Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small Problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:45 am 

I just got a Rubik's mini and ended up breaking it within 10 minutes. From what I can tell it may not be impossible to reassemble, but would definitely be difficult. Any suggestions?

Post subject: 3x3?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:08 am 

If you mean 3x3, its easy to repair. Unless the spindle came apart. What piece broke?
10 minutes.. faster than i ever broke anything. Record: 5x5x5 6 hours- i glued the center screws to the plastic, turned the wrong way, stripped the lining out completely.

Post subject: No, the 2x2x2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:50 am 

don't have a mini rubik's cube yet. My 2x2x2 broke. (If you don't know what the mechanism looks like, check the virtual puzzle site where it shows the puzzle interiors, the 2x2x2 mechanism is identical to the 2nd Pyramorphix)

Post subject: reassembly of 2x2x2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:42 am 

I'm sure this has been discussed before here, but I can't find it right now. Anyway, here is a very short description:

The parts are:
1 central spindle, of which 3 axes rotate, 3 do not.
9 normal tabs
3 extended tabs, one slightly shorter than the other two.
8 corner pieces.

Put the extended tabs on one corner piece. Inside the corner piece is a little rod at one edge for more sturdiness, which is why one of the extended tabs is a bit shorter than the others. Put this corner between the three fixed axes of the spindle.

Add the other corners, placing tabs between any pair of adjacent corners. At the end you will have placed all the tabs and all but one corner (probably best to end with the corner diagonally opposite the first one). This last corner can slide only partly into place as it can only go over two of the three tabs. To put it into place you need to twist one face, forcing the corner in place. For some reason this always seems to need much more force than was used when it fell apart.

Jaap

Post subject: Good news and bad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:50 am 

Good news: I got the cube back together.

Bad news: because 2 pieces aren't where they should be, the puzzle only turns on one axis. HELP!!!

I'm attempting to take it apart again.

Post subject: Thanks Jaap
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:42 am 

I thought I would try this. Wow, I didn't realize how many pieces were inside this little cube. A puzzle inside a puzzle. Thanks for the info. I got it back together.

Post subject: Thanx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:54 am 

I finally got it, even after at least 2 of the overhanging pieces on the cubies broke off, and I had to superglue them...