Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another Cool Site
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:53 am 

Take a look at this site. In the first picture are a couple of puzzles I've never seen before.

http://csx.jp/~3dpuzzle/index.html

Post subject: Slim Tower?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:54 am 

That's really cool; that customizer is doing some cool stuff, and the "family graph" on the home page is really nifty. It sorta mirrors how I have my collection arranged on some shelves. The mechanism vs. shape dichotomy is a bear. :)

The big question: On this site and Kar Watanabe's site there's a picture of a 2x2x3 called a "Slim Tower". In both cases it's made clear that this is not merely an "extended" 2x2x2 in the sense that the 3x3x5 is an extended 3x3x3; in the Slim Tower all of the layers can turn. Does anyone have details on how it's done or what the puzzle is actually like?

I know there's a generalized extension mechanism for the 2x2x2 (US Patent #4593907; Abu-Shumays, Abu-Shumays), so it's not hard to see in theory how you could make a 2x2x3 where the "extended" pieces could rotate when they're all adjacent; when scrambled, the extended pieces would become "fixed" to one of the core 2x2x2 cubies.

Additionally, I've got an untried recipe in my head for a simple conversion of the 2x2x2, using the existing quarter-circular guides and taking advantage of the fixed axis mechanism of the 2x2x2.

More details, anyone?

Post subject: 2x2x3 mechanism
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:18 am 

Joshua, it looks like we found this picture at almost the same time. (Look at my previous posting.)

I'm not positive on this, but I think that the extensions that were suggested in the Abu-Shumays patent still used the original 2x2x2 base mechanism while adding an additional mechanism on both ends to create a 2x2x4 puzzle. I think that the 2x2x3 requires a significantly different original mechanism.

Doug.

Post subject: Translate
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 7:53 am 

if you translate it, it states that they do custom moldings/mods of rubik cubes

Post subject: Not your ordinary 2x2x3 cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:37 am 

Check out the 2x2x3 cube at this site, and then click on the light blue text next to the picture.

http://csx.jp/~3dpuzzle/sub5.html

This is not just an extension added to a 2x2x2 pocket cube. The puzzle turns about its face centers as seen in the several midturn positions shown.

I wonder what the internal mechanism for this one looks like. Was the mechanism designed specifically for this puzzle, or was it modified from an existing puzzle mechanism?

Post subject: Domino?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 6:18 am 

Aren't these Slim Towers using the same mechanisms that are in the Dominoes?

Post subject: Ah, not a 2x2x2 variant at all!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:17 pm 

Ah, the page at Image shows it in action. It's certainly not a 2x2x2 with extensions, mobile or otherwise. I'd still like to see the the Abu-Shumays extension mechanism applied to just one face of a 2x2x2, though.

Knowing that trick, it's possible to work out a possible mechanism for the Slim Tower 2x2x3: First, construct a 2x2x1. An ugly but known approach is to just "box" pairs of cubies on a 2x2x2; a more elegant solution seems feasible using a variant of Wayne's proposed domino mechanism. Second, extend the 2x2x1 on each side using the Abu-Shumays extension mechanism.

Another mechanism is detailed in another Abu-Shumays patent: US4586713

Post subject: I have this item!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:41 pm 

Hi Josh,
the japanese boy was selling to me some nice puzzles and he was so friendly to send me also (his?) Slim Tower for playing. I will show at my website next week some pictures from this nice puzzle. The cubes are a little bit smaller than the original cube from a rubiks pocket. The puzzle turns very well and is in high quality handmade.

Post subject: All shall be revealed.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:39 pm 

New article going up on Twisty in the next few hours will show you how to make your own. Hint: Inside the 2x2x3 is a miniture 3x3x3.