Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cubesmith Update
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:46 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
I would suggest that they make the set with the pattern applied to all the stickers. This can easily satisfy people who want it either way. For those who only want it applied to the middle pieces and not the edges/corners, then just don't use those stickers. Use standard color stickers for instead.

So, we have to buy two sets then, if we want a supercube that can still be used in competition? That doesn't seem fair.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 am 

qqwref wrote:
Volitar Prime wrote:
I would suggest that they make the set with the pattern applied to all the stickers. This can easily satisfy people who want it either way. For those who only want it applied to the middle pieces and not the edges/corners, then just don't use those stickers. Use standard color stickers for instead.

So, we have to buy two sets then, if we want a supercube that can still be used in competition? That doesn't seem fair.

Then don't do it. Why would you want a supercube that can still be used in competitions, anyway? Just get two cubes. I mean, seriously, even a 5x5x5 (eastsheen) is only $14 or so.

And I wouldn't count on supercube-center regular-edges to be allowed into competition anyway, *regardless* of what the WCA has ruled in the past. If there ever was a true supercube event, it would probably be disallowed, or at least handicapping yourself unfairly, for that matter.

Cubesmith is a *business*. Not a public service. Such a specific set may happen if at some point it can be done with little effort and enough demand exists, but dude.. don't go demanding stuff that only you want.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:44 am 

qqwref wrote:
Volitar Prime wrote:

Would any version of the supercube be allowed in competition?
WCA Regulations wrote:
3d) The colours of puzzles must be solid, the same per colour, and clearly distinct from other colours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:42 pm 

JasperJ wrote:
dude.. don't go demanding stuff that only you want.

Okay, let me clear this up, since you don't seem to get it. I'm not demanding anything. I'm just saying that if cubesmith does make supercube stickers, it would be a better decision to make ones with normal edges and corners. Unlike you, I've provided actual reasons, as opposed to just saying "I like it". All I am trying to do is make a suggestion about how supercubes should be done if they are ever started again, and I don't understand why you are suddenly attacking me.

When I said "So, we have to buy two sets then, if we want a supercube that can still be used in competition? That doesn't seem fair." what I meant is "I don't like your proposal because it means that someone who wants a supercube as Pochmann originally intended it would have to pay twice as much", NOT "I demand that Cubesmith immediately satisfy this request and print the type of stickers I want". I have no clue where you got that idea. I'm not arguing against Cubesmith, I'm arguing you, and what I am trying to tell you is that it really would be a better decision to produce the original type of supercube stickers. As a speedsolver it also feels like having extra colors on the edges and corners is an unfair advantage, just like having extra colors on the edges and corners of a normally colored cube would be. Again, if all you can do is attack me and say you like your type of stickers more, it's clear that the original supercube stickering is the better one.

Besides, plenty of other people want supercubes. If nobody else did, Eastsheen wouldn't have made supercubes at all. If nobody else wanted supercubes, Cubesmith wouldn't have even considered producing them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:00 pm 

There are 2 problems with yopur righteous indignation:

1. Producing a 'full' supercube set satisfies *both* demands, while producing a centers-supercube set satisfies only those who want that. So the choice is between producing a set that satisfies all comers and one that satisfies only a fraction of the demand. I wouldn't say that's hard to choose between. Now as I said, Cubesmith mightchoose to *also* produce a centers-only set -- but *only* if there was enough *separate* demand.

2. You're the one that brought up this issue of "fair". "Fair", as I was pointing out, simply has no place in business.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:29 pm 

JasperJ wrote:
1. Producing a 'full' supercube set satisfies *both* demands, while producing a centers-supercube set satisfies only those who want that. So the choice is between producing a set that satisfies all comers and one that satisfies only a fraction of the demand. I wouldn't say that's hard to choose between. Now as I said, Cubesmith mightchoose to *also* produce a centers-only set -- but *only* if there was enough *separate* demand.

Good point.

JasperJ wrote:
2. You're the one that brought up this issue of "fair". "Fair", as I was pointing out, simply has no place in business.

Fairness has no place in business if you're just in it to make money, but I get the impression that Cubesmith also cares about its reputation. I can imagine scenarios in which fairness would be the decisive factor in a decision.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
While we try to make available most things you guys request, basically, we don't want to add things to the site to accommodate an uncommon sticker mod (...)
It only just occurred to me today ... there's no Pyraminx tiles. This is something else I'd like to see, since I don't like the 'thick tiles' that Uwe Meffert does provide. Any chance for these anytime, or am I the only person to request these ... ?
Cheers
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:45 pm 

I've been checking about 40 times a day...
Is anyone else excited about the shade shifting stickers?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:05 pm 

I showed the color shifting stickers to a friend that is not able to solve the 3x3 and he keeps asking when they are available.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 am 

I bet they will be harder to cut than the chrome colors.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:56 pm 

Shua wrote:

I don't see why it would be harder for them to cut. Its all a solid sheet of vinyl just like their chrome ones.

Does anyone have a picture of the light blue chrome stickers. I'm really wanting to know what they look like. Thanks in advance for a pic.

4x4x4 PB: 2:04.95
5x5x5 PB 4:25.80
My other ones are to slow for me to care about right now...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:38 pm 

Jamo wrote:
Shua wrote:

I don't see why it would be harder for them to cut. Its all a solid sheet of vinyl just like their chrome ones.

Does anyone have a picture of the light blue chrome stickers. I'm really wanting to know what they look like. Thanks in advance for a pic.

I ordered like 12 different colors. I don't know if I got the light blue or not. If I did I will post it in a few days when I get it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:54 pm 

Does anyone know if Cubesmith has plans to make tiles for the Megaminx?

- Billy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 am 

lonogod wrote:

- Billy

If I remember correctly, they don't make them because they don't have 12 colors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 pm 

Shua wrote:
I've been checking about 40 times a day...
Is anyone else excited about the shade shifting stickers?

Updating it now :D I've finally finished all the work on the site and I'm going to start uploading it right after I finish this post...(Actually, I'm lying - I'm going to eat dinner first, 'cause once I start the site, I'll be here all night! :lol: ). I'll start with the 3x3x3 vinyl page since I've got pictures of all the new material on there. We've also added a chrome black, chrome purple, and chrome bright pink.

takrl wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:
While we try to make available most things you guys request, basically, we don't want to add things to the site to accommodate an uncommon sticker mod (...)
It only just occurred to me today ... there's no Pyraminx tiles. This is something else I'd like to see, since I don't like the 'thick tiles' that Uwe Meffert does provide. Any chance for these anytime, or am I the only person to request these ... ?
Cheers
Michael

It's been asked and is definitely something we will add in the future, being such a simple pattern. We are absolutely swamped right now with all the new stuff we're trying to get done, but the Pyraminx tiles will likely be available soonish. (Remember, we've got plans for fluorescent tiles, too, so the two will work well together)

Shua wrote:

Not hard to cut at all :) It's pretty much the same as the other vinyl. Ya' know how the chrome materials are all chrome on the back? Well this stuff is all black on the back, but other than that difference, you'll find the feel to be just like our other vinyls.

lonogod wrote:

- Billy

Check through this thread...We talked about it somewhere. Basically, once we have 12 different tile colors available, we will look into getting a megaminx set together.

I think that's it...I'll edit this post when the site is done. Give me an hour or so to test all the buttons and links and stuff (plus another half hour or so to eat) before you guys rush the site :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 pm 

F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5
=D

Are they going to be 2.50 or higher?
Lower? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 pm 

Shua wrote:
F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5
=D

Here's the pricing:
Sets: 2x2s $5, 3x3s $5, 4x4s $6, 5x5s $6, 6x6 $7, 7x7 $7, Keychains $5
Singles: 2x2s $2, 3x3s $2, 4x4s $2.50, 5x5s $2.50, 6x6s $2.75, 7x7s $2.75, keychains $2, Square-1 singles $2.25, Mirror Bump Cube Singles $2.25 Megaminx $2.50, Pyraminx $2, and Skewb Ultimate $2
...I think :)

3x3x3 page is done! I'm workin on the rest...

Last edited by cubegrrrl on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:12 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Shua wrote:
F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5 F-5
=D

Here's the pricing:
Sets: 2x2s $5, 3x3s $5, 4x4s $6, 5x5s $6, 6x6 $7, 7x7 $7, Keychains $5
Singles: 2x2s $2, 3x3s $2, 4x4s $2.50, 5x5s $2.50, 6x6s $2.75, 7x7s $2.75, keychains $2, Square-1 singles $3, Megaminx $2.50, Pyraminx $2, and Skewb Ultimate $2
...I think :)

What is the price for the vinal sheets?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 pm 

Shua wrote:

$5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Shua wrote:

$5

Got mine!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 pm 

Shua wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:
Shua wrote:

$5

Got mine!

...But I haven't put them up yet :?: :?: :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:27 pm 

Hmm, something just occurred to me... These would be solved as super cubes right? Because if a center is turned, it would be showing a different color than the edges and corners around it. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 pm 

ejisfun wrote:
Hmm, something just occurred to me... These would be solved as super cubes right? Because if a center is turned, it would be showing a different color than the edges and corners around it. Right?

From what I see the color is judged by angle. I don't think there would be a problem with center parity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:59 pm 

Thanks cubegrrrl, placing my order soon :)

edit: I notice that the 5x5x5 set shows up as "5x5x5 Round Vinyl sticker set - Shade Shifting Set" in the shopping cart when trying to order square. I think I'll wait a bit more to allow you to get the bugs worked out... :)

Shua wrote:
From what I see the color is judged by angle. I don't think there would be a problem with center parity.
According to this the direction of the stickers do matter so yes, they would work as super-cube stickers:

http://www.cubesmith.com/ShadeshiftingFAQ.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:12 pm 

Shua wrote:
ejisfun wrote:

I don't know how it affects the solving of the cube or the center parity (I'll ask Chris about it tomorrow), but I do know that when we were applying our set to test out, we noticed that if the stickers weren't all applied the way they are oriented on the backing paper it was noticeable. So if a side is solved, but a piece is rotated differently than the others, it will show. I don't know if that clarifies anything...

I've uploaded all the pages. Please let me know in this thread if you find something that isn't working right or if you guys have any questions. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 pm 

Just put in my order. Seems to have worked perfectly. Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Please let me know in this thread if you find something that isn't working right or if you guys have any questions. Thanks!
The regular 5x5x5 shade shifting sticker set is still showing up as the round 5x5x5 set in my shopping cart when I try to add them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:48 pm 

Just ordered mine along with a bunch of other random stuff I've been needing lately. It's surprising how fast a bunch of 60 cent items can add up! :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:19 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Shua wrote:
ejisfun wrote:

I don't know how it affects the solving of the cube or the center parity (I'll ask Chris about it tomorrow), but I do know that when we were applying our set to test out, we noticed that if the stickers weren't all applied the way they are oriented on the backing paper it was noticeable. So if a side is solved, but a piece is rotated differently than the others, it will show. I don't know if that clarifies anything...

I have these on a black cube and the difference is noticeable, but not by much - the color doesn't change like if you tilt it.

As for tiles: I just want to make a few suggestions.

1) Light orange I would call "orange", orange I would call "red" or "bright red", and red, "brick red". They're really not very close to the more "standard" cube colors.

2) As for Megaminx tiles: if you take the six standard colors along with the five colors from the "light set" a while ago, and replace the darker red with brown, and add a gray color, you have a pretty-near-perfect set of colors for a Megaminx IMO. (I was looking at the two sets combined, plus black, and they are an attractive set, but with those two substitutions I would definitely want to put them on a Megaminx.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:29 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:
Please let me know in this thread if you find something that isn't working right or if you guys have any questions. Thanks!
The regular 5x5x5 shade shifting sticker set is still showing up as the round 5x5x5 set in my shopping cart when I try to add them.

Fixed this. Thanks

Jared wrote:
As for tiles: I just want to make a few suggestions.

1) Light orange I would call "orange", orange I would call "red" or "bright red", and red, "brick red". They're really not very close to the more "standard" cube colors.

2) As for Megaminx tiles: if you take the six standard colors along with the five colors from the "light set" a while ago, and replace the darker red with brown, and add a gray color, you have a pretty-near-perfect set of colors for a Megaminx IMO. (I was looking at the two sets combined, plus black, and they are an attractive set, but with those two substitutions I would definitely want to put them on a Megaminx.)

Let me address the second one first...Problem with this is that we don't have all of the light colors anymore. It was a limited run we did with some material we had left over from another job we'd done. We do have plans to add all of those colors permanently and in all sizes that we have tiles for, and when we do a megaminx tile set will be feasible. I don't know whether we'll do a brown any time soon, but there is a gray color planned along with fluorescents.

As for renaming the colors, we had originally called them all light, since they were part of the light set. Now that they've been available under these names, we probably won't change them, just for the sake of people being able to order replacements without the confusion of renaming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm 

That's a good reason, but could you at least update the full-cube picture on the site so that it looks closer to the real deal? It's very misleading IMO. >_>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 am 

Jared wrote:
That's a good reason, but could you at least update the full-cube picture on the site so that it looks closer to the real deal? It's very misleading IMO. >_>

Which one are you talking about?
Actually I should probably update all the tile pictures, since most of them are from when Chris first set up the site and his first run of tiles looks a lot different than what we do now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:55 am 

I know that this will probably sound really strange, but when are we going to see logos on the 2x2 tiles? I don't know if anyone else wants these, but I really, really want to see these soon.

/g_admin_slap player_Jhardman_hitbox-head <dmg>1_sfx_slp3 :mrgreen:

I'm also known as: 约翰

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:54 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Which one are you talking about?
Actually I should probably update all the tile pictures, since most of them are from when Chris first set up the site and his first run of tiles looks a lot different than what we do now.

I was talking about the pictures of the complete cube. But a full update would cover that too. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:56 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
I don't know whether we'll do a brown any time soon, but there is a gray color planned along with fluorescents.

Flourescent tiles? JOY!!! Been waiting for that news!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Shua wrote:
ejisfun wrote:

So Chris and I just played around with a shade shifting stickered cube and came to the conclusion that the stickers may not be affected by being rotated. Initially when we stickered a cube, the rotated sticker was noticeable, so we changed it. Now we seem to be unable to see a difference when purposely rotating the center piece...Maybe the different colors are affected differently enough in different lighting that it is sometimes noticeable? I don't know...In any case, we'll leave the note on the site about applying the stickers the way they are arranged on the backing paper. You guys can decide for yourselves whether you think it affects the shade shifting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:46 pm 

I'm not really into sticker mods, but these are great. I have to order them for the higher order puzzles now!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:16 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
I don't know whether we'll do a brown any time soon, but there is a gray color planned along with fluorescents.

Awesome to hear news about a possible Gray tile.

I think the Void Cube and Floppy cube have the most attractive 6 color scheme put on cubes to date. Having gray tiles available makes recreating that scheme possible.

I would imagine a black cube tiled, gray opposite of black(or white), yellow opposite of orange, and light blue opposite of light green... should be close to the floppy/void. And for the white cubes, gray opposite black, orange opposite yellow, and light blue opposite green.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:08 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
...But I haven't put them up yet :?: :?: :D

I meant the 3x3.
I cant afford the $30 for the sheets just yet.

& I haven't got my conformation of shipping yet, but it has only been a week. That doesn't keep me from waiting for the mailman every day =D

*edit*
Got my confirmation today. Has anyone got theirs yet?

waiting for an update...
Thats sad.
Okay I got my order today. I like the sheets of shade-shifting & it is as nice as the 3x3 stickers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 am 

Hi cubegrrrl. This topic hasn't had much activity in the past month (well any at all actually). Can I ask where you are on your to do list, like if we will have 6x6 and 7x7 tiles soon and 2x2 logos and such? :scrambled:

Last edited by Jamo on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:07 am 

Yes, I would really love to have 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 tiles!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 am 

6x6x6 and 7x7x7 tiles are definitely a high priority on our to-do list. The problem is we are way behind right now. Between our plotter breaking a while back, and giving us a lot of trouble for a few weeks before that, and our shipment of blades being over a month late, we are having trouble finding time to work on new things. This week, we are working to print more tile material, including a new color if all goes well (before you ask, it'll most likely be light orange - there was a problem with the fluorescent orange ink, and it may not be possible after all, we're still looking into it.) Once we have a stock of printed material, we can start planning for a new tile set. Remember, once we offer a new set, we need to always have them in stock, and we can't really do that when we're having trouble keeping the sets we currently offer in stock. We are also working on several new vinyl sticker sets, but all of this takes time, and nothing is done yet. Sudoku cubes will be up soon. Now that the plotter is fixed, I just need to cut the vinyl and make a page on the site for them. One thing I'm hoping one of you can help with, though, is an application diagram. I can neither solve a cube, nor a sudoku puzzle, so I'm not sure whether it needs a specific application diagram. If someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.
Other than that, things are slowly getting back to normal...Our blade shipment finally arrived today (most of it at least, with the rest to arrive next week). Apparently there was a problem with our suppliers' supplier overseas and an entire batch of orange blades was bad (which is why some of you got blue blades). The plotter's working like new again (knock on wood), and I'm just trying to plot as fast as I'm filling the orders :)
If you guys haven't seen it yet, I made a facebook page for Cubesmith. This is mostly to provide updates more easily to customers, since I know not everyone goes back to the site to see why their order hasn't shipped. If you add us as a friend, please don't use facebook to check on an order...I only have access to order info on the computer at our shop, so it's easier if you just email orders@cubesmith.com.
Thanks again to everyone for their patience. I wish everything could run smoothly all the time, but we do our best to get all orders out to you guys as quickly as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:58 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
If you guys haven't seen it yet, I made a facebook page for Cubesmith.

What name is it under?

Never mind... Found it. Cube Smith.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:20 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Sudoku cubes will be up soon. Now that the plotter is fixed, I just need to cut the vinyl and make a page on the site for them. One thing I'm hoping one of you can help with, though, is an application diagram. I can neither solve a cube, nor a sudoku puzzle, so I'm not sure whether it needs a specific application diagram. If someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Nevermind...I found an application diagram online. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:10 pm 

Just wanted to let you guys know that Sudoku sets and Skewb sets are now available on the site.
We are working to get more stuff up and I'll update here when we do.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:06 pm 

CubeGirrl, Do you think you could do the variant colors (silver, yellow, etc) for V-cube logo in addition to white and black?

I am doing a V-Cube 7 chessboard mod (I mixed the even and odd pieces from the white and black cubes) and the non-color side will be silver because it gives excellent contrast against both the white and the black plastic :scrambled:

I'd hate to have to draw the V onto a silver or yellow sticker with a sharpie - that would just look so unprofessional and probably rub off :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm 

I recall V-Cubes saying that the logo must be on the same color. Im not 100% sure though. :? I dont have time to search through this super long thread though.

Cap-hits, not Cafits

Last edited by Caphits on Thu May 07, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:15 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
CubeGirrl, Do you think you could do the variant colors (silver, yellow, etc) for V-cube logo in addition to white and black?

Caphits wrote:
I recall V-Cubes saying that the logo must be on the same color. I dont have time to search through this super long thread though.

I actually don't recall if this was part of our agreement...Let me check with Chris and see what we can do.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 pm 

That would be sweet if you could put use different colors for the v-cube logos. How far are you on the v-cube tiles as of now? I still can't wait until you guys make them. always will be a life long fan
- Jamo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:29 pm 

Chris says that we can do V-Cube logos on other colors. Only problem is that we just printed a run of V-Cube logos, so it'll be a while. As soon as we need to print them again, we will offer other colors (most likely the same colors Cubesmith logos are offered on).

As for V-Cube tiles...We are still in the process of looking into it. It's high priority for us because we know it's high priority for you guys, but we have so many other things going on here right now that we just haven't had the time to devote to them. We got a quote on the die, and it was quite expensive (like 3 times the price of our other dies), so we are still trying to find another company that can do it cheaper. Before we can get the die and start offering 2 new sets of tiles, we really need to make sure everything else is in order (i.e. - if we're behind on making the tile sets we offer, it doesn't make sense to start offering new tile sets). We've made a lot of progress in the last few weeks with getting our printing and plotting streamlined, but we're still trying to sort out problems with our suppliers. As we've said, we will post an update for you guys when we have one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next