Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re-Mass Production?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 pm 

So there has been a few puzzles that have been sold and mass-produced in the past, and now they are no longer sold in large quantities. One example would be Tony Fisher's Golden Cube, which used to be mass produced and can no longer be purchased for a typical retail price (now they are sold on Ebay for prices far above a typical price range).

Normally, production for these puzzles stop because there is a decrease in demand. Some puzzles are brought back into production when demand increases, but there are still quite a few that remain rare and hard to find. So, I was wondering if there could be any way to bring these puzzles back into production. For a person like me who may not be able to afford these rare puzzles at the current moment, I have always wondered if any company or person would take the liberty to once again mass-produce these puzzles and sell them again (with the consent of the creator, of course).

And seeing that I don't know much about the marketing business for twisty puzzles, what do you guys think or know about bringing back old or rare puzzles? Is there even a way to 're-mass-produce' these fantastic puzzles?

Post subject: Re: Re-Mass Production?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:01 pm 

I think that a lot of people just don't have the money to buy cubes for over $100, myself included.
I mean, I could buy it, but I have to save up money and not buy anything at all for a couple of months to be able to afford a dogic, golden cube, or a shapeways puzzle.
But I'm already happy if I can buy a $25 dollar puzzle that I don't own yet, and I rather have a couple of cheap puzzles every other month than having to wait 6 months to buy 1 puzzle.

So I would love to see dogics re-invented so they would turn much better and then put back on the market, especially since the cubing community seems to grow larger and larger year after year, at least looking at youtube subscriber and forum member counts.

But I do feel that important people in the cubing world (sellers, designers) read these kind of forums, and regularly bring out puzzles that the majority of people in the community would love to see, so I think there's definitely a chance that these puzzles may some day will be available to us once again...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 pm 

1NSAN3 wrote:
But I do feel that important people in the cubing world (sellers, designers) read these kind of forums, and regularly bring out puzzles that the majority of people in the community would love to see

I don't think this forum is an accurate representation of the market for twisty puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:42 am 

I know the answer to these puzzles mentioned here. If you want to see them made again, find someone to place an order for 10,000 units. Uwe has told me he'll open the molds again for that quantity.

I think if you go to Tonys YouTube site he's got a video of Uwe talking about just this topic.