same kind),
15. The aesthetically appealing looks of puzzles.

Despite these reasons I still don't spend too much money on my collection.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:26 am 

My thoughts on the 10 points.

1. Historical value, there is little historical value in a rubik's cube in my oppinion, saving hungary from the economic crisis at the most.
2. Mathematical diversity, I never looked into the maths of a puzzle
3. Distinct mechanical structure types, The inner workings are one of the most interesting things to me yes.
4. Increasing value due to rarity and/or quality, As I own a cheese, I am obligated to say yes here
5. Speedsolving, yes, though my times are not that great
6. Inspiration for other fields, no
7. Educational teaching, no, though you are referring here to why erno made the cube in the first place?
8. Uniqueness of the set of puzzles gathered, yes, but that to me is part of the mechanical diiversity explained above, though to some even a sticker modification is enough
9. Mental training yes
10. Showing off(!). the only way one can show off with a puzzle collection is to another collecter, so it does not apply to me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:24 am 

I started collecting only after getting addicted to the cube and speedsolving.
Generally, I'm against the principle of materialistic accumulation and find collecting somewhat unhealthy. One of the main reasons I collect puzzles is for their aesthetic value. Therefore my collection is rather minimal. I'm not into collecting more than one of the same puzzle, so I don't have 100's of different 3x3's in their fancy original packaging. I just love the purety of the lines and geometry of the puzzles, like a simple 3x3, a void megaminx, a pyraminx crystal or a Jing's pyraminx. Therefore I'm not so interested in puzzles like the UFO simply because of aesthetic reasons. I also try to maintain an overall harmony and continuity in my collection, as far as colors and shapes are concerned.
...And of course, I love the different funky twisting mechanisms

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:06 am 

Everybody started playing the xBox 360, and I didn't like it. I acknowledged that when people completed a game, they would be congratulated slightly, but then once that person had done it, the novelty had worn off. I realised that whilst the xBox was entertaining (for them, not me), there was no real individuality in success. At some point everybody completed the game.

I wanted something that would pass the time whilst they played, which was also something that not everybody could do. Enter the Rubik's cube. Another friend had introduced me to it before. He could already solve it, but I didn't really think "I'm going to learn to do that". I usually outshine him in everything so I figured I'd let him have this over me. He offered me his old cube when he got a cheap Studio cube and gave me the link to Dan Brown's tutorial. He said "If you can't solve this by the end of the week you ave to tell everybody that I am better than you at evrything". This was on a Thursday. I had 3 days to learn Dan Brown's tutorial (Which isn't the easiest to follow). I'd done it (By cheating. Wrote the algorithms on my hand) and we solved together for a while. He then told me that there were bigger and smaller versions of the puzzle. For me the novelty of the original had worn off slightly, so I looked into them. I got the 2x2 and 4x4, followed by the Square-1 etc. I soon built up a collection and sped up on all my cubes. He still only own the 3x3 and doesn't sub-90 sec yet, but we're still good friends.

Since then I've taught 2 people how to solve the cube (One using the beginner's method [Who has in turn taught someone else], one currently uses the keyhole method with beginners LL) and 2 people how F2L works.

That's how I got into cubing and collecting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:48 pm 

I began with
9. mental training, I solved the 3x3 and got excited and bougth 4x4 and 5x5 and then discovered Meffer skewb and I liked it, and so...

Since then I only have bought puzzles that I like very much. Except Dogic and Alexander Star, which I don't remember why I bough them (but I don't regret, specially Dogic 8-) )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:41 am 

All but seven and five is only in the case of getting a high quality cube in which they are all perfectly good speed cubes.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:33 pm 

My reasons for collecting are: mathematical beauty and harmony, exciting of solving, endless entertaining for guests (mostly children, but certain types of adults too), thirst of new challenges (modern and antique). And let's not forget a general passion for collecting. Every man needs a hobby or two, often this includes collecting, and women seem to understand this well enough. :D

I prefer not to think about the value of the puzzles I own, since I don't plan to sell them. But I am often aware of the value of puzzles I don't own, since I need to plan when and where to buy them, possibly today. :roll: Fortunately or not, I still didn't cross my collector's pick, so I buy new puzzles a lot. My poor purse screams... My post-office workers see me more often than the parents... :) Well, I still prefer to think I am not too crazy. ;)