Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which megaminx should I get?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 am 

I had an mf8 v1 megaminx a while back but don't have that anymore so I'm looking to get a new one. The shengshou is cheaper but slower, while the dayan is faster but not as smooth; this is what I've heard from reviews and asking a friend. If I were to get the dayan, I'm not sure whether to get the one with or without corner ridges, does anybody have both and can give me their opinion? After receiving my Fangshi Shuang Ren, I hoped Funs Puzzle would head down a similar path to Dayan, I'm sure a megaminx with a Shuang Ren style mechanism would be amazing!! So, what do you think out of the shengshou or the dayan?

Post subject: Re: Which megaminx should I get?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 am 

I've got both and I prefer the dayan I personally like the turning on it when it is tension is set right

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:20 pm 

mf8 V3 or if somehow you get your hands on an original Supernova. I haven't tried one myself but I would assume it could turn great after some lube or modding. But NOT the Chinaminx, the clicky one with tiles that come out occasionally. I still haven't seen one in person but I did see one on ebay but VERY over-priced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 am 

Although the mf8v3 and the SS are both pretty good, they require modding to become very nice to turn, otherwise they are both quite catchy.
I would recommend the Dayan, it turns really smoothly and well with no modding whatsoever, and it's even very nice to turn without lubrication.
Also, I would say that the Dayan is much smoother than the SS. I have tried both, and no SS has even come close to my Dayan for smoothness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:31 am 

JackRTully wrote:
The shengshou is cheaper but slower, while the dayan is faster but not as smooth; this is what I've heard from reviews and asking a friend.

I don't know about that, but I have a ShengShou (modded) and it's pretty fast, very controllable and smooth. I've never tried a Dayan megaminx though, I'll have to get one in the future.
Watch this video :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKpDcQMuzY