Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crazy 4x4 Cube Quick Review
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

Crazy 4x4 Cube Quick Review

To some it may look exactly the same as a 4x4 but with a circle in the middle. Looking at the puzzle it may be difficult for some to work out exactly how this circular addition operates.

How it works:
As you turn the outer layers, the circular centre remains stationary whilst the rest of the face moves. If you turn the inner layers everything on said face rotates, just like a 4x4. This way it can be scrambled further than a 4x4, but not as far as a 6x6.

The solution:
-Solve the circular centers as a 2x2.
-Solve the centers similar to that of a 4x4. Remember to solve the outer centers around the circular centers.
-Pair up edges just like you would for a 4x4.
-Solve as a 3x3 (As you would a 4x4) and fix any parity errors you may receive.
-Parity error algorithms will slightly scramble your circular centers. I haven't worked out exactly how to fix this yet, but when I do I'll add it to this.

Anatomy:
This puzzle has a similar feel to the Rubik's brand 4x4, but isn't as 'blocky'. Upon disassembly it looks similar to one as well. I attempted to change the edges and corners around, just to see if it would work (I know, why would I want to do such a silly thing) and whilst it does, the pieces seem to be a little loose. As it turns out the Crazy 4x4 is slightly bigger (About 1-2mm) than the Rubik's 4x4. If you buy it from Mf8 it will come pre-lubricated.
The turning is far better than a Rubik's 4x4. It's much faster and less 'tight' than the 4x4, but when it locks up, it locks up big time. It's a fairly loud puzzle, louder than a V-cube 6, but this may be due to the fact that the sound is lower and therefore sounds bigger. As a result of a Rubik's 4x4 like core and a tendency to lock up, the corner cutting isn't great either.

Final Verdicts:
Feel (Personal opinion): 7/10. It's FAR better than the 4x4 in touch-terms.
Resistance to lock-ups: 3-4/10
Resistance to pops: 8/10 atm. I haven't had a piece pop out per se, but the visible part of the corner came off. It just pushes back on though.
Complication: 6-7/10. It would be a 5-6, but the parity/circular centre juxtaposition can be VERY annoying.
Speed: 7/10. If it doesn't lock up, it's like the just below average gazelle of the puzzle world.
Sticker quality (not vital): 8/10. I've solved it 4 times in 24 hours and the stickers seem to be doing fine. Only time will tell.

Total: 6.5 - 7/10. for a first model, it's very good imo. As a result of lock-ups it isn't really speed-solve worthy, but I'm sure someone will find a way to sort that out soon.

It's definitely a puzzle to buy imo, whether a collector, casual solver, modder or maybe speedsolver if you dabble in speed-based mods.

Note: If this is in the wrong area, I apologise. Please move if necessary.

Last edited by Retr0 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Crazy 4x4 Cube Quick Review
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:40 am 

Since this puzzle contains an inner 2x2x2, what does the 2x2x2 mechanism compare to? Is it as smooth as an Eastsheen 2x2x2, or is it more clunky like the Rubik's mech? Another thing to consider is how the inner mechanism compares to the outer one, seeing as this puzzle has a double mechanism. I can't help but notice that on many higher-order puzzles, one layer depth often turns more smoothly than the other, like the Rubik's 5x5x5 in which the inner cuts turn much more smoothly that the outer ones. I ordered my Crazy 4x4x4 from mf8 a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten to play with it yet as I am away in school right now.

Nice little review BTW - Concise and to the point. :solved:

If you're still concerned over parity issues and other speculation regarding the Crazy 4x4x4 series, there is some wonderful discussion of the puzzle HERE:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14856

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 am 

^In response to your questions:

The 2x2 mech is most comparable to that of a Rubik's brand 2x2, since the centers are very good at cutting corners, and whilst they feel a little clunky, they are very smooth and fast.

Comparing the layers to each other, it is clear the 2x2 mech is the better mechanism. It is FAR less prone to lock-ups and, as already mentioned, can cut corners very well whilst the 4x4 mech can't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:16 am 

uhm, what do you mean when you say the parity algs occasionally scrambles the circles? you make it sound like it does not do it every time :scrambled:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:09 am 

PixelSalt wrote:
uhm, what do you mean when you say the parity algs occasionally scrambles the circles? you make it sound like it does not do it every time :scrambled:

Upon fixing the 4x4 parity errors, the circles (Which were solved with the 2x2 method) will no longer be in a solved state. The "layer" will have rotated a turn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 pm 

i know that the parity alg's messes with the circles (i have a crazy 4x4) but you said "occasionally" doesn't that mean like "sometimes" ?
EDIT: as in sometimes it doesn't scramble the circles?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:17 pm 

PixelSalt wrote:
i know that the parity alg's messes with the circles (i have a crazy 4x4) but you said "occasionally" doesn't that mean like "sometimes" ?
EDIT: as in sometimes it doesn't scramble the circles?

Ah, well spotted. Thought I'd deleted that upon proofreading.