Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Square-1 Puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:54 pm 
Who here has the Square-1 puzzle? I've had it for almost 10 years now... I never did solve it completely, only as far as getting it back into cube shape, not getting the colours back to normal.

But the other day I remembered about it so I went hunting for it and decided to look for solution sites on the net to finally figure it out, and now I appreciate it all over again, it's twice as good as the rubix cube because there are twice as many methods at least you need to use to solve it.

I haven't got the packages for it anymore, so anyone know who makes it or if it is still made?

Post subject: It is still available :o)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 1:07 am 
The Square-1 is still being sold by Meffert's Puzzle and Games(MPG) at http://www.mefferts.com
Cost ~US$12 plus shipping worldwide, happy buying!!
Ebay has them occasionally for lower of course :)
I have to agree with u that this is one of the toughest sequential movement puzzles out there!
However, solution-wise is still memorize and solve thru experience, I even have a bandaged Square-1, it was naturally bandaged due to improper slicing of one moving plane, making it look as though u can turn the slice but in actual fact, it's bandaged within, so I formulated my own solution for that and now I feel pretty good about solving it in its complicated form.

Post subject: Also available from...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:07 am 

Toys R Us still sells them for $4.99.

Post subject: Square 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:43 am 

Funny you should mention the square 1. At the moment Im trying to figure it out. Ive got it into a cube shape now and have figured out a couple of moves which I know will solve it for me. Its just a matter of patience now working out how to use them best.

I recently got mine from Mefferts as someone else mentioned, and it seems like a very well built puzzle. The shipping is actually free for around the world. However this took rather a long time to arrive which is very unusual considering Mefferts usually delivers extremely quickly. I think they send square 1's out from Canada. Maybe this made the difference...

Post subject: Inside
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:34 pm 

Does anyone have apicture of the insides of a square 1?

Post subject: Square1 insides
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 4:34 pm 

I don't have a picture, though I have seen a picture on a website that no longer exists.

There is a long pin/screw holding the middle layer pieces together. On most Square-1's it is nearly impossible to get at this screw without damaging the puzzle.

There is a circular rail on the top and bottom of the middle layer (I don't remember whether it has a T or an inverted L shaped cross section), and the pieces are hooked onto these rails.

Jaap