Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Higher order v. Mechanism
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:32 pm 

Hey everbody,

Since this is my first post in the forum I'll include a brief introduction. I'm a student at the University at Buffalo, I started solving Rubik's cubes about a year ago after my roommate showed me the beginner's method, and later started collecting puzzles after my Dad gave me his Master Cube and Missing Link that had been collecting dust in our basement since the mid-eighties.

I was wondering what your opinions would be regarding collecting. Is it more fun to collect higher order puzzles, or to expand your collection with different mechanisms that involve different solution strategies? (i.e., should I next look for a Gigaminx or a Pyraminx Crystal).

Thanks for your input! :solved:

Post subject: Re: Higher order v. Mechanism
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 pm 

I'm a bit biasied towards the new mechanisms myself (doesn't stop me from owning a v7 though ;))

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:55 pm 

i have been cubing for about a year and a half, and the first 8 or so months was just obtaining and solving higher order cubes, now i want to try different mechanism to have new fun solving experiences, as well as trying out those new puzzles higer orders, which are a fair bit more difficult to obtain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:34 pm 

I'm more into getting puzzles with different mechanisms, but I will get a similar mechanism/higher order if the puzzle looks interesting(Ball.B - Flags for example).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:44 pm 

Finding out new solving strategies is the complete reason I collect. I need new challenges. But Gelatinbrain´s java applet kinda took over the solving part, so now I´m collecting pretty much every new puzzle that comes out, and tend to go for collectors items too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 pm 

My opinion - is collect what interests you, and only you... You have no way of knowing what will actually be valuable 20 years from now anyway - assuming you're collecting things that are going to be valuable some day.

I gave up some time ago trying to get "everything" because that is practically impossible, so I get more pleasure out of buying what I enjoy!

I tend to prefer going for puzzles that solve differently, but I also like to collect things that are a "set" - like all the golden cubes, or having as many different megaminx varieties as possible -i.e. Mefferts, SuperNova, holey megaminx etc... Or getting all the "order" of a puzzle, like megaminx, gigaminx, etc (ok I'm still working on that one :) )

Oh - and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 pm 

I do somewhat tend to buy puzzles with different mechanisms to the ones I currently have, as usually they are the ones I cannot solve. But I do buy higher order puzzles now and then (the Gigaminx and v7 are masterpieces :) )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:37 pm 

URodent wrote:
Hey everbody,

Since this is my first post in the forum I'll include a brief introduction. I'm a student at the University at Buffalo, I started solving Rubik's cubes about a year ago after my roommate showed me the beginner's method, and later started collecting puzzles after my Dad gave me his Master Cube and Missing Link that had been collecting dust in our basement since the mid-eighties.

I was wondering what your opinions would be regarding collecting. Is it more fun to collect higher order puzzles, or to expand your collection with different mechanisms that involve different solution strategies? (i.e., should I next look for a Gigaminx or a Pyraminx Crystal).

Thanks for your input! :solved:

Welcome to cubing! I go to Syracuse University and have a pretty good collection myself :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:36 pm 

I think everyone enjoys new mechanism the most, but they are usually more expensive and difficult to find.
I personally only own higher orders and shape mods of the rubik's cube, other than the braintwist, but I hope to own a FTRD and a helicopter cube soon.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 am 

I like both higher order puzzles and mechanisms. Generally speaking a higher order puzzle isn't simply "more of the same" as some creative ingenuity had to go into designing a mechanism to support the extra layers. So in essence a higher order puzzle IS a new mechanism.

I generally avoid shape and sticker mods unless they are very compelling or significant in some way simply due to the effectively infinite possible variants.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm 

In my opinion, you solve up to the 5x5 you've solved them all. They're all solved the same from then on.

however I think the Skewb is the outlier for this, because the master skewb looks like so much fun! (If a lower order skewb is possible, that's be cool too). Maybe it's because that one doesn't go from 2x2 - 7x7 patent - 11x11, blueprinted 12x12 and 17x17.

I prefer different cores, but the occasional completely different concept on an original puzzle is great too *CoughQubamiCough*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:29 pm 

I like your point about that master skewb. I noticed with that puzzle in particular that it's not possible to simply pair corners and faces and continue solving like a regular skewb the way higher order cubes (edit: face turning cubes) tend to be tackled. Can anyone out there who knows solutions to the master skewb attest that it's a different experience?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 pm 

Retr0 wrote:
In my opinion, you solve up to the 5x5 you've solved them all. They're all solved the same from then on.[...]

Actually, I disagree. If you can solve the 5x5x5 with distinguishible face centers, then yes, you've solved them all. But even so, a shape or sticker mod that changes which pieces are visually distinguishible may require a change in solution method.

For example, the Fisher Cube is essentially identical to a 3x3x3, but some of its face centers are orientation-sensitive, as are some edges. If all of them were orientation-sensitive, it wouldn't be overly hard; but in this case, because some are orientation-sensitive and others aren't, you can get into strange parity situations that you don't get on the original 3x3x3 or on the sticker mod that makes all face centers orientation-sensitive. Due to this, it actually makes a difference which face you start solving from, since that determines what kind of parities may crop up later.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:43 am 

different mechanisms, because higher order generally can be made from their lower order form but new mechanisms need to be designed.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?