Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:46 pm 

dlitwin wrote:
Yeah, I plan on my own pictures after doing the company logo. Probaby Stephen Colbert first, then perhaps the Girl With A Pear Earring. That one looks like it will turn out nice with these cubes.

Dave

I'm glad you liked my idea!

I was actually researching that painting for school when I suggested it.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:26 pm 

definityly do colbert. then you can send the pic to his show and mabye you'll get featured. like that one band or willie nelson. mmmmmmm country style peach cobbler flavored ben and jerrys ice cream. i also liked the 5 necked guitar and peter frampton w/ the voice changing microphone attachment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:47 pm 

you know what we need? a cube art picture of a cube!!! that would be sick. and because you dont' have black stickers for the plastic, you could use the white stickers to represent white plastic! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:43 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
you know what we need? a cube art picture of a cube!!! that would be sick. and because you dont' have black stickers for the plastic, you could use the white stickers to represent white plastic! :D

Check the middle of the first page of this thread:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51332&sid=0746f9d9983dfe3566e0ee075e263156#51332

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:45 pm 

oops, i guess you are right :oops:

oh well, never hurts to remind people of wonderful ideas! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:39 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
oops, i guess you are right :oops:
oh well, never hurts to remind people of wonderful ideas! :D

No worries :)

Here are some more updated photos. I hope to finish today, and start on a better version of the logo.

Dave

Half complete:
Almost done...
Note that I've once again left myself room to buy more cubes: I built the frame for 32x24 and I only have enough cubes for 32x20. Perhaps more are on the way...
The blue side borders are because I don't have enough white yet. Adam will help with that soon, but he's been busy.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm 

Looks really great! Nice job! I kind of like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:00 am 

OK, so I finally finished my first version of the logo. I build the frame larger than the cubes I have to be 4x3 aspect, so I'll have to buy more :) Also, I had to add blue edges because I don't have enough white stickers. Adam is busy but will be printing me some soon. I think I'll have to ask him to double the order ;)

Next up will be a picture with the same logo but darker coloring so the blending fits better into the palette of the cubes. Then perhaps Mr. Colbert ;)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:47 pm 

Awesome! that is a true work of art, screw mona lisa!!!! (who was she anyways?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:58 pm 

Cool. :D

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:58 pm 

some good news for everyone, I am back in town after 3 trips back to back to back. I finished the stickers for Dave and They will be on their way to him this week. Hopefully he can finish a few different pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
some good news for everyone, I am back in town after 3 trips back to back to back. I finished the stickers for Dave and They will be on their way to him this week. Hopefully he can finish a few different pictures

Hey... I was getting worried as you hadn't posted for some time.
Welcome back!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:51 pm 

Adam, what do you do that has you constantly running off all the time? You seem to take a lot of trips, is it for your job?

I seem to keep forgetting that people on here have other things to do besides puzzling :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:44 pm 

I am a computer Tech. I take care of Rec Facilities for the southwest region for the Navy. I am always in and out of town. Its amazing that I have time for anything sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:15 pm 

Ah, nice to see this thread revived! Interesting Job, Adam. Computers and cubing: pretty much all you need in life :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:36 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:

And I just got the final shipment of mini cubes (another 120) so I can fill the entire 32x24 frame for the full 768 cube effect. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone image:
I hope to receive the stickers soon so I don't have to have the large blue border around the picture.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:00 pm 

Ha! That is awesome, how big does it stand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:16 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Ha! That is awesome, how big does it stand?

The cubes are 3cm, so 32x24 means 96cm X 72cm. With the small about-half-inch borders, the frame is 40" by 30".

I made the frame fairly tight, so I have to compress the cubes a bit to wedge in the last one. The stickers on the cubes do take up space too, about 3mm over 10 cubes. Packing them tight keeps the cubes relatively square, and also means if it is tilted a bit it won't come apart in an avalanche of almost 800 cubes. Try figuring out which way they went in at that point...

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 pm 

Ha, too much math!! I still love this art though, much better than painting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:04 pm 

Wow Dave... Thats absolutly amazing... I wish I had the resources to do something like that... Its really cool, but I can't imagine stickering and taking out the keychain from that many cubes... Its crazy!

<b>3x3x3 Best Average: 0:30.9
3x3x3 Best Solve (Unlucky): 0:21.xx
3x3x3 Best Solve (Lucky): 0.20.xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:50 pm 

Nice work... I was going to do the same but with quite a few less cubes, but after seeing how terrible they turn i think i'm going to pass. I've got 100 of the cubes (well about 96 still in tact) that i'd be willing to let go of if you guys are adding on. Why should you buy from me instead of another lot on ebay? well the labor to remove the wrappers and keychains is free (and already done)

Glad to see you've cleaned up the TM, whith such a simple logo you might be best just going with solid colors.

Oh and here's a thought, and you'll prob want to kill me afterwards, Why not do a 2 sided picture? get some plexyglass for the back and solve away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:52 pm 

Would it be possible though? I imagine that there are not enough colors on a cube to do such a feat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Would it be possible though? I imagine that there are not enough colors on a cube to do such a feat.
Depends on the images on each side. If you're doing two with lots of white, the no, it isn't possible.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:35 pm 

FireWezul wrote:
Wow Dave... Thats absolutly amazing... I wish I had the resources to do something like that... Its really cool, but I can't imagine stickering and taking out the keychain from that many cubes... Its crazy!

I had help with removing the packaging and keychains, and it actually went pretty fast.

The restickering is another story. I did the bulk of it (about 450 cubes) in a few hours one day, but the real cost is in cleanup.

First off, the stickers are often on pretty poorly. The first set of cubes I looked at were pretty good: centered 1mm on the cube in a nice, uniform way. But after dealing with a bunch, you start to notice lots of variation. I've had cubes with multiple sides that are off by more than 1mm, which means they overlap the gaps between cubies. To turn the cube I have to remove and replace all of these. Oh wait, perhaps this is a rant for the other thread... ;)

The worst is when my restickering is off the opposite direction of the poor stickering job they did. So if I'm .5mm off one way and they are off 1mm the other way, I wind up with huge L shaped color bordering my white sticker, on all nine stickers. These I wind up redoing by hand with the pocket knife.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm happy with almost *none* of them, but have to grind my teeth and focus on only fixing a few of the worst offenders each day.

I'll try to do a better job lining up the cubes in the 9x9 frame when restickering to minimize this on the next batch...

...which will start tomorrow. The final batch of white stickers arrived at home today. Thanks Adam!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Oh and here's a thought, and you'll prob want to kill me afterwards, Why not do a 2 sided picture? get some plexyglass for the back and solve away.

Heh. I looked into building a plastic frame instead of wood, but it was more expensive and I like working with wood.

I'd have to write a program if I wanted to do double sided. It would have to edit the dithered version to alter it to be possible on both sides. Better yet would be to writed a ditherer that would take into account the possible colors for each 9 pixel sub-grid of both sides and generate the image. I'm sure it would reject images fairly often based on solid background colors. I suppose you'd have to choose images with very different moods so you don't wind up with a white/white problem.

This is definitely a problem for a college student that has the time to delve into such issues. I certainly don't but would love to see it done.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:06 pm 

So long as you didn't go with solid colors i think you'd be fine going two sided. See the blue of your outer ring, That's made up of multiple colors, having the same in other areas should allow a two sided pic. I don't think a special program would be needed, if you run into a too many of one color for one cube problem you could prob trade colors with a neighboring cube. Or if you're doing something like your logo, go with solid colors, and just pick a picture \ logo on the other side with the other colors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:41 am 

glad to hear that you got the stickers! i am looking forward to seeing the final outcome of the pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:42 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
glad to hear that you got the stickers! i am looking forward to seeing the final outcome of the pictures!

Yeah, what should I do next...

Dave

Attachments:
AdamZamora.gif
AdamZamora.gif [ 1.86 KiB | Viewed 8147 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:10 pm 

dlitwin wrote:
Adam Zamora wrote:

Yeah, what should I do next...

Dave

HA! That is a goodn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:50 pm 

Dave, If you want a better picture of me just ask. that would be really cool though if you did that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:56 pm 

I agree! Do Adam next! It was because of his God powers of sticker making that this whole project was possible! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
Dave, If you want a better picture of me just ask. that would be really cool though if you did that!

Yeah, I just googled you and found something from a news show, sorry it wasn't better. But I think I made the point which was to flatter but possibly scare you with the possibility...

Sorry to tease. I'm not going to promise to do any portraits at this point because I have to pay my dues to the company (who financed this endeavor) by making a better version of the logo, and then blog about it on the company web site. Of course, most of the content will come from what I've posted here.

After our logo will probably be Stephen Colbert: firstly because he is awesome but also because doing his portrait in cube art and blogging about it will really meet our stated goals with the marketing project: Get attention. At that point I figure I'll just do whatever I want, and we'll see what I come up with.

I'm guessing with the larger size it will take weeks to months depending on how complex the image is. The logo was a bit of a cheat because of all the solid colors, and the fact that most cubes were in a solved state. I only had to really custom solve 267 of the 768 cubes. So most likely what I do after the logo will take three times as long. And all the cubes are scrambled, going back to solid fill colors won't really be any faster than to another scrambled state.

When it comes to earning a portrait outside of the scope of the marketing project though, Adam is on the short list with Mr. Rubik, myself (I suppose...) and a co-worker who has assisted in the project.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:46 pm 

Here's another thought, although I think I'd have to use a smaller frame with less cubes:

Video.

Solve the frame, take a picture, solve another, etc.

Having worked with color palette image compression libraries, it certainly is possible to use frame to frame differences to minimize the work needed on each frame, although not all methods could be used (shifting the image by anything but a multiple of three would not be faster).

Hmmm... Perhaps a smaller frame will have to be built...

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:22 am 

I'm confused, are you saying that you would do this whole next project with photo editing stuff? Or maybe I'm just not reading closely enough...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 am 

Dave maybe before or after the Berkley competition I can come over and see the project that I helped you with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:29 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
Dave maybe before or after the Berkley competition I can come over and see the project that I helped you with.

Absolutely. I'm in the middle of restickering now, but that should be complete by next week and I should be well into the new logo.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 pm 

Whoa... a cube animation would be insane. For a decent video, you'd probably want at least 10 seconds (200-300 frames), so make sure you know what you're getting yourself into...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:42 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
I'm confused, are you saying that you would do this whole next project with photo editing stuff? Or maybe I'm just not reading closely enough...

No, I mean building a physical frame, solving the cubes to a particular pictures and fit them in the frame and then take a picture of the result from a fixed angle and distance. Like stop animation.

By keeping the picture of the frame a consistent position and distance, the result shouldn't shake around too much. But a bit of that would add to the effect, I suppose, to drive home that this isn't computer generated.

Really, that is what makes this project worth it, It's much easier just to edit a jpg, but how interesting is that? :)

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 pm 

Oh, in this case, go for it! I'd like to see how much this art can be changed around. Mixing photography and art... nice combo :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 pm 

So with all the new white stickers Adam gave me I was starting to chug along in the restickering of some red faces and was just getting really sick of the results.

The cube's stickers are a bit off, and my alignment is never going to be perfect, so I wind up with way more color showing than I had wanted.

Although I thought it wouldn't be worth it to remove the stickers first, I decided to give it a try.

First off, it means instead of choosing the best stickered side of a cube to replace (i.e. the least likely to show beneath the white sticker), I would instead choose the worst stickered side. The overall effect is to improve the overall stickering quality of the cube, whereas the other method inevitably made things worse by leaving the bad stickers and replacing the best.

Here's a set of bad stickered sides:
Now time to get rid of them. I tried with a knife while holding a cube in my hand, but this is far too slow and dangerous for doing more than a few stickers at a time. Next I tried a scrape rite, but it quickly was hard on my fingers. They need a single sided scrape rite with a nice, rubbery side for you to press on. I settled on the end of my metal ruler as about the right sharpness and grip. I quickly gouged my thumb with the corner of the ruler when dealing with holding such a small cube.
The solution was to use the restickering frame to hold the cubes for me:
Once the stickers were removed I had to clean off all the bits of plastic that the ruler made while scraping off the stickers. The mini-cube stickers aren't that hard to get off, and not much gunk is left over, but the ruler makes some very shallow shavings at times depending on how careful I am. Nothing that will matter if the debris is removed. I used the application tape from a sheet of stickers Adam sent me as a great tool to grab this from the cubes. It was pretty good for cleaning up the 81 crumpled and torn stickers as well.
The result was a much nicer stickering job. Sure, the frame based nine at a time stickering gets a bit off on the edges, but it is better than most of the stickers on the cube from the factory, so I'm happy:
You can really see the difference when they are next to each other in the frame:

Since Adam sent me a bunch of extra stickers, I'm going to go back and re-sticker the worst offenders of my first stickering attempts.

I'll be ready to start the new logo soon, but my inner neat-freak has been quieted by my new, more labor intensive approach.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:01 pm 

Ha, silly neat freak. Nice job though, I can't wait for the next result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:44 pm 

Whew.

At long last my obsession has paid off and all the cubes are stripped of any colors that might have been stickered over.

Largely this consisted of scraping off the poorly stickered ones (what I should have done in the first place) and applying fresh white stickers on black plastic. Hmmm.... So satsifying.

But since I didn't have an additional 200 cubes worth of white stickers and had ordered plenty from Adam already, I took it upon myself to cut away any colored sticker showing around the white stickers of the remaining few hundred that I couldn't resticker completely.

Finally, *all* are clean.

And so, with no further delay, I present the re-done logo:

It is larger than the last: The full 32x24 cubes (768 total) for 96 by 72 pixesl. It is slightly darker so there is no white in the colored bands. And it has nice, pure white for the background.

Now that the redone logo is completed, a nice portrait of Stephen Colbert is next.

Enjoy,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 pm 

That's beautiful! The stickers look very regular (especially the white ones!) and the logo itself looks much better than last time.

I hope that your Colbert portrait will turn out just as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:42 pm 

qqwref wrote:
That's beautiful! The stickers look very regular (especially the white ones!) and the logo itself looks much better than last time.

I hope that your Colbert portrait will turn out just as well!

I'm thinking this is the image I will do:
Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:47 pm 

Wow, nice job!!

By the way, who the heck is this Colbert guy?? Did I ask this question already? It's been such a long time since I have seen this thread, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:11 pm 

He has an awsome "news/political" show on comedy central. Like the Daily show, but much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm 

Sune2bSub20 wrote:
Wow, nice job!!

By the way, who the heck is this Colbert guy?? Did I ask this question already? It's been such a long time since I have seen this thread, lol.

Let late night Comedy Central be your guide. Or Google. Or Wikipedia. Really, you can't fail to find him on those three places :)

He used to be on the Daily Show, but now does his own show, The Colbert Report. He is probably most famous for hosting the White House Corresponents' Association Dinner:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:38 am 

That was kindof funny... There were some moments that I laughed, such as:

" I believe in America. I believe it exists!"

Other than that, it was a bit boring. Oh well, I could see a portrait of him done in cubes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:49 pm 

I've made a bit of progress on the portrait, here's a preview. I did the sides because with just a few solved cubes I could fill in a bunch of white with already-solved white cubes from the previous logo. But it is slow going on the main bulk of the picture, where each cube is a pretty random jumble of colors. I'll get some free solves for the dark part of his hair and then again at the top of the picture, filling with white again.
Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 am 

I like it so far! It looks like it's a pain to set up all those little cubes though, especially since some of them don't turn so well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next