Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cube tension adjustment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:15 am 

any way to adjust cube tension? i just got a new one and one side is just so tight. i cant hardly use ot

Post subject: Tension adjustment
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:15 am 

On a couple of cubes I have I managed to adjust the tension by removing the center sticker of the corresponding offending axis. There may be a circular disk underneath that can be popped off so that the tensioning screw can be adjusted. On some knockoffs I've seen the whole cubelet face come off, so removal of the sticker is unnecessary. Determine that obviously by partially disassembling the cube in the normal fashion and examining the center piece.

If you adjust it too much the screw may start coming loose when you work with the cube. In which case might I recommend a drop of Loctite blue in the center spindle. It's not a permanent adhesive so the tension can still be adjusted but under normal play circumstances the cube will not come loose.Just make sure to let it dry properly. Loctite can be found at most major hardware chain stores or auto parts stores. Ask for it by name and they'll know.