Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mass-Produced Cuboctahedron
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:17 pm 

I was recently browsing the toy section of my local second-hand store when I came across a cuboctahedron. At $2.99, I decided to buy it. Through the process of attempting to solve it, I was forced to take it apart and was then able to confirm that it was not a custom modification. My question is: how rare are these mass-produced Cuboctahedrons? Due to some bandwidth issues, I was not able to include pictures however if they are necessary for a proper appraisal then I can post them on another site and then direct a link to that.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Mass-Produced Cuboctahedron
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:24 pm 

i would appreciate some pics. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:27 pm 

Does it look like this: Image or this: Image

The one on the left is a truncated cube while the one on the right is a cuboctahedron.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:54 pm 

It's the one on the right (I'm certain that it is a Cuboctahedron and not a truncated cube)

I sucessfully uploaded some pictures to My Blog

As you can see, there are stickers missing and I had to swap some in order to solve it. I am guessing that someone got frustrated with it and donated it.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 pm 

I have one of those; they were readily available in the early 80s. Mine is also missing some of the small stickers. It's not really very interesting; it's just a simple shape mod of a cube.

Also this cube made an appearance in the Tim Burton Batman movie. Joker (Jack Nicholson) has one lying around his lair.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:16 pm 

I was not aware of it's presence in Batman...I mainly just want to find out how rare it is currently (because finding rare puzzles at low prices is fun and then I could go and feel all happy about it :P )...@bhearn: you said that it was readily available in the 80s. Are they still somewhat available as a mass-produced product? I only found one on eBay. The seller mentioned that the one that he was selling was an original and not a cheap reproduction which leads me to the question (myself being inexperienced in the matter) of whether or not mine is an original. If more pics are necessary to answer this question, I can take some (including mech pictures).

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 pm 

I made one a while ago (just ordered the stickers) and will be selling it on ebay soon. I'm hoping for over $50.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 pm 

quicksolver wrote:
I was not aware of it's presence in Batman...I mainly just want to find out how rare it is currently (because finding rare puzzles at low prices is fun and then I could go and feel all happy about it :P )...@bhearn: you said that it was readily available in the 80s. Are they still somewhat available as a mass-produced product? I only found one on eBay. The seller mentioned that the one that he was selling was an original and not a cheap reproduction which leads me to the question (myself being inexperienced in the matter) of whether or not mine is an original. If more pics are necessary to answer this question, I can take some (including mech pictures).

I'd imagine yours is an original. I'm not sure how rare they are now. (E.g. I only realized recently that Cristoph's Jewel is considered rare. Who knew?) No, I don't think they've been mass produced for a long time, and I haven't seen any obvious copies for sale.

I could do a comparison with mine, but I just moved away for a year, and left most of my puzzles in storage. (But I still brought a lot with me!) I don't remember whether I brought that one or not; I'm still unpacking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07 pm 

I see the 80's version on ebay every once in a while and they tend to go for around $20 or so. I say good find!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:43 pm 

I have one like this too. The stickers were poor, and some were missing. I got a set from Cubesmith, and put those on. I'm sure it devalues the puzzle by replacing the original stickers, but it wasn't worth much in the condition I got it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 pm 

I also have one. It was my uncles, if I remember correctly he got it in 82.

4x4x4- 1:10.39
5x5x5- 3:7.96
Pyraminx- 4.61
Magic- 1.18
Master Magic- 7.96
Square- 1-35.05
Megaminx- 3:1.74
Skewb- 10.73!!
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kornfan140

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 pm 

They were sold in the early eighties as Diamond Puzzler.

and came in these boxes amongst others:

Some years ago I found several in plastic containers sold as Dream Puzzler. They were for sure newly made.

The Dream Puzzler came in other shape variations, too.

The price you got yours for is very acceptable.