Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My wonderful bug!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:57 am 

I have posted a picture before of some of the puzzles my little one has given me. She's got a real eye for spotting them. Well, last week she went to Disney again, and spotted two more. She spent her pocket money on puzzles for Mom! Could anyone ask for a better kid?

Instead of posting pictures of them individually, I put all the Disney puzzles she has bought me over the past couple of months (5 cubes and 3 slides) into one picture for your viewing pleasure:

Attachment:
image066.jpg
image066.jpg [ 145.13 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]

I also went to Smaz's shop today and he very nicely sold me these Escher type puzzles. not only do they match within the individual cubes, but two cubes can also match up with each other! Is that cool or what?

Attachment:
image055.jpg
image055.jpg [ 167.76 KiB | Viewed 950 times ]

Attachment:
image056.jpg
image056.jpg [ 160.62 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

Finally, I want to show Mickey Mouse! I have had the big one for ages, but won the smaller one on eBay. It came to me all messed up and took ages to solve-not because it was difficult, but because it has to be the worst turning puzzle ever made! While it looks nice, it's a real bear and I will shoot the first person who mucks it up! It's been put into a plastic display box and won't come out ever. :lol: the fish aren't lined up right.

Attachments:
image020.jpg
image020.jpg [ 109.17 KiB | Viewed 950 times ]
image057.jpg
image057.jpg [ 146.23 KiB | Viewed 953 times ]

Post subject: Re: My wonderful bug!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:07 pm 

So are there 3 different escher-type puzzles with each a different animal, or multiple animals on one cube? (yes, there is a black one and a white one, ignore that please :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 pm 

WOW :D great daughter, if only my sister would do that :? I especially like the Escher type puzzles.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:52 am 

The M.C. Escher cube designs were made by Waran of this forum.

I wonder if they were used with permission or not.

Last edited by Bounb on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:06 am 

Without any malice, Escher cubes have been around for ages. I saw an Escher fish cube when I was a teen. I'm not arguing your statement-just stating a fact. If you read your post that you linked to, you would also see that Phillip K showcased these in 1996. Not 2009.

The turtles I'd give him credit for-not having seen these before. The fish I would have to argue are a much older design. The lizards? Who knows. Again, looking at the company that produced it. I'm doubtful they asked anyone's permission.

And for the record, Smaz bought these for himself-not to sell. I just saw them and twisted his arm. I'm pretty good at arm twisting when I see something I want. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:18 am 

Here is one of those Philip made:

I got it in March 1996 and traded a 4x4x4 for it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 am 

Didn't Chris Bandelow make an Escher's cube? or was it a flower cube that had the Escher's pattern on it. I remember seeing it in a catalog years and years ago. Or am I just getting senile?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:25 am 

Bounb wrote:
The M.C. Escher cube designs were made by Waran of this forum.

I wonder if they were used with permission or not.

But I thought Escher was dead, so I'm sure he won't mind. :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 am 

katsmom wrote:
Without any malice, Escher cubes have been around for ages. I saw an Escher fish cube when I was a teen. I'm not arguing your statement-just stating a fact. If you read your post that you linked to, you would also see that Phillip K showcased these in 1996. Not 2009.

Kelvin Stott wrote:

Yes this is fair use I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am 

Bounb wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

Actually the Escher estate is extremely protective of his artwork; they aggressively pursue anything they see as infringement. I own a shirt that looks like this that I bought 20+ years ago in Berkeley. But you won't find a shirt like this anywhere today, at least not legally. The Escher estate long ago barred anyone from making any Escher shirts except very boring, licensed designs with a simple copy of a print on the front. (At least, that was the state some years ago; it could have changed.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:26 am 

bhearn wrote:
Bounb wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

Actually the Escher estate is extremely protective of his artwork; they aggressively pursue anything they see as infringement. I own a shirt that looks like this that I bought 20+ years ago in Berkeley. But you won't find a shirt like this anywhere today, at least not legally. The Escher estate long ago barred anyone from making any Escher shirts except very boring, licensed designs with a simple copy of a print on the front. (At least, that was the state some years ago; it could have changed.)

Good point. Copyright lasts 70 years after death of the author, depending on the country, but Escher died in 1972 (I thought he died much earlier), so the copyright in his works (presumably owned by his family) will not expire until 2042!