Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Sticker Mod Collection
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:58 pm 

With 3D printing and such sticker mods seem to be a lost art these days but I still feel that they are a great way to quickly and cheaply get some unique puzzles into your collection. With the exception of 3 puzzles, I used Cubesmith stickers for all of these sticker mods and hand cut them with a straight edge and X-Acto knife when necessary. Also, with the exception of a couple of cubes noted below, I used genuine Rubik’s brand cubes for the 2x2x2s, 3x3x3s, 4x4x4s, 5x5x5s, Towers (2x2x4) and Mirror Blocks. The Floppy Cubes (1x3x3), Slim Towers (2x2x3), and Void Cubes are from Gentosha. The Megaminxes are from Meffert’s. And the 3x3x4s and Gigaminxes are from cube4you. I always loved the old blue opposite white color scheme of my 1980 Rubik’s Cube as well as my Deluxe Cubes so I based my sticker mods off of that when applicable. I also based the 12 sided sticker mods on the color scheme Meffert’s had used for their Tiled Megamins, Pyaraminx Chrystal, and 12 Color Impossiball.

When I first got back into twisty puzzles and discovered this site I was intrigued by some of the sticker mods pictured in the sites’s database. Around that time cube4you was rather new and was offering some DIY cubes including a few with some simple sticker mods already applied to them. I ordered 2 DIY Type B 4 Color Cubes (referred to as Type I and II at that time on cube4you.com). The stickers are not very good (they are vinyl but so thin that yellow is semi-translucent) and I’ve never been very impressed with the DIY Type B cubes so someday I’ll reproduce these on normal Rubik’s Cubes with Cubesmith stickers (I also envision a 3rd way to do this sticker mod). Around that same time Adam Zamora offered to sell pre-cut stickers for his 9 Color Striped Cube. This was the first time I had to put together more than 1 sticker to place on a cubie face. Once I figured out how to do so I never looked back and started cutting and applying my own sticker mods.
Attachment:
File comment: 9 Color and 4 Color Cubes
01 9 color 4 color.jpg
01 9 color 4 color.jpg [ 120.05 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

Cubesmith sells printed stickers for the Calendar Cube, Color Blind Cube, and Maze Cube. I also came up with my own pattern for a Floppy Maze Cube (1x3x3).
Attachment:
File comment: Calendar, Color Blind, and Maze Cubes
02 calendar blind maze.jpg
02 calendar blind maze.jpg [ 139.64 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

Another popular printed sticker set sold by Cubesmith is the Shepherd’s Cube.. I have applied this to a 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Void Cube, Floppy Cube (1x3x3), 2x3x3, Slim Tower (2x2x3), and 3x3x4.
Attachment:
File comment: Shepherd's Cubes
03 shepherd.jpg
03 shepherd.jpg [ 164.42 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

One of my favorite of the classic sticker mods is the Tartan Cube which I have applied to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Void Cube, 2x3x3, Slim Tower (2x2x3), 3x3x4, and Tower (2x2x4).
Attachment:
File comment: Tartan Cubes
04 tartan.jpg
04 tartan.jpg [ 172.22 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

Adam Zamora created a variation of the Tartan Cube called the Triangle Tartan Cube. I have applied this to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Void Cube, 2x3x3, Slim Tower (2x2x3), 3x3x4, and Tower (2x2x4).
Attachment:
File comment: Triangle Tartan Cubes
05 triangle tartan.jpg
05 triangle tartan.jpg [ 156.3 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

I applied the Ultimate Cube pattern to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Megaminx, Gigaminx, Latch Cube, Helicopter Cube, and a Face Turning Octahedron.
Attachment:
File comment: Ultimate Cubes
06 ultimate b.jpg
06 ultimate b.jpg [ 124.13 KiB | Viewed 5363 times ]

I created a variation of the Ultimate Cube which I call the Offset Ultimate Cube. What I did was take the pattern of each face on an Ultimate Cube and rotate it 1/2 turn counterclockwise so that the color separation goes through the edge pieces instead of the corners. I applied this to a 3x3x3, 5x5x5, Megaminx, and Gigaminx.
Attachment:
File comment: Offset Ultimate Cubes
07 offset ultimate.jpg
07 offset ultimate.jpg [ 146.44 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

I applied Stefan Pochmann’s Super Cube pattern to a 2x3x3, 3x3x3, 3x3x4, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Megaminx, Gigaminx, Latch Cube, and Helicopter Cube. I know that I didn’t have to apply the pattern to the outer edges of the puzzles but I did so because I like the look of them this way.
Attachment:
File comment: Super Cubes
08 super b.jpg
08 super b.jpg [ 171.97 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

I made a couple of attempts to design the most difficult sticker mods created. My first is a 16 Color 4x4x4 Sudoku Cube. My second extra difficult design is the Tetravex Cube which I applied to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, and Floppy Cube (1x3x3).
Attachment:
File comment: Sudoku and Tetravex Cubes
09 sudoku tetravex.jpg
09 sudoku tetravex.jpg [ 153.84 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

This next batch consists of Twelve Color Cubes where each edge is a different color. This was applied to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. I also created what I refer to as Inverted Twelve Color Cubes where each face of the Twelve Color Cube is inverted in each direction (essentially rotated 180 degrees). I also applied this to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5.
Attachment:
File comment: Twelve Color Cubes
10 twelve.jpg
10 twelve.jpg [ 151.17 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

To be continued...

Last edited by Volitar Prime on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My Sticker Mod Collection
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:59 pm 

Continued due to a silly 10 file posting limit...

I applied the Rubenking Cube pattern to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. I also applied the somewhat similar Bi-Polar Cube pattern to a 3x3x3 and 5x5x5.
Attachment:
File comment: Rubenking and Bi-Polar Cubes
11 rubenking and bipolar.jpg
11 rubenking and bipolar.jpg [ 139.86 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]

I created a very colorful sticker mod series called Color Chaos for a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. I also used a Mirror Blocks to create a Two Solution Cube.
Attachment:
File comment: Color Chaos and 2 Solution Cubes
12 color chaos two solution.jpg
12 color chaos two solution.jpg [ 127.99 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]

I applied the Eight Colored Cube pattern to a 3x3x3 and 5x5x5. I had seen a Diamond Cube on eBay and reproduced the pattern on a 2x2x2 and 4x4x4.
Attachment:
File comment: 8 Color and Diamond Cubes
13 8 color diamond.jpg
13 8 color diamond.jpg [ 137.78 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]

I made a 6 striped pattern which uses all 6 colors on each face of the cube. The 6 colors are applied in the same order on each face, but offset by 1 so that each face is unique. Also the stripes on each face are applied perpendicular to the surrounding faces. This pattern fit well on a 2x2x2 and 3x3x3. I also made a 6 color striped pattern where the stripes wrap around the puzzle by being on a 45 degree angle on 2 of the faces (front and back) and straight along the others. This fit well on a 3x3x3. I also had a bunch of red, white, and blue stickers laying around so I made a somewhat interesting 3x3x3 pattern with them.
Attachment:
File comment: Striped Cubes
14 stripes.jpg
14 stripes.jpg [ 125.53 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]

Finally I have some factory made cubes with patterns / pictures on them. The M&Ms Cube was a gift from a friend (it’s not Rubik’s brand), the Hellraiser Cube came from eBay and is also not Rubik’s brand, but the rest of them are. The 2 Tequila Sunrise Cubes were promotional cubes given out one night at my favorite disco.
Attachment:
File comment: Factory Made Promotional and Picture Cubes
15 factory.jpg
15 factory.jpg [ 145.98 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]

So where do I go from here? Well first off I’m going to follow up this post with another containing re-stickered puzzles which I don’t consider to be sticker mods but are still part of my collection. As far as sticker mods go I can always go bigger with many of these patterns and there are some common puzzles which I haven’t even attempted to apply sticker mods to. Also, I already have some new ideas which I may work on soon. I will keep this post updated as my collection grows.

Last edited by Volitar Prime on Tue May 11, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:00 pm 

The previous posts contain my sticker mod collection. This post is about my puzzles which I have re-stickered in interesting (or not so interesting) ways. I don’t consider these to be sticker mods but they are part of my collection so I wanted to show them here.

Like before, with the exception of a few cubes noted below I used genuine Rubik’s brand, Eastsheen, or V-Cubes brand cubes for the 2x2x2s, 3x3x3s, 4x4x4s, 5x5x5s, 6x6x6s, 7x7x7s, Towers (2x2x4) and Mirror Blocks. The Floppy Cubes (1x3x3), Slim Towers (2x2x3), and Void Cubes are from Gentosha. The Megaminxes and Skewb Ultimate are from Meffert’s. The 3x3x4, 3x3x5, 3x3x7 and Gigaminx are from Cube4You. The Teraminx is from MF8. The Square-1 is an original one. I used the old blue opposite white color scheme when applicable for cubes and Meffert’s 12 color scheme for dodecahedrons. For the octahedrons I used the 8 color scheme of my vintage era Magic Octahedron. Also, with the exception of 1 puzzle noted below all of these stickers came from Cubesmith.

First off I have a Flowerminx, Megaminx, Holey Megaminx, Gigaminx, Teraminx, and Skewb Ultimate re-stickered with the 12 color scheme Meffert’s used for the Tiled Megaminx, Pyraminx Crystal, and 12 Color Impossiball.
Attachment:
File comment: Dodecahedrons
16 dodecahedrons a.jpg
16 dodecahedrons a.jpg [ 130.8 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

I applied Cubesmith’s Chrome sticker sets to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. Hidetoshi Takeji discovered some Shade Shifting sticker material which Cubesmith sold for a limited time. I applied this to a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5.
Attachment:
File comment: Chrome and Shade Shifting Cubes
17 chrome shade shifting.jpg
17 chrome shade shifting.jpg [ 114.54 KiB | Viewed 6528 times ]

I re-stickered a set of white V-Cubes (5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7) as well as a set of black V-Cubes (5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7) using the classic color scheme. For the white cubes I substituted black stickers in the place of white.
Attachment:
File comment: V-Cubes
18 v-cubes.jpg
18 v-cubes.jpg [ 172.27 KiB | Viewed 6528 times ]

I re-stickered a set of Eastsheen cubes (2x2x2, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, mini 2x2x2, 2x2x2x2, 2x2x2x3, and 2x2x2x4) with the classic color scheme. I never did like the odd colors used by Eastsheen.
Attachment:
File comment: Eastsheen Cubes
19 eastsheen.jpg
19 eastsheen.jpg [ 140.75 KiB | Viewed 6528 times ]

I love Cubesmith’s Textured Tiles and have applied them to a Rubik’s 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5, Eastsheen 2x2x2, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5, V-Cubes 5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7, and a Helicopter Cube. For the Rubik’s 2x2x2 I started with tiles for the Eastsheen 2x2x2 and cut them down to size with my X-Acto knife.
Attachment:
File comment: Texture Tiled Cubes
20 textured a.jpg
20 textured a.jpg [ 117.71 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

I re-stickered a Face Turning Octahedron along with one of the new vertex turning Magic Octahedrons to match my vintage age Magic Octahedron. Also, when the Rubik’s Mirror Blocks first came out they were only in silver/chrome color. At the time Cubesmith still had some of their gold mylar sticker material. I applied this to a Mirror Blocks. A short time later a limited edition Gold Rubik’s Mirror Blocks came out. I purchased one of those which are much lighter/yellower than this. It actually makes this puzzle appear more like a bronze color. I keep all these of these Mirror Blocks (bronze, silver, and gold) next to my bronze, silver, and gold metalized Golden Cubes.
Attachment:
File comment: Octahedrons and Bronze Mirror Blocks
21 octahedrons mirror blocks.jpg
21 octahedrons mirror blocks.jpg [ 128.13 KiB | Viewed 6528 times ]

Finally, I re-stickered a handful of other puzzles for various reasons, typically because the included stickers were low quality or I just didn’t like the non-standard colors. I applied the colored stickers to the Mirror Blocks because I had them laying around. I have to say that I am disappointed with smaller size of the stickers for the 3x3x5 and have had some emails with Cubesmith about them but was told that this smaller size is what Cube4You requested. If they ever make correct sized ones (like the ones for the 3x3x7) then I will redo this puzzle. The Latch Cube in the center is the standard latch configuration and the one to the lower left is an alternate latch configuration.
Attachment:
File comment: Miscellaneous 1
22 misc 1.jpg
22 misc 1.jpg [ 126.29 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

The transparent Type B DIY 3x3x3 was stickered with transparent stickers provided by Hidetoshi Takeji. The white 3x3x3 is a Type A DIY, the black 3x3x3 to the left is a Cube4You DIY (great speed cube), and the black 3x3x3 to the right of it is by DaYan (even better speed cube).
Attachment:
File comment: Miscellaneous 2
23 misc 2.jpg
23 misc 2.jpg [ 136.35 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

Last edited by Volitar Prime on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:06 pm 

Wow, great collection! Really enjoyed the Tetravex and 6 Stripped patterns.
And I agree with you, you can have pretty nice puzzles for a low cost with these sticker mods.

Good Work :wink:

My Puzzle Collection

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm 

Indeed, this is quite the collection... and reminds me to buy a FTO and void cube.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 pm 

elijah wrote:
Indeed, this is quite the collection... and reminds me to buy a FTO and void cube.

Those two are on my list!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 pm 

Great collection! The twelve-color edge-based cubes are my favorites. I want to make the bigger ones at some point, using Eastsheens.

How about some FTO/VTO sticker mods in the future? Nobody's done any yet. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 am 

Beautiful sticker mods! I actually love the old Rubik's Cubes from 1980, and that's the color scheme I use on all of my cubes! Whenever one of my friends sees my cube and solves it, they always get messed up and say "What's up with the colors?!" :lol:

P.S.- An interesting sticker variation is red next to orange. In 1980, when the cubes were in high demand, quality control wasn't always perfect at the Ideal Toys factory, and some cubes cam out with a rare color scheme with red next to orange!

Attachments:
File comment: Here's the front of my cube.
Photo 37.jpg
Photo 37.jpg [ 77.96 KiB | Viewed 6309 times ]
File comment: And the red next to orange.
Photo 36.jpg
Photo 36.jpg [ 79.67 KiB | Viewed 6309 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 pm 

Wow! That is some sticker collection! So many people moan about how people collect sticker variations, but I think they're quite cool. Adds a bit of a challenge and an interesting look to the collection.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm 

Just a small update:

I added a Super 2x3x3 to the first post (sticker mods part 1). I also added the new DaYan 3x3x3, a Square-1, a Skewb Cube, 3x3x5, and 3x3x7 to the third post (interesting and not so interesting re-stickered).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:44 pm 

Congratulations!
Nice collection!

The next step is the picture cube variants, like tone cube (with the panton scale):

Image Image Image Image

Or the well known earth cube:
Image Image Image Image

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:01 pm 

It has been a while since I've updated this, so here goes.

I added my Super and Ultimate Helicopter and Latch Cubes to the first sticker mods post.

I also added a Flowerminx, texture tiled Helicopter Cube, Gear Cube, 2 Latch Cubes (1 with the standard latch arrangement, 1 with an alternate arrangement), and another Helicopter Cube to the interesting (or not so interesting) re-stickered post.

A question for all: Should I be adding these sticker mods to the puzzle museum database?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:47 pm 

Amazing job with all of the sticker mods! You, sir, have inspired me to look more into re-stickering some of my puzzles in different fashions. In my opinion, I would add these to the museum, they are fantastic!

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
A question for all: Should I be adding these sticker mods to the puzzle museum database?
Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:09 pm 

Awesome collection. I wish I had some of those... But sadly I can't afford more than I already have at the moment, which are a pathetic collection of two - 3x3x3 and Square-1... D=

3x3x3: 00:40
Square-1: 01:56.70

My Collection
DIY TypeC (1)
DaYan ZhanChi (1)
GhostHand 2 (1)
MF8 Square-1 (1)
V-Cube 5 (1)
V-Cube 6 (1)
V-Cube 7 (1)

My Wishlist / Plan-To-Buy list:
A 4x4x4 cube (Not sure which kind, PM suggestions?)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 pm 

The dodecahedron picture melted me. Made to want to resticker my own puzzles. Insanely beautiful <3

All very nice puzzles!

Prime :) :solved:

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:14 pm 

Jared wrote:
How about some FTO/VTO sticker mods in the future? Nobody's done any yet. :)
How about this one?
Attachment:
File comment: Ultimate Face Turning Octahedron
ultimate fto.jpg
ultimate fto.jpg [ 86.31 KiB | Viewed 5363 times ]

I added it above with the Ultimate cubes and minxes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm 

Awesome! Have you tried scrambling/solving it yet?

Did you cut these stickers yourself or did you just modify some preexisting ones?

Hope you'll do a Super and/or 12-color one. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 am 

Wow. That looks great! More FTO sticker mods need to be made. Well done Volitar!!! :)

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:15 am 

I haven't scrambled it yet but I will soon. I started with Cubesmith stickers and cut them using an X-Acto knife and straight edge. I did want to do the Super Cube pattern but couldn't really come up with a way to make it work that I was happy with. I'll have to get some more of these as well as some more of the vertex turning ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:47 pm 

Holy.... Great collection!
You're the sticker man.... :-)

I have never been a great fan of sticker variations.
But this.... You even inspired me to get the "basic" ones, like the Maze, Calendar, etc... :-)

Paulo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:13 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
I did want to do the Super Cube pattern but couldn't really come up with a way to make it work that I was happy with.

May I suggest to just have a (thick) cut like on the Pochmann cubes, all the way around the edge of each face? That way the inner triangles would have the "super" parts visible on their corners.