Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Custom Cube Notes, Questions, and Ramblings
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:04 am 
reading this site has inspired me and I have recently been working on cube modifications. After reading the article on the Fischer tricks I tried my hand at building a 2x2x3. I used normal size cubies with a keychain cube for the inside. It worked out okay with a few visual kinks, such as I had to grind the outer cubes down a bit to fit. But it works!!!

I found a plastics supplier and bought 3/4" triange acrylic and made my own fischer's cube. It wasn't hard and looks pretty good for my first try.

In a local hobby store I found some stuff used to cover radio controlled airplanes. It's made by a company called Top Flite and is called MonoKote. It's self-adhesive, shiny, comes in all colors including metallics and shades and works terrific in place of vinyl or pvc stickers. It comes in about 8"x30" sections for a couple of bucks. I haven't had good results using sheet acrylic, maybe I'm using the wrong kind of glue... what glue should I use to attach the acrylic to the puzzles?

All of you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and skill, but your shared knowledge has provoked many other thoughts, so I have a ton other questions...

1. How do I post pictures with a message on this site? I'll post pictures of my puzzles and let ya'll critique me.

2. My next project is to make a domino using the suggestion and drawing in the Twisty site article. I've got Acrylic cubes of 3/4" size and I will be using a mini cube of approx. 1 1/8". Does anyone know how to figure the math to tell me exactly how far down to begin the cuts on the corner and edge cubes? Is there any way to easily figure this out?

3. Are there any common Megaminx modfications? I don't mean the impossiball and star but are there custom puzzles that can be built using the Megaminx as a base?

4. If I take the common six arm spider and refix three of the arms to make the mechanism for a triangle-shaped cube, how much modification would the lip of the edge pieces have to be changed from a normal 3x3 cube to work? In other words, is it possible to start with a normal 3x3x3 cube and make a triangle shaped cube such as is on puzzler. How about the 5 sided shaped cube. I'm talking about the ones that tyler mentioned a few posts back that someone said Mefferts made as prototypes and never produced.

5. What is the internal mechanism for a Halpern-Meier Pyramid? Can it be built using a normal pyraminx as a base?

6. Could a Mental Block be made easily out of Miliput and a keychain skewb? How about out of a Pyraminx mechanism?

7. Is there any way to build an Ultimate X-cube like is on puzzler? I'm referring the cube shaped puzzle which is just like the dino cube except it is also cut like a normal 2x2 cube as well. If so, then what would be it's internal mechanism?

Thanks for any answers that are out there, and thanks for introducing me to a very different (and expensive) hobby....

Post subject: Dino/2x2x2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:50 am 
The idea is pretty simple, first you take a 2x2x2 that is shaped like an octahedron, then add on rotating pyramid tips to each side. You then shape the tips and pieces like they are in the dino cube or ranbow cube. Now you'll have a working dino cube, finally cut each of the pieces in half along the 2x2x2 lines and now it should work like a 2x2x2 and a dino cube.

I've been thinking about making one but I've only just gotten the nessicary mateerials and still need to get used to them before I can start making things. If you can make these I think we would all like one.

Post subject: eaiser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:01 am 

it would be easier to take a dino mechanism, cut it in 8 pieces (3 cuts- 1 on each axis) and then make it into a 2x2 mechanism. This is how the one described in the patent works.

Post subject: Halpern-Meier Pyramid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:43 am 

You can make a Halpern-Meier pyramid from a skewb-type puzzle. If you take a cube skewb and a diamond skewb apart, put all the pointed pieces in one puzzle and all the flat pieces in another puzzle. Working from the flat piece puzzle, it is easier to see how to build a Halpern-Meier pyramid. Four of the eight triangles would become the center faces of the pyramid. The flat square pieces would be built up to form the edges. The other four triangles would be built up to form the points.

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:01 am 
Yes it would be, and thats what I would have said if I knew an easy was to make a 2x2x2. I'm sure there is one, I just don't know what it is, so I figure have a 2x2x2 to start with. But if you can easily make a 2x2x2 then that would be the best way to do it.

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:43 am 

Is it easy to do this without damaging the puzzles? I mean, can you do this and then put the original puzzles back together again?

Post subject: Answers, comments, more ramblings
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:00 am 

1. How do I post pictures with a message on this site? I'll post pictures of my puzzles and let ya'll critique me.

Get a free web site from somewhere like http://www.angelfire.com after you upload the pics there, jsut type in the URL and it will display them automatically

2. My next project is to make a domino using the suggestion and drawing in the Twisty site article. I've got Acrylic cubes of 3/4" size and I will be using a mini cube of approx. 1 1/8". Does anyone know how to figure the math to tell me exactly how far down to begin the cuts on the corner and edge cubes? Is there any way to easily figure this out?

For this, the fisher plans leave ALOT out. When i made one, or attempted that is. I had to cut ALOT out to make it rotate. You are going to have to fill the holes inside the mini cube for stability. Try using milliput as a starter. I wouldnt use prefab cubies for this project- i would use the cubies off of a regualr 3x3x3, as they will need to be cut down a whole lot to fit on to the kernel.

Its probably easier to make the split-axle version (which i started, but havent finished because i need to use a drill press which i dont own). The split axle version consists of this: cut 6-arm spider in half. Make the 2 halves rotate about eachother. Make round caps on 4 of the axles. and there are some mods needed on the edges and corners. Ask Ton D. to describe this better.

3. Are there any common Megaminx modfications? I don't mean the impossiball and star but are there custom puzzles that can be built using the Megaminx as a base?

Not that i know of, but i was told to make a siamese megaminx many times, but its just expensive ( 2 megaminx @ 26.00 each)

4. If I take the common six arm spider and refix three of the arms to make the mechanism for a triangle-shaped cube, how much modification would the lip of the edge pieces have to be changed from a normal 3x3 cube to work? In other words, is it possible to start with a normal 3x3x3 cube and make a triangle shaped cube such as is on puzzler. How about the 5 sided shaped cube. I'm talking about the ones that tyler mentioned a few posts back that someone said Mefferts made as prototypes and never produced.

No. Dont use a 6 arm to convert it. That would be too hard to move the arms of the mechanism.
I may be mistaken here, but Image
thats a skewb inside (pic from puzzle museum). It seems that this mechanism has 4 arms. I wouldnt know though, i dont have one. The edge pieces would need to be filled with epoxy resin maybe. you could try milliput though... Then, you would need to cut them down. Im not going to do the math to figure out the degree of cutting.

5. What is the internal mechanism for a Halpern-Meier Pyramid? Can it be built using a normal pyraminx as a base?

I dont know

6. Could a Mental Block be made easily out of Miliput and a keychain skewb? How about out of a Pyraminx mechanism?

Easily from a keychain skewb?
I wouldnt say easy....
Its a hard buildup. i have thought about it before.
It would also use a lot of milliput.

7. Is there any way to build an Ultimate X-cube like is on puzzler? I'm referring the cube shaped puzzle which is just like the dino cube except it is also cut like a normal 2x2 cube as well. If so, then what would be it's internal mechanism?

I know what you are talking about, there is a reference to it in Joshua bell's patents page.
you can see part of the patent on delphion:
http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn10=US04474377
and see this also: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=5&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&S1=4474377&OS=4474377&RS=4474377
and this is joshua's patent page: http://www.calormen.com/TwistyPuzzles/twisty.htm

Post subject: Taking the skewb apart
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:23 am 
I understand, thanks. Is there any secret or special way to take these things apart without breaking them?

Post subject: Re: Halpern-Meier Pyramid
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:39 am 

i dont own either puzzle... how much work is involved? any hacking? any milliput needed? etc...

Post subject: How difficult a puzzle is this?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:58 am 
I haven't had time to play with this on puzzler, how difficult a puzzle is this to solve? Thanks for the info... I may attempt to make one.

Post subject: Thanx
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:00 am 

Post subject: Taking apart a Skewb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:23 am 

There's no real secret to it. Just make half a standard turn and pull the corners apart. The puzzles will come apart easily, and can be put back together just as easily. L8r.

Post subject: No Hacking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:42 am 

No hacking required. Lots of epoxy putty is required to build it up.

Post subject: Have you done it
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:42 am 

have you done this?