Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: mastermorphix
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:38 am 

I wanted to be able to post this and say there is a big difference between the originals and the copies. Sadly, I cannot. the copies are copied right down to the same mold lines, and a chink that has been taken out of the edges of one of the pieces. They all weigh the same. The difference is in some of them are prelubricated, and the colors of the stickers. I will post the internals when I get them taken apart later, but for now, here are the set of them all.

I have been told there was a discussion about the copied cubes prior to their release, but the owners wishes weren't taken into consideration. As far as I can tell, there is no way to know which is an original and which isn't. A real shame if you ask me.

For those of you that are wondering, when the Meffert's is solved correctly, the lines in the stickers do line up.

Attachments:
image078.jpg
image078.jpg [ 155.36 KiB | Viewed 3043 times ]

Post subject: Re: mastermorphix
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:52 am 

katsmom wrote:
a chink that has been taken out of the edges of one of the pieces.

A chink or a chunk? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:09 am 

You know what, I read it as chunk. Weird.

I'm excited to get my mastermorphix, whenever it comes. The grooves lining up is a big plus!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:23 am 

A "chunk" is a big bit. A "chink" is a little bit. There was no pun intended. It was just a way of using words to describe the missing bit.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 am 

Hello, I haven't decide yet which one to buy. I think I'll wait a little more. In the meantime, I have a couple of questions:

The ones in the bottom row are obviously from Meffert's, the ones to the right of the top row are from *edited*. (Sorry, I should not use the KO company name and I shouldn't ask about other KO companies :oops: )

Something else... call me OCD, but I don't like how the text in Meffert's mastermorphix seems slightly rotated and off-center (in these pictures and in the pictures of his website). Is the text printed/silkscreened or is it a transparent sticker on top of the color sticker (like some Rubik's 3x3s from the 80s)?

Skarabajo

Last edited by Skarabajo on Thu May 07, 2009 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:04 pm 

How difficult is it to solve this puzzle?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:14 pm 

It's just a shape modification of a standard 3x3x3 cube.

f
Will you join the Rebelution?
The teenage rebellion against low expectations.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:42 pm 

how long did it take for the mefferts ones to get ship to you

i ordered mine last monday

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:24 pm 

I just ordered mine from Mefferts. I'd much rather spend a few extra bucks to get an original than settle for a knockoff, even if it is the same exact puzzle.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:17 pm 

Wow, those Mefferts ones must have gotten there fast!
I hope mine get here soon!
Very nice group :D

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:31 pm 

I know I still have a couple of weeks.

Also
Skarabajo wrote:
Something else... call me OCD, but I don't like how the text in Meffert's mastermorphix seems slightly rotated and off-center (in these pictures and in the pictures of his website). Is the text printed/silkscreened or is it a transparent sticker on top of the color sticker (like some Rubik's 3x3s from the 80s)?
This?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:36 pm 

Skarabajo wrote:
Hello, I haven't decide yet which one to buy. I think I'll wait a little more. In the meantime, I have a couple of questions:

The ones in the bottom row are obviously from Meffert's, the ones to the right of the top row are from cube4you. What about the ones to the left of the top row, who made those?

Skarabajo

Yes, me too.
That is a shame. A factory made, mass produced puzzle with such a basic mistake (misaligned text)... And they are not the KOs...
The Golden Cubes have this problem also.

Regards,
Paulo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 pm 

I just want to know if it's one or the other. If it's silkscreened on, I can get it off. And if it's stickered on, I can get it off. I just want to know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:12 pm 

To answer your questions, it is a transparent sticker placed on top of the others. So yes, if you want to you could take it off. The stickers are not offset, the puzzle is wobbly. It doesn't have a flat bottom, so you can't get it to stay flat for the picture.
How long did it take? Around 35 minutes. You guys forget I live here. I went over and picked them up yesterday.

Mefferts black: 82
Mefferts White: 82
white with gold sticker: 82
black with silver sticker: 82
white with color sticker: 82
black with color sticker: 82

And some other unasked questions answered. The ones you are calling C4Y are not made by James (unless he has suddenly become a factory owner) they are made by a factory that usually packages things in a grey box. The ones with colored stickers that are not Meffert's come from a factory with a green box. This set came pre-lubed and had to be wiped down.

From the looks of things on the internet, you may as well buy the originals. YES, they are CHEAPER! Why pay the extra puzzle cost AND the shipping costs when you know you get a quality puzzle from Mefferts? But my bigger question is why would you purchase one from C4Y knowing it is not the original?

There is so much talk of getting rid of the copiers, and I posted these pictures for a couple of reasons. First because I was asked to, second to show there is no difference in quality and that the copiers are "taking" the originals and copying them right down to the mistakes (even though I had hoped that wouldn't be the case). And Finally, to try and persuade you to purchase the Meffert's puzzle rather than the one's from C4Y or ebay. They are selling a puzzle that wasn't theirs to sell, in the end, they cost more than Meffert's, and the puzzles from Meffert's have a kickback to the person who helped with the design. If you continue to purchase these puzzles from eBay and C4Y, you are really telling the copiers that it is alright to continue to do this.

Stickers can be changed. If you just want the puzzle, go for the Meffert's DIY. Put on your own stickers. Don't go to C4Y or eBay and take the stickers off. Put the money back into new puzzle design and innovation. We all want more, so why not pay the people who will do this for us!

I'll get off the soap box now.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:22 pm 

Thanks for all the info Roxanne.

But, what do you mean by " right down to the mistakes"?
Is there any?

Regards,
Paulo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 pm 

Here are the internals. Frank's RM is there for comparison. if you enlarge the picture, and look at teh missing corner pieces you will see thy have a chink taken out of them. Both on the Meffert's versions and on the copied versions. The meffert's one to look at is just below the piece with the red sticker, the copy version to look at is the one on the right just above the screw.

The puzzles in order are: Top-Frank's RM, Left-C4Y version (no, I didn't buy that from him), center-Meffert's, right-from the green box company.

Attachments:
IMG_1525.jpg
IMG_1525.jpg [ 37.64 KiB | Viewed 3055 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:01 pm 

a better picture of the "mistakes"
the meffert's is on the bottom, the copy on the top. If you look at the lower right side part that is attached to the core, you can see what I am talking about. The same can be seen on the core parts that are not attached. The sane "mistake can be found in the C4Y version, but I had too many puzzle bits opened and didn't want to fully open all of them, because, it really is hard for me to tell which piece belongs to which puzzle.

Attachments:
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg [ 27 KiB | Viewed 3016 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:12 pm 

ppeccin wrote:
That is a shame. A factory made, mass produced puzzle with such a basic mistake (misaligned text)... And they are not the KOs...

Regards,
Paulo

Paulo, my golden cubes don't have misaligned text. it seems to me an easy decision. Pay more for a copy plus shipping, or get the Meffert's without the added cost of shipping at a lower price than C4Y or ebay sellers are listing them for. As I said in another post, if you don't want the sticker colors offered, get the DIY and put on your own stickers.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm 

Oh, now I see it! :-)

Maybe this was left intentionally to help lift the caps?

Paulo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 pm 

I don't think it was, I'm hoping I'll get an answer for this, so I can be absolutly certain. in the mean time, this is where the "flash" (using a term from the building thread) is attached to the mold. I'm not sure how to explain that. The caps lift off via the corners, not that missing gap. It really doesn't help much in the removal. It isn't angled right to help.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 pm 

katsmom wrote:
To answer your questions, it is a transparent sticker placed on top of the others. So yes, if you want to you could take it off. The stickers are not offset, the puzzle is wobbly. It doesn't have a flat bottom, so you can't get it to stay flat for the picture.
How long did it take? Around 35 minutes. You guys forget I live here. I went over and picked them up yesterday.

Mefferts black: 82
Mefferts White: 82
white with gold sticker: 82
black with silver sticker: 82
white with color sticker: 82
black with color sticker: 82

And some other unasked questions answered. The ones you are calling C4Y are not made by James (unless he has suddenly become a factory owner) they are made by a factory that usually packages things in a grey box. The ones with colored stickers that are not Meffert's come from a factory with a green box. This set came pre-lubed and had to be wiped down.

From the looks of things on the internet, you may as well buy the originals. YES, they are CHEAPER! Why pay the extra puzzle cost AND the shipping costs when you know you get a quality puzzle from Mefferts? But my bigger question is why would you purchase one from C4Y knowing it is not the original?

There is so much talk of getting rid of the copiers, and I posted these pictures for a couple of reasons. First because I was asked to, second to show there is no difference in quality and that the copiers are "taking" the originals and copying them right down to the mistakes (even though I had hoped that wouldn't be the case). And Finally, to try and persuade you to purchase the Meffert's puzzle rather than the one's from C4Y or ebay. They are selling a puzzle that wasn't theirs to sell, in the end, they cost more than Meffert's, and the puzzles from Meffert's have a kickback to the person who helped with the design. If you continue to purchase these puzzles from eBay and C4Y, you are really telling the copiers that it is alright to continue to do this.

Stickers can be changed. If you just want the puzzle, go for the Meffert's DIY. Put on your own stickers. Don't go to C4Y or eBay and take the stickers off. Put the money back into new puzzle design and innovation. We all want more, so why not pay the people who will do this for us!

I'll get off the soap box now.

Sorry but the horrible irony of this post is overbearing and really getting to me.

You must own more knock-offs then anybody, yet you're parading not purchasing KO's.

Quite frankly, it's making me sick. Lead by example, not hypocrisy...

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:10 am 

First of all, I've said on numerous occasions that I have been taken by the sellers just like everyone else. If you also read, you will see that I purchased the ones from Meffert's. Others have been given to me by the manufacturers, or by sellers.

When asked which ones to buy I gave my opinion. And for the record, I am in China. If it is legal for sale and manufacture here, it is a LEGAL product for me. For you, it isn't.

You are right, there is a fair bit of hypocricy here. If you want me to stop posting the differences and how to tell the fakes from the real versions I will. Too bad other people like to know the difference. You see, It has been written by others that I am in a unique place on the globe. I have access to these. I have access to manufacturers. I have access to factories. You don't. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. It's very simple.

I know this sounds a bit harsh, but too many people are jumping on me for posting what many people have requested information on. Everyone wants information, and yet when I post it, every single time some one decides to come in and ridicule me. Quite frankly, I'm getting just a bit tired of it. Maybe it would be better if I just sat in my little puzzle corner, kept my head down and laughed at all the complaints that come in about buying fake cubes. And I can see the lamenting posts now "Why didn't Rox tell us this? She knew!" She did. And she got fed up! Go buy your fakes, and don't come crying to me when you find out.

Last edited by katsmom on Sun May 03, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:59 am 

I still like knowing if I'm going to get a fake or not. :(

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:29 am 

EMarx wrote:
Sorry but the horrible irony of this post is overbearing and really getting to me.
You must own more knock-offs then anybody, yet you're parading not purchasing KO's.
Quite frankly, it's making me sick. Lead by example, not hypocrisy...

I can understand your concern. But you should see this from a different angle.
Roxanne (being a true collector) always buys the originals first.
Then, the information (i.e. photos) she provides for the fake ones, can be very valuable,
not only for us (so that we know the differences), but also to the actual inventors,
(so that they can trace distributors selling illegal copies).

This is exactly why in the KO policy, it is not permitted to post links.
It is good to know which puzzles to avoid, and to not know where to buy those puzzles.
(something like protecting the inventor and the potential customers of the original puzzle).

In general, collecting, trading, selling, and examining puzzles, can all be related,
but are different actions, and should be treated differently, especially when there is
an honest motivation. And trust me, in this case, there is!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:54 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

In general, collecting, trading, selling, and examining puzzles, can all be related,
but are different actions, and should be treated differently, especially when there is
an honest motivation. And trust me, in this case, there is!

Pantazis

There is not an honest motivation in this. Katsmom only says "It's for you" so she can purchase every puzzle she gets her hands on and justify in her mind that what she is doing is right.
Proof:
katsmom wrote:
And for the record, I am in China. If it is legal for sale and manufacture here, it is a LEGAL product for me. For you, it isn't.

It doesn't matter if its legal for you and illegal for me. Ethically, for both of us, it's wrong. Don't try to justify what you are doing. If your going to smoke cigarettes, smoke up, but don't try to tell me that it isn't bad for you.

Honestly, if you can't tell the difference between the Meffert and a KO, you probably deserve being ripped off. Buy direct from Meffert and it is guaranteed authentic. Don't buy a single colored mastermorphix. Don't buy a mastermorphix that doesnt have the signature fluorescent labels. I don't need katsmom's "helpful" pictures and hypocritical advice to figure that much out.

Void Cubes for instance. Katsmom has a picture somewhere of her one authentic void cube, and 6 different KO's. Telling the difference between these is almost laughably easy. Considering that Gentosha only released a black body puzzle with their unique stickering scheme, it's easy to eliminate 5 out of the 6 KO's without a "helpful" run-down by katsmom. If it's white, tiled, or doesn't have the standard color scheme, it isn't authentic. Well thats 5 down. If it doesnt come with the original box, don't buy it. That's the last KO down. If a seller posts misleading pictures of an authentic product and you recieve a KO, theres nothing you can do, and it would of happened without katsmom "helping" you out.

Yes katsmom, do Uwe, and Hidetoshi, and Okamoto a favor and stop purchasing KO's under the guise of helping the forum out. And if they are being "sent" to you, contact the owner of the factory (if your that well known that manufacturers send you free illegal puzzles, this should be fairly easy) and tell them to stop sending them.

If you need katsmom to tell you this is fake
[removed]

and this is real (notice mefferts.com, flourescent labels, and "Mefferts Challenge" Sticker)
http://mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&th ... le_release

Then i feel bad for you.

Last edited by sausage on Sun May 03, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KO Source removed.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:41 am 

katsmom wrote:
ppeccin wrote:

Regards,
Paulo

Paulo, my golden cubes don't have misaligned text. it seems to me an easy decision. Pay more for a copy plus shipping, or get the Meffert's without the added cost of shipping at a lower price than C4Y or ebay sellers are listing them for. As I said in another post, if you don't want the sticker colors offered, get the DIY and put on your own stickers.

Sure, I already ordered mine from Mefferts. I never considered getting the KO's.
To be honest, the Golden Cube (plated ones) is the only puzzle from Mefferts that make me feel disappointed. Too many defects on the plating, uneven shades of color, and that "flash thing" showing between the pieces. They sent me replacement parts for free, though. That is the good thing about getting the originals from a trusty company.
All the others puzzles that I've gotten from them are good or excellent quality (like the Pyraminx Crystals).

Thanks again for all the info, and please keep contributions like this coming.

Regards,
Paulo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:30 am 

EMarx wrote:
If you need katsmom to tell you this is fake
[removed]

and this is real (notice mefferts.com, flourescent labels, and "Mefferts Challenge" Sticker)
http://mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&th ... le_release

Then i feel bad for you.

Go order a DIY that doesn't come with stickers on it.

Last edited by sausage on Sun May 03, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KO Source removed.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 pm 

EMarx wrote:
There is not an honest motivation in this. Katsmom only says "It's for you" so she can purchase every puzzle she gets her hands on and justify in her mind that what she is doing is right.

Now you are being too harsh and suspicious for no reason. I have met Roxanne in Hong Kong last January,
and have known her for quite some time already.

I am still not sure what you are accusing her for.

1. Distribution? (she doesn't trade those puzzles).
2. Linking to KO sites? (nope, as far as I can see).
3. Ethics? You mistook her words, she didn't say if it is legal to buy, she said it is legal to produce.
But we all agree that it is ethically wrong. Remember, she has already bought all originals of all puzzles.
4. Presenting KOs? I think we hit gold here. Stopping KOs is not based on a collector who already has
the originals. It is based on essential shared knowledge to distinguish authenticity.

Now, regarding the differences, most people in this forum are experts, but there are many others who are not.
So we need to know the differences so that people will know to recognise what is authentic and what is not.
Rubik, Mefferts, Verdes, all sell online, but their products also sell to other places. Not everyone can buy online.

Finally, did you see any message with Rox selling any of those? Or did you see her pointing to a seller?
This defamation should stop, especially as she had helped me, Verdes, and Uwe, in ways that you will never know.
(trust me on this!)

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:31 pm 

Emarx,

You may not be aware that Rox gets permission before posting this kind of thing to ensure that she does not violate the KO policy of this forum. Furthermore, she is one of our longest and most respected members. She has not violated any of our rules.

However, your link to 9puzzles is a violation and I have edited your post to remove it.

I can understand your concern, but you may not be aware that Rox has provided more service to this forum than many are even aware of. That service may not always be apparent or public.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 am 

this thread has somehow gotten out of topic. anyway, i just wanted to ask if you guys prefer a masterporphix with 4 colored-stickers or the single-color one. does the meffert's one (4-color) make it easier because of the color? i mean, does it give you a clue which side goes to which side coz of the color?

and does the C4U (single-color) make it easier or harder because it has only one color?

regards

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:50 am 

In my opinion the color scheme makes no real difference. If you know how to solve a super 3x3x3, you shouldn't have problems with either of those two. The only tricky part for me is how to tell when the last layer edges are oriented correctly before completing the corners.

If you get a 4-coloured one, you can still solve it by shape only (i.e. simulate the 1-coloured), solve it like a super 3x3x3 (as mentioned above) or mix it up using only half-turns (preserving the shape) and then solving it like that (it's a lot of fun, search for the half-turn cube for more info).

It's a great puzzle and hopefully the one I ordered from Mefferts last week is already in the mail :D

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 am 

Alex wrote:
The only tricky part for me is how to tell when the last layer edges are oriented correctly before completing the corners.

does this mean that if you're using a colored one, it's easier to to tell if it is oriented correctly coz the color gives it away?
if that's the case, does the one-color make it harder to solve? sorry but i still don't know how to solve a super 3x3x3 yet that's why i'm asking. :)

regards

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 am 

No, edges of a mastermorphix only have one colour each, so the only way you can tell if the edge is upside down is if it's not aligned with the rest of the puzzle. Different colours would only tell you where to position the edges, not how to orient them.

When you begin solving the last layer of a 3x3x3 you would normally have 0, 2 or 4 edges oriented properly and you could tell how many you have since you know what the top colour is. (You would then fix any that are not oriented properly, position the corners, orient the corners and finally position the edges. Every piece would have its proper place and orientation.)

On a mastermorphix, you don't know if any of the edges are upside-down, so that makes it a bit more difficult. The number of colours doesn't really matter as far as edges go. I suppose you could say the 1-coloured one is a bit easier since you don't have to hunt for the colours (just the types of pieces matter) and you don't have to know how to turn the centres 180 in the end.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 pm 

thanks so much!

regards

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:57 pm 

I think katsmom is doing a good thing for this forum by posting these comparisons, but like EMarx, I see the hypocrisy behind it. I'm not saying that it is her motive, but it would be easy to buy these knockoffs on the premise of "helping the forums". Personally, I don't really care what her own agenda is. She has helped us avoid knockoffs and stay with official puzzles.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 am 

She's LOSING money on the knock offs, guys. She owns an original of any knock off she buys. That means she doesn't need it. She's getting them to SHOW US they are KOs and help us only get the originals.

It's not that she's saving money by only buying the knock offs, and ignoring the originals.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:33 am 

ok ok, let me categorise what is acceptable and what is not. My opinion reflects
the opinion of AT LEAST three manufacturers I know (who had been copied):

If you are a collector AND you buy the original, you are entitled to get a fake
AS LONG AS you do not distribute it, trade it, or advertise it.
Private means to keep it private, and not bring it to "private events"!

The inventor has absolutely no damages from this situation, as the collector
in question purchases this item out of curiosity or other (helpful) reasons.
The fake-manufacturers do not have any gain from this, simply because there
is only a handful of such collectors. It is those who "want to save money" who do
most of the damage.

I repeat, ONLY IF YOU FIRST BUY THE ORIGINAL, and you want a fake copy for collection,
then it is ok.

In the speedsolving case, things can become easier, as it would be simple for a judge
to identify a fake puzzle (e.g. 7x7x7) which will disqualify the competitor.

Pantazis

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 am 

I will answer these two posts only. You can argue all you want about my puzzle collecting and posts on the forum. I didn't appreciate the personal attack by EMarx, but in hindsight, I can understand where it came from. I am not justifying what I've done, or why I post, but maybe you will think twice before attacking another person! That was really uncalled for, and does violate forum rules.

Garrett wrote:
I think katsmom is doing a good thing for this forum by posting these comparisons, but like EMarx, I see the hypocrisy behind it. I'm not saying that it is her motive, but it would be easy to buy these knockoffs on the premise of "helping the forums". Personally, I don't really care what her own agenda is. She has helped us avoid knockoffs and stay with official puzzles.

I have posted twice that I did something for the forum. Once when I took pictures of a KO Alexander's Star, and once when I took apart my Uriblock. At no other time did I say I was posting or buying KO puzzles "for you". The Alexander's Star was purchased (as I said in the post) knowing it was a fake. Yes, This is the 4th star I own. Not the first. Did I save money by buying the KO. No, as far as I can see it is a waste of my money. Did I do it to help the forum? Yes. At the time I purchased this, there were no less than 3 "Original Alexander's Star without the label" on ebay. People here were also talking of purchasing and looking for Alexander's Stars. I also posted that thread because of the way I was sold the puzzle. As far as I was concerned, I was lied to so the seller could make a profit. Maybe the seller didn't know it was a KO, maybe he did. I wanted to post the sellers name, but at the time, Wayne convinced me not to. (That and my concious wouldn't really let me do it as it does violate forum policy)

The second time I posted that something was "for you" was when I took apart and cleaned my Uriblock. That posting was for information, and the "you are so lucky" should have been taken in jest as it was typed that way. I would have cleaned the puzzle anyway. :lol:

theVDude wrote:
She's LOSING money on the knock offs, guys. She owns an original of any knock off she buys. That means she doesn't need it. She's getting them to SHOW US they are KOs and help us only get the originals.

It's not that she's saving money by only buying the knock offs, and ignoring the originals.

I do own one KO that I don't have an original of. The Rubik's 360. (which I will add, was given to me, not purchased) But you can also be sure that when the original comes out I will purchase that. The rest, as theVDude has stated are copies of originals that I had purchased long ago. I have a KO skewb that I have not photographed and posted on. There are many other KO cubes/puzzles that I have not bought that are readily available here. Why? I'm simply not interested. I have also purchased a number of KO puzzles and sent them to the designers/manufacturers. Why? Because I was asked to do it. Did I get anything in return? A thank you. This is something many of you don't see and are unaware of. Everytime I go into China it costs me $20 for the train to cross the border, my visa just cost me another $150 today, I have to pay for those copies, and there are no receipts. In the mean time, I have to eat while I'm there and I can't even begin to tell you what that does to my body. (Yes, I go shopping for books, and yes I get a massage, but the last trip over-was just a 3 hour puzzle hunt.)

I realize that if you look at my puzzle page, which is still a mess, there are many copies on it. I'll use the Rubik's black 8 panel and 12 panel magics as an example. When I purchased these, I did not know they were copies. I bought them off ebay. The 4 panel magic's that I bought here with Pantazis puzzle design on it caused me a slight headache with him. While he didn't accuse me of copying them, he was very strong in his language to let me know it was not an original. Fair enough. The point is, many of my copies were purchased through the same ignorance you might have if I didn't post some of these comparisons. Take that how you will. It is definitely not bragging that I can get copy puzzles for less! It is not selling them, and it is not telling you where to get them.

This original post was a favor to someone who will not be named. I am just very sorry that doing this favor has caused me such grief. I realize that some may not like the posts, but as long as I am asked to continue by people I know, and like, and quite honestly friends with I will continue to do so. As I said before, if you don't like it, don't read the posts.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm 

katsmom wrote:
...This original post was a favor to someone who will not be named. I am just very sorry that doing this favor has caused me such grief...

I liked the first post! I actually put that as my desktop background to drool over while waiting for the single mefferts one that I ordered.
Thank you for posting these, and please continue to post this sort of thing. I love seeing groups of one single type of puzzle (like the group of skewbs) and appreciate your insights and mechanism pictures :D.

Last edited by Steveo on Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:30 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
ok ok, let me categorise what is acceptable and what is not. My opinion reflects
the opinion of AT LEAST three manufacturers I know (who had been copied):

If you are a collector AND you buy the original, you are entitled to get a fake
AS LONG AS you do not distribute it, trade it, or advertise it.
Private means to keep it private, and not bring it to "private events"!

The inventor has absolutely no damages from this situation, as the collector
in question purchases this item out of curiosity or other (helpful) reasons.
The fake-manufacturers do not have any gain from this, simply because there
is only a handful of such collectors. It is those who "want to save money" who do
most of the damage.

I repeat, ONLY IF YOU FIRST BUY THE ORIGINAL, and you want a fake copy for collection,
then it is ok.

In the speedsolving case, things can become easier, as it would be simple for a judge
to identify a fake puzzle (e.g. 7x7x7) which will disqualify the competitor.

Pantazis

Now I no longer feel guilty for buying a KO void cube. I never get just the knock off.

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 am 

I'm sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I wasn't trying to criticize your actions or call you out for buying knockoffs. I just was trying to say that I can see EMarx's reasons for skepticism, even if I don't agree.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:10 am 

I from Hong Kong :D , I and so on have the dissect to China's new product! I knew that is the originals and the copies, the copies when the originals has not announced that had already promoted, I feel the helpless really! I thought that Meffert's has the need to face up to!

Quote:
yup..

but i know that is not company

it is a factory.The factory output some mastermorphix that is not original edition,

these just for sale in china!

Some factory will set up a brand for selling puzzles

And ,on the packing,there have write the brand's name,

and this brand is call "" (NOT A REAL NAME)

""(NOT A REAL NAME) also have output KO Void Cube!

Last edited by sausage on Wed May 06, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Further edited to remove KO source.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:06 pm 

You can't post the name of a company making and selling knock offs.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:09 pm 

theVDude wrote:
You can't post the name of a company making and selling knock offs.

but i am not go to making and selling :shock:

Last edited by sausage on Wed May 06, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image violated KO policy. Removed.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 pm 

It's okay, it's just against the Knock Off policy to post that. Thanks for being quick to edit it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:16 pm 

theVDude wrote:
It's okay, it's just against the Knock Off policy to post that. Thanks for being quick to edit it.

YUP.

I Have add a new pic to make us know easy!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:29 pm 

Thanks for the great collection pics as always Rox!
I feel really stupid after reading this thread; I'll be honest I haven't followed all of the knock off discussions. I just realized, though, that KO void cubes, mastermorphixes, etc are "Knock Off". I had always assumed that KO was a company making the knock offs....
:oops:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm 

cubefan8 wrote:
I feel really stupid after reading this thread; I'll be honest I haven't followed all of the knock off discussions. I just realized, though, that KO void cubes, mastermorphixes, etc are "Knock Off". I had always assumed that KO was a company making the knock offs....

it only the Void Cube is KO

and the mastermorphix is the original producer of the mm

Last edited by cts2906 on Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 pm 

cubefan8 wrote:

you are welcome, but you should have realized that I have never named a KO company :lol: Although, KO would be a great name for a knock off company. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:31 pm 

I just received my black one. It is really awesome. Not too hard to solve, but still great. And it´s really small! I ordered mine within hours of it being released, so I probably was one of the first to order.
I especially like the superflip on this one :mrgreen: