Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Active Forums? Cube-Lovers?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:01 am 

Does anyone here know what happened to "cube-lovers", a mailing list active from 1980 through (apparently) Jan 2000? (latest date of archived messages at the FTP site) I tried subscribing twice but apparently no-one is monitoring the administrative list.

Also, is anyone aware of other forums for discussing twisty toys besides here and rec.puzzles?

In other news...

Over the holidays I went from a meager collection (a 3x3x3 cube, pyraminx, missing link, 3x3x3 sphere - which I've had since the 1980's, and a pre-holiday acquisition of a 2x2x2 cube & Square-1) to a Rubik's Magic (from my inlaws), a Skewb (at a Wizards of the Coast store), 4x4x4 cube (from rubik.com), a 5x5x5 cube, Ultimate Skewb and Impossibal (from Meffert's).

A trip to Walgreens drugstore gave me a source of $4 cubes (with a "free" mini cube). I put together a 3x3x5 "extended" which looks really nice (although I used corners/edges from 2 more cubes, so they have little holes) and a mini-siamese. Another trip to WotC and I have a spare Skewb; I mocked up part of a Mental Block with sheet styrene but didn't complete it; I might try one of the "truncated" variations like a crystal or nova. Multicolored vinyl electrical tape and some plastic weld gave me a nice bicube.

Coming in the mail: an Alexander's Star and a (12-color) Megaminx from auctions. Woo-hoo!

I also went patent-hunting and came across a cute magnet scheme (US04513970) that uses 48 magnets to produce a 2x2x2 mechanism. I tried building such using a wooden egg but the pieces became too small to drill reliably (they shattered). To make it easier I picked up a styrofoam apple and it works acceptably, although the manual labour in cutting 48 small magnet holes is somewhat intimidating. I modelled the puzzle mechanism in a CAD program; if I find someone with a cheap stereolithography service I might have them fab it.

My next efforts are to build up some masters for casting custom mechanical pieces. I've started with the corners/edges from an "octagon" cube - I have those made from a cube and styrene but it isn't very strong. Next, the edges/faces from a star - which all together gives you a Fisher/offcenter (bandaged Fisher) cube. After that would be the pieces for the cuboctahedron. I'd also like to produce a Domino (3x3x2) since I'm unlikely to purchase one.

Post subject: Domino
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:01 am 

For your last point, keep an eye on the new site for this... maybe... :)