Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Simplest speed cubeing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:36 am 
What is the simplest speed cubeing method, I would like to be able to solve the cube faster, I currently do it in 2-3 min useing the Simplest Solutions' method (http://www.victoria.tc.ca/~ue451/solves.html) because it is simple, but I have not problem useing a more complex solution as long as I can understand it. Also is there a similar speed cubeing solution to higher order cubes?

Post subject: How fast?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:48 am 

How fast do you want to do it?
Ill give you my method if you want, i avg. 57 seconds

Post subject: Please do
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:42 am 

If it doesnt take too much effort please share your method with us tyler.

Post subject: here it goes...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:45 am 

My method is just for the F2L. for LL i use http://www.puzzlesolvers.com
First Layer:
I get the cross on white side (yes, always white. its a habit)
Now, i place 3 corners using whatever method u can. I just move pieces... no special algos needed. Leave 1 corner as a "working corner" that isnt solved. this piece will be moved alot...
Second Layer:
I cant explain that good, but
Find an edge that is in the D layer that belongs in the Second layer. move the working corner by rotating U slice to the spot over where the edge belongs. Place the edge under the center piece color that is on the piece, that is facing downward.
Ex: Red/Blue edge piece, with Blue facing me, and red facing down. This piece would be positioned under the Red Center piece
now, turn down the face that doesnt move the edge you just placed, but DOES move the working corner to the bottom layer. Now, turn the bottom layer so that the edge piece from before, is now in the row where the working corner was. (this will be either D or D'. D2 will never be used)
Repeat for 3 edges.
First Layer (last corner)
Now, you have a working EDGE because we only solved 3 edges. Move this under the working corner, and solve that corner. Now, the F2L should be completely solved, except for 1 piece. For this piece, use the algs seen here:
http://www.speedcubing.com/f2l_crosstop_print.html
i only use the first 3 algos. These are from Speedcubing.com

LL:
http://www.puzzlesolver.com

Post subject: Lol.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:37 am 

I wonder if anyone can understand my previous post, if you can understand a single sentence, please tell me, i would be suprised :)

Post subject: I understand...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:37 am 

...because it is the same as what i do!

Post subject: I do too...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:00 am 

Because I think this is how my friend solves the cube. My fast time on another method is a flat 2 minutes (usually 2:15-2:30) but he can solve it almost a minute faster.

Post subject: Speedcubing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:19 pm 

Hi Chris look at my friends site:

http://www.speedcubing.com

There are more methods for speedcubing, there is not one, just many!

My average is 33 seconds, my friend Ron Van Bruchem does it in 18 sec average, using a cube that I prepared!

There are two major speedcubing methods;

Corners first
See Min Thai method

Layer methods

1) first a cross
2) than 1 edge and 1 corner, 4 times this makes two layer
3) Orientate the last layer
4) Set last layer in place

Both method you can do the cube in about 45 moves on average. To get under 20 seconds you must be able to turn at least 3 turns a second! So can do even 5 turns a second. So speedcubing is not only the method but also how can you turn (the finger moevments) as fats as possible.

For an average person (like me) you need about 60 moves, when you can do 2 turns second, as I do. You can get to 33 seconds average.

Post subject: Analysis Time
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:17 pm 

That's a good summary. I am not a speed cuber. I do it in about one minuite with a method simalar to Tyler's. About 60 turns.

In your analysis you say "So speedcubing is not only the method but also how can you turn (the finger moevments) as fast as possible." I would add that there are two more elements. One is the thinking and analysis time that comes between operators. I have always suspected that the good speedcubing techniques excell in part because they make the analysis easy. This could even offset some ineffeciency.

Another factor is the number of different operators you know. You must be able to spot which to use very fast. My own speed is low because I spend too much time thinking about what to do next.

Walt Smith

Post subject: Speed cubing spot teh next move
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:17 pm 

Yes you are right. Before speedcubing it is normal that you may inspect the cube. You can look ahead about 6 moves. So this will be the first 4 edges (the cross). The others moves you must be able to look ahead and spot the next moves, just as you do the last move of the previous turns! The last layer you must "programm your fingers" and turn without thinking.

When you ask a speedcubist to turn slow and explain which turn he does, he does not know! He learned not to think! So speedcubing takes a lot of practice to get under 20 seconds!

For the average people like us that take 60 moves, you can get 30 seconds at average! But you must learn to turn fast at least 2- 2.5 turns a second. You can learn this do:

R U R-1 U-1 and repeat this and the left side

L-1 U- L U

You must be able to do this with 4 turns a second!

And there are a lot of other movements you can learn to do fast. see http://www.speedcubing.com