Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tips for the Bubbloid 122
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm 

I am going to order the Bubbloid 122 in a couple of weeks, and I would like some tips for assembly, stickers, and polishing shapeways puzzles in general. Any advice will help. Thanks in advance!
P.S. This is kind of off topic, but this is the post that makes me a 4x4x4. :D

Post subject: Re: Tips for the Bubbloid 122
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:41 pm 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
I am going to order the Bubbloid 122 in a couple of weeks, and I would like some tips for assembly, stickers, and polishing shapeways puzzles in general. Any advice will help. Thanks in advance!
P.S. This is kind of off topic, but this is the post that makes me a 4x4x4. :D

I've assembled 17 of these :D

Prep:
Make sure you get all of the powder out of the core. It will probably come completely packed full of powder and if you try to dye the core with all of that powder in there you'll have a major mess on your hands.

Assembly:
The geometry and mechanism for the puzzle makes it mostly self-supporting. It doesn't really need any screws. Because of this, it can be tricky to snap together without a TON of force. The only pieces you have to worry about breaking are the corners. They have three tiny feet on them. Put two of the feet into the core groove without any force and then twist / push the third foot into the groove with minimal force.

I start by snapping all of the corners into the the core. You can put in screws now and get the screw snug against the corner but not tight. You don't have to put screws in at this stage but it can help you to avoid popping the corners out while putting in the middle edges.

Then I snap all of the internal middle-edges into place. I just do this with force. No finesse. I make a fist with the tip of my thumb curved away from my knuckles and then I place a middle-edge piece between my thumb and pointer-finger knuckle so that the two surfaces of the piece that are to be stickered are pushed on equally.

Then I snap all of the small edge-wings into place. These are pretty easy to do.

At this point you can tension the screws.

You may find putting the corners into the core difficult. You almost certainly will find snapping the middle-edges very hard. If you soak all of the pieces in very hot water and assemble the pieces while hot it will become very easy to put together. I highly recommend you do this if you want to make things easy. If you don't want to potentially leach dye out of the parts then make yourself a "hair-blow-dryer-oven" to keep the temperature of the parts up for assembly. The closer the parts are to burning your hands the easier they'll be to snap in.

Corner caps will probably snap in. You will want to glue them down once you have the puzzle broken in and tensioned right.

Stickering:
There is nothing to say here. It's simple.

Solving:
It's a good, fun, easy, casual solve. I solve middle-edges and corner orientation and then cycle edge-wings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
I've assembled 17 of these :D
I've stickered 16 of those 17 LOL!!! And I've put together quite a few myself, maybe not quite 17 but maybe a dozen. I've got one I'll be dying and assempling this weekend.
Brandon Enright wrote:
Prep:
Make sure you get all of the powder out of the core.
I have an air compressor which I use for this purpose. Before that I would buy those cans of compressed air which are used for cleaning keyboards and the like.
Brandon Enright wrote:
Assembly:The only pieces you have to worry about breaking are the corners.
I've never had one of these break, have you?
Brandon Enright wrote:
They have three tiny feet on them. Put two of the feet into the core groove without any force and then twist / push the third foot into the groove with minimal force.
Yes, this is what I do. These go in much easier then the final middle edges so I've never thought anything was near breaking at this stage.
Brandon Enright wrote:
I start by snapping all of the corners into the the core. You can put in screws now and get the screw snug against the corner but not tight. You don't have to put screws in at this stage but it can help you to avoid popping the corners out while putting in the middle edges.
Nice suggestion about adding the screws as you put the corners in to keep them from popping out again. I've never done this and I've always added the screws last but I have had corners pop out during assembly. However I do NOT add all the corners at the same time. I add two corners and then add the middle edge which goes between them. This can be added with basically zero force by sticking it to an open side of one of the corners and rotating it into position. I then keep adding coners and middle edges as I go. You can add about a half to two thirds of the middle edges this way. It varies from the Bubbloid122 to the Bubboid112 a little bit. But its much easier to get the middle edges in at this stage then it is to wait until all the corners are attached.
Brandon Enright wrote:
Then I snap all of the internal middle-edges into place. I just do this with force. No finesse. I make a fist with the tip of my thumb curved away from my knuckles and then I place a middle-edge piece between my thumb and pointer-finger knuckle so that the two surfaces of the piece that are to be stickered are pushed on equally.
Yes, the last few just need to be popped into place. I've popped pieces in and I've been able to pop pieces out of an assempled puzzle too. To be honest I think its harder to take the pieces out then it is to get them in. But I've never broken anything in this process so I believe the pieces are more then strong enough to take it. If you want to take one apart though its MUCH easier to do before you've glued the corner caps in place. And if you use a very small amount of super glue it may still be easier to pop the caps off and remove a few screws if you ever want to disassemble the puzzle.
Brandon Enright wrote:
Then I snap all of the small edge-wings into place. These are pretty easy to do.
Yes this is easy and to be honest gives me a very satisifying feeling. They feel like they pop in with just the right amount of force. And these too are much easier to add then they are to remove once the puzzle is assembled and the caps glued in place.
Brandon Enright wrote:
You may find putting the corners into the core difficult. You almost certainly will find snapping the middle-edges very hard. If you soak all of the pieces in very hot water and assemble the pieces while hot it will become very easy to put together. I highly recommend you do this if you want to make things easy. If you don't want to potentially leach dye out of the parts then make yourself a "hair-blow-dryer-oven" to keep the temperature of the parts up for assembly. The closer the parts are to burning your hands the easier they'll be to snap in.
Yes this helps. But its certainly possible to assemble without heating the parts up. I didn't know about the hot water trick until I was putting my Bubbloid123 together. There the deepest edges are about 10 times harder to get in then they are on the Bibbloid122. I was popping them in by hand to test fit the puzzle before I even cleaned out the powered. After about 2 hours I only had about half of them in and my thumbs were very very sore. I contacted Brandon and he told me about the hot water trick and the remaining ones went in much easier. However during that first 2 hours I had given myself deep bruises on both thumb tips that weren't visible until the next day and it must have been 2 weeks before my thumbs started feeling like normal again. Trust me in comparison the Bubbloid122 is a piece of cake to assemble. But I was testing a worst case condition and it still was possible to assemble without breaking anything. In addition to hot water using polished parts also makes things easier. And if you ask nicely Brandon may be willing to tumble the parts for you. I know he's got a very big back log at the moment though so I'm not sure if he's accepting requests at the moment or not. But Brandon's tumbled parts also go together much easier then the raw non-polished SW&F parts from Shapeways. Brandon currently has my Bubbloid123, Bubbloid223, and Bubbloid233 puzzles for tumbling. After putting the first one together to test fit it I was going to spare my thumbs the pain of putting the later 2 together until after they were tumbled.
Brandon Enright wrote:
Corner caps will probably snap in. You will want to glue them down once you have the puzzle broken in and tensioned right.
Yes, the caps do sort of snap on but they wont stay for long unless they are glued down. I'd suggest using a minimial amount of glue though incase you ever wanted to get access to the screws again.

Hope this helps,
Carl

P.S. I should be able to make a video of the one I assemble this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am 

Yes, a video would be nice. Thanks for all of the tips Brandon and Carl!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Prep:
Make sure you get all of the powder out of the core.
I have an air compressor which I use for this purpose. Before that I would buy those cans of compressed air which are used for cleaning keyboards and the like.[/quote]Same here. The first one I used the compressor on I did in my kitchen sink. Big messy mistake. Do it outdoors.

wwwmwww wrote:
Brandon Enright wrote:
Assembly:The only pieces you have to worry about breaking are the corners.
I've never had one of these break, have you?
Yeah I've broken two feet. They were both my fault. I tried to snap the whole corner in rather than fineness it in. The good news is that the feet are totally superfluous once the screw is there holding the corner in.

wwwmwww wrote:
I do NOT add all the corners at the same time. I add two corners and then add the middle edge which goes between them. This can be added with basically zero force by sticking it to an open side of one of the corners and rotating it into position. I then keep adding coners and middle edges as I go. You can add about a half to two thirds of the middle edges this way. It varies from the Bubbloid122 to the Bubboid112 a little bit. But its much easier to get the middle edges in at this stage then it is to wait until all the corners are attached.

When I've assembled them fresh from Shapeways, untumbled this is what I've done. It does make getting the middle edges in a bit easier.

Once the puzzles are tumbled assembly is so easy it doesn't matter. I can assemble a tumbled one in 5 minutes or less.

wwwmwww wrote:
But I've never broken anything in this process so I believe the pieces are more then strong enough to take it.
Yeah other than the small feet on the corners, you pretty much can't break anything. When snapping in the middle edges you don't have to worry about breaking parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:35 pm 

See my update here.

Short version is my dying has been placed on hold for about 2 weeks so there will be a delay on this video. I did get the Bubbloid122 pieces cleaned and prepped for dying though and I have a video of that. There is nothing really exciting there though so I'll likely save it and add it to the beginning of the assembly video in a few weeks.

Carl