Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Faulty designs or bad luck?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am 

Dear puzzlers

first of all I want to say that most puzzles are awesome and I´m fascinated by the increasing complexity of the puzzles and their construction.

But there are very few for which I am not sure if they have a constructional defect or if I just got a sort of defect exemplar.

So I want to ask you to share our experiences regarding this topic.

In my case I own 3 puzzles which I am not sure of if they have a faulty design or if I just got a defect copy.

Those are: The Super Square One and the Super Square triangle by mf8 and tha Da yan Gem VII

The supersquare puzzles are incredibly hard to handle. The center which should be fixed do sometimes turn sometimes not. You need brute force to bring in in the right alignement.
With the Da yan Gem VII I have big problems to turn the rectangular faces. When I tried to loose the screws just a tiny bit the puzzle fell apart several times by simply turning it.

Do you have similar experiences (maybe with other puzzles)?
In case I just got a faulty exemplar I could maybe send it back and ask for a new one.

Happy puzzling!
Dr. Twist

Post subject: Re: Faulty designs or bad luck?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 am 

All of the Super Square One puzzles have that problem. The core is the two circle half bits, and the pieces are all on the rails of the inner or outer layers, which are attached to the core. That means the core can move independently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:27 am 

For the dayan gem VII I have it in orange body and all the square faces turn great, and for the hexagonal faces, its one of the smothest puzzle I have, so I don't know why the black ones turn bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:56 pm 

Elias Acrich wrote:
For the dayan gem VII I have it in orange body and all the square faces turn great, and for the hexagonal faces, its one of the smothest puzzle I have, so I don't know why the black ones turn bad.
After a few solves, the square faces on my black body DaYan Gem VII are a little tight, but they turn OK. The hexagonal faces turn nicely. I did lube the square faces (actually I lubed one and then scrambled the puzzle) and I adjusted the tension.