Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie to this forum but not to the Cube
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:01 am 

I guess I should begin by telling you my story but first I have to ask this: does anyone know where I could get a replacement orange tile for my Rubik's Cube Deluxe? I asked Mark Longridge but he did not have one, so I figured someone here might be able to help me.

You can see my Cubes here: http://home.infi.net/~mamsam/Rubik.html

Now, my brief story. My father (now deceased) worked for Ideal Toy Corporation at their manufacturing facility in Newark, New Jersey, way back when Rubik's Cube was popular. He was an Industrial Engineer by trade and at that time he was the Chief of the Industrial Engineering Department. The Deluxe & Revenge you see at my web page, were brought home by him many months before Ideal actually marketed those models. I also have a Rubik's Calendar but I have to take better pictures of it, then I will put them up on the page. These are the only "surviving" models I have. I also had pre-production Standard and Pocked Cubes but I . . . umm . . . lost them, (very big sigh). I'm sorry, but I don't recall the color scheme of that early Standard Cube. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that the Cubes made in Newark, were blue opposite white, yellow opposite green and red opposite orange. I'm not sure how dogmatic they were about that but I did notice a slight difference between my Deluxe and Revenge. The "opposite" colors are the same but when I hold my Deluxe with white in front and red on top, yellow is on the left and green on the right, but my Revenge with white in front and red on top, green is on the left and yellow is on the right. The left/right color difference may be more common then the opposite color difference. One further note, the first run of the Pocket Cubes were of very poor quality. They were too weak and broke easily so they had to strengthen them before mass production. I don't know what they did to them, my father may have told me, but if he did, I have long since forgotten but the second Pocket Cube he brought home was much better. I also had other models of the Rubik's Link, Rubik's Link Deluxe, Rubik's World and others but I don't recall what happened to them either, (another big sigh).

Until very recently, I had no idea that the Cube still had a big following and seeing the prices on ebay that some of those Cubes are going for has been something of a shock to me. I wish I had known about all of this when my father was alive. I think it would have warmed his heart to know that interest in the Cube is alive and well after all these years and I believe he was proud to be part of the whole Rubik's Cube phenomenon.

Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:01 am 

Its great to have another forum member! Your story was very interesting.

Post subject: Great Story
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:37 am 

Thanks for sharing that great story. We often hear all about the people who invent things, but not much about the engineers who turn the inventions into marketable products. (The unsung heros!) I wish your dad could see some of the collections.

Post subject: Hi Mark
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:18 pm 

You're more than welcome here. Thanks for the intro sotry and the pics. As for an orange tile, the only quick option is to try and use an orange tile from an existing cheap 3x3x3 cube, however, it will be unlikely that the two colours will match too well.

Judging by the photo, the tiles recessed into the cube whereas cheap tiles simply stick to the surface like a sticker. Still, it might cover enough surface area to cover the hole.

Anyway, hope to see you around often.