Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: News from Jürgen Brandt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:34 pm 

As you probably know, Jürgen Brandt from Germany has made some fantastic puzzles.
Some of these are explained in the article “Puzzles designed and made by Jürgen Brandt” (see the article section of this forum).

Jürgen is a very kind and relaxed person.
Unfortunately, his health is not very good. So, he is not in the position to make puzzles for others. He also hasn’t made many new designs over the past months/years. On the other hand he wants to share his ideas on puzzles with others.
So, already in October 2003, Jürgen made a home-video of his puzzles in which he explains the backgrounds of his puzzles, how they were made etc.. The video contains slightly more than 4 hours of material!!

I have recently spoken with Jürgen and in agreement with him I have put that video on a DVD for the purpose of sharing it with all who are interested in his puzzles.
It is a home-made video. So, the quality of the pictures and sound is limited and the text is in German (Jürgen doesnt speak much English). Still, also for those who do not speak German, I believe that it is relatively clear what he is explaining (“a picture explains more than 1000 words”). In my opinion, the DVD is certainly a great way to learn a bit more about him and his puzzles.

I am currently making a pile of copies of the DVD.
Everybody who is interested in the DVD is requested to contact me.
The costs involved in obtaining a sample of the DVD are limited to the costs of shipment (provided the amount remains limited to some tens of DVD’s). Jürgen is also not requesting any money for the DVD.
However, I know that Jürgen loves to have feedback on his puzzles. So, I believe that part of the deal should also be to arrange some personal feedback (a letter, a card or whatever) to Jürgen by all who receive a sample of the DVD.

So, in case you are interested, just let me know.
Preferably, please use my e-mail address listed via the button below for letting me know.
I will also bring DVD’s with me to the Dutch Cube Day of next week.

Geert Hellings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:57 pm 

Could someone make an English transcript of the DVD? I would really like to know what his decriptions are.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:03 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
Could someone make an English transcript of the DVD? I would really like to know what his decriptions are.

Dito!

Maybe the easiest way would be that someone* with enough time, knowledge and willingness did a translation and posted it here?

Sure it would be great if somebody made an english subtitle or something that way, but I guess that is very timeconsuming...

Great initiative Geert

* Not me, I am terrible at German, but I believe in Geert about the 1000 words :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:13 pm 

I'm a huge fan of Jurgen Brandt. I've made a couple of replicas of his, Edges only cube and Icosahedron transformation of Pyraminx. His ideas have inspired me to think deeper when looking at designs, especially combining cuts: Edge Cube -> Baby Face Cube.

I'm very sorry to hear about his health. I guess I may never get a chance to own an original Brandt puzzle which I had been coveting any of them.

The one puzzle that has driven me nuts trying to decipher is "Draken" I tried but I'm still not sure what the solved position is. I'm very curious to build one of these mysterious masterpieces designed by one of the greatest ever.

I have to have one of these DVD's.

Please send my best wishes to Mr. Brandt...
-mike grimsley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:18 am 

I believe that it will be difficult to make an English transcript of the DVD.
Please take into account that the DVD is slightly more than 4 hours.

However, the combination of the mentioned article + the pictures themselves should make most things relatively clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:14 am 

That sounds really interesting.
Luckily I plan to come to the DCD and am German :)
I'd like to get one of the DVDs.

- Frank -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:29 pm 

hello i ordered a DVD and i have never seen Jürgen Brandt before but i have seen his amazing puzzles.So i was wondering if anyone has any pictures of him with his puzzles? even though i will see him soon on the DVD

Post subject: Re: News from Jürgen Brandt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 am 

I know this is a long shot.. but I am hoping to get a copy of "puzzles by Jurgen Brandt DVD" Are they still available? Does anyone own it, who is willing to make me a copy? I have seen the youtube vids, but im hoping to get a hard copy for a friend of mine, and local puzzle collector.

Thanks a bunch

Brad P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:12 am 

The video has been uploaded for sometime here- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz
Jurgen gave me permission to do this a few years back. I edited out the long pauses where nothing at all happened. Jurgen sometimes just let the camera run instead of turning it off while he went to get something. I edited the video into smaller sections since at that time I had a limit to the length of videos I could upload.
If the DVD was being sold for a profit I would not undermine the sale like this but from what Geert says it is not. I would still advise people to get the DVD but the Youtube stuff will at least give an idea of what's on it.

adigitalparadox wrote:
I know this is a long shot.. but I am hoping to get a copy of "puzzles by Jurgen Brandt DVD" Are they still available? Does anyone own it, who is willing to make me a copy? I have seen the youtube vids, but im hoping to get a hard copy for a friend of mine, and local puzzle collector.

It's all the same video.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 am 

Guys, this post is 6 years old! Can we NOT add more to it. Thanks for the links Tony. I'm locking it all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:11 am 

katsmom wrote:
Guys, this post is 6 years old! Can we NOT add more to it. Thanks for the links Tony. I'm locking it all the same.
Note that in this case the proper way to avoid a bump and have the right context would be to post a request for the video in a new topic and add a link back to the original topic. While this may not seem very different, it does make it clear what is new and what is old discussion: Those who have read the previous thread years ago don't need to follow up on the link, but those who have not can access it.

Dave :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]