Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: So... how do I address my potentially missing package?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:43 pm 

I've just moved to a new state and made my first order since the move, and therefore don't know if the postal system is different around here. But I ordered some puzzles on Amazon, and they claim to have been delivered last Monday but I haven't gotten a package. I know sometimes it says Delivered early but it's been over a week.

Checking Amazon, it says Signed for by United States Postal Service. Does that mean I have to go get it at the local post office? In California it was always just delivered to my house. I never got a note on my door for attempted delivery or anything at all. I went to File a Claim for a missing parcel but that option isn't available for my order, where it's been available before, even from the same seller.

I have used this seller multiple times and always been satisfied, and he's actually based in the state I live in according to his profile, so I would have expected shorter postal times than when I lived 1,000 miles away

I live in Deschutes County Oregon if that helps.

Post subject: Re: So... how do I address my potentially missing package?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 pm 

I know sometimes Amazon uses a goofy system where the package starts out with UPS or Fedex or some other carrier, then it's passed to the USPS who then delivers it. So it sounds like the USPS will deliver your package ... eventually. It seems when something is shipped this way to me, it takes way longer than it should.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm 

As an extremely avid Amazon user (hundreds of orders a year), I've seen some rather odd shipping stuff. I've received neighbors packages many times and they've received mine a few times. When the delivery is via UPS or FedEx or OnTrac the delivery status is almost always correct.

When USPS is the carrier though, I've seen the status get changed to "delivered" days before it actually got delivered. This has happened enough times that it isn't a fluke.

You should give it a few days and then if the carrier was USPS, go to your post office and inquire about it. Sometimes packages get lost there for a long time. All it takes is somebody to misplace it and it will take them weeks to find it. USPS service is terrible. I avoid them as much as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:20 pm 

So the fact that there is no option to file a claim yet does insinuate USPS just has it somewhere? I think I will go down there today and inquire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
So the fact that there is no option to file a claim yet does insinuate USPS just has it somewhere? I think I will go down there today and inquire.

In all likelihood USPS still has it. It could be at your local post office. It could be in a postal truck on its way to your house. It could be in a USPS distribution hub. You'll need to give it several days before you consider filing lost package claims.

The post office I used for several years in San Diego lost some of my packages from HK for months because they they misclassified them as domestic so they couldn't find them when I'd tell them where they came from. This happened 3 times before I insisted that they check all of their various queues.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:52 pm 

I spoke with USPS. Turns out my property managers forgot to tell us about our second mailbox when we moved here! My puzzles have just been in the mail box for a week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:08 am 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
I spoke with USPS. Turns out my property managers forgot to tell us about our second mailbox when we moved here! My puzzles have just been in the mail box for a week.

Hahahaha :lol:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles