Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Le Cube
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:33 pm 

I have searched for a few hours now and I have yet to see anything about this puzzle, other than an eBay auction.

I bought it at an Antique Store named Curiosities for $10.50 USD, in Garland, TX i believe

Its a 3x3x3 obviously but its colors are unusual, so I know it MUST be a knock-off right?

It has a White side on "top", Black on left, Orange on Right, Its in package so I can't see the bottom, Front Green, Back Purple. My guess is the bottom is Red.

its in a plastic Cubic "dome"
the white side looks like it has some discoloration but the package looks like its never been opened.

There are a few things I'd like to know. How much is it worth now(probably not much but who knows), who made it, and (if possible) what year it was made.

In store

In the light of a cloudy day.

White discolored/waterstainedish

Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Le Cube
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 pm 

It's here in the TP Museum.
EDIT: I don't believe this particular puzzle is worth that much. You could reach out to Georges who may be able to provide more information than what is shown on his site.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:47 pm 

Okay thanks! Should I PM him or just wait until he sees the topic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm 

LE CUBE. Black, yellow, light-green, white, orange and lilac stickers on black plastic. Made in Taiwan. Sold in USA. 1981.
Two versions exist, one in the square plastic container like shown above and one in a cylindrical plastic container.
ITC sued Dayton Hudson Corp. to force Le Cube off its shelves (Minnesota Tribune July 16, 1981)

http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6344

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:17 pm 

Georges, you should really consider publishing a book on just the 3x3 variations and the knowledge/articles you have to offer that are relevant to each. I would certainly be the first to purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm 

so...is it rare? Should i open the box?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 pm 

funmonkey54 wrote:
Georges, you should really consider publishing a book on just the 3x3 variations and the knowledge/articles you have to offer that are relevant to each. I would certainly be the first to purchase.

Thank you funmonkey54, I have been thinking about that. But I will have enough time only after retirement to do it, I guess.

graytman wrote:
so...is it rare? Should i open the box?

What is it worth? What a collector wants to pay to get it.
What is the current market price? I bought three of the kind for $21 in June 2007. That's ok if they are like the one you have.
The one I showed in my previous post came from Seattle in 1982, without a box. So of course I had to get a boxed one, too.
Always remember that you are reading here what a collector has to say.
Collectors are funny people and not always understandable by those who don't share the collector's passion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:35 pm 

I see what you are saying but there are different levels
of people who collect things. To me if it's not worth keeping in the box I'd take it out so I can play with it to compare to my
other cubes. But if it's MIB and it's really rare I probably won't take it out of the box. So what I want to ask is do you think that from a small collectors standpoint, that the puzzle is definately rare enough to consider it prized enough to not open it and
explore it's inner glory.

Hopefully you set your funniness aside to answer this one. Because from
what I see, this cube is rare because not only is it from the 80's but its from only 1981 since according to the little info I have(thank you by the way) it was forced offthe shelves. Another question is that many rare puzzles are rareostly
because shelflife so to me 21$ is a rip off to the guy you bought it from if it was fairly recent but since the value is unknown to me in box idk what to think of it.

EDIT: Read the newspaper aritcle about it and it left me witheven mre questions! Also here's a way I can try to humurously reply to you...what wout you buy my Le cube for if you saw it on eBay in 2007 and the one guy you bought it from never existed(sorry guy:( )?

Thank you again for your time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:01 am 

graytman wrote:
I see what you are saying but there are different levels of people who collect things. To me if it's not worth keeping in the box I'd take it out so I can play with it to compare to my other cubes. But if it's MIB and it's really rare I probably won't take it out of the box. So what I want to ask is do you think that from a small collectors standpoint, that the puzzle is definately rare enough to consider it prized enough to not open it and explore it's inner glory.

Also, there are different kinds of rareness. Rareness is either objective, if it can be proved that there exist only a restricted number of items, or subjective, if you don't know how many exist, but want to have one badly.
F.i., to me the Dino Star seems objectively rare, but as I don't want one because the shape doesn't appeal to me, I am not on the lookout for one.
You decide what you do with your cubes: play, keep, leaxe untouched,...
I do not collect with the intention of selling again to make money.
graytman wrote:
Hopefully you set your funniness aside to answer this one. Because from what I see, this cube is rare because not only is it from the 80's but its from only 1981 since according to the little info I have(thank you by the way) it was forced offthe shelves. Another question is that many rare puzzles are rareostly
because shelflife so to me 21$ is a rip off to the guy you bought it from if it was fairly recent but since the value is unknown to me in box idk what to think of it.

The market and the prices asked or paid are not always filled with logic. As long as nobody can state with certitude that only half a dozen sealed Le Cube's exist, it isn't that rare I believe.
graytman wrote:
Read the newspaper aritcle about it and it left me witheven mre questions! Also here's a way I can try to humurously reply to you...what wout you buy my Le cube for if you saw it on eBay in 2007 and the one guy you bought it from never existed(sorry guy:( )?

Difficult to answer. By 2007 I had a sealed Le Cube, and I only bought the three boxed Le Cube's because I don't see them often and I always want to have trade items on stock. By the end of 2007 all three were traded.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 pm 

Well.. I made my decision I think, a freind of mine said not to open it because hethinks I should collect it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:12 pm 

Georges wrote:
Thank you funmonkey54, I have been thinking about that. But I will have enough time only after retirement to do it, I guess.

Haha, feel free to call me Charlie. Also, the wait will be well worth it. That just means more cubes and information to be included in it. When you start writing give me a call and I can fly out and help you sort through the books and cubes and put them into sections/types/etc. :)