Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need Help Customizing Cube
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:05 am 
I've been thinking of making a variation color scheme and applying it to a generic cube, but have no idea how to go about getting appropriate stickers for it. Meffert's tiles won't work, since 1/3 of the faces will have 2 colors each. I don't have a color printer. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Customizing Cube
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:35 pm 

I'd suggest you call around to any stores in your area that make custom signs and ask if they do vinyl graphics. If they say yes, then tell them what you'd like to do. Some will say OK, but others won't be able to handle it on account of the small size. Some will even allow you to create custom picture cubes, but apparently the best results are made with something called a "Gerber" system (as in the baby food), which is very rare in sign shops, and thus very expensive. If you're just looking for plain vanilla monocoloured stickers, then pretty much any place should do just fine, bringing the price down dramatically (eg. about $15 Canadian/cube vs. about $200, before the eonomies of scale kick in). Good luck with your project. :) L8r.

Post subject: Whoa! Someone else can try this
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2000 1:16 am 
I'm in no position to be ordering stickers to the tune of anywhere over $10. I figured as a last resort I could just go to an office supply store and get cheap stickers, which is what I'll end up doing. If any of you would be interested in my idea, just drop by Image. It's a pattern based on Rubik's Triamid, and is a little simpler than the standard cube.

Post subject: just cut the stickers OR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2000 2:40 am 
If the stickers are in good condition just cut and re stick if there is not enuf of one color use stickers from another cube and make two modifyed cubes.Or you could try colored electrical tape.This idea was proposed on another web site for repacement of original stickers.Also thanks for displaying your pattern. I think I'll try it out on one of my generic cubes (using the tape meathod)

Post subject: Paint
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 2:40 am 

When the stickers wore out on my first Oddz On cube I painted it, and it worked great.
I used paint I had used for plastic models, but I suspect that any oil- or acrylic-paint will work fine. This way you can get most any pattern you'd like.

Post subject: Custon Stickers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 5:13 am 

Hi Tim. I see you have done some research about this. I feel bad about disappointing you last year. We use Gerber's Graphix Adantage system at work and I have access to an Edge, the digital printer for vinyl. If you any cool ideas, access to decent resolution images and enough patience to wait for me to get around to it, I would like to produce a custom cube for you. Email me.

Jake