Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Calvins 3x3x5 Corner Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 pm 

I recieved Calvin’s 3x3x5 as a gift this past Christmas, but haven’t solved it yet because I keep on running into this problem where a corner will completely break off while it’s in its shape-shifted form. It has happened twice already to two separate corners, and I have fixed it both times with a strong plastic glue that I bought. Just recently, however, one of the corners I fixed broke again! I have not dropped or misused the puzzle by any means, nor have I handled it roughly. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if it is just me. I’m thinking about just buying a new one, but I want to get others' opinions first.

Post subject: Re: Calvins 3x3x5 Corner Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 pm 

One corner broke on one of my 3x3x5 variants after 2 minutes. I guess you just have to be careful. I've seen superantoniovivaldi's and crazybad's videos and they seem to have no problems with this series of puzzles, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the cuboid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm 

Yeah, I’ve seen their videos as well. It kinda stinks because I was really exited about this puzzle, but now I have to be extremely careful when I solve it which takes some of the fun out of it :/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm 

I don't know if you can get into the corner at all.. supposing you can, I would take some milliput and a paperclip.

Flatten the paperclip out, making it such a length that one end can stick in the stalk bit and the other in the corner. Glue the paperclip into the stalk and corner, and see if you can use some milliput to strengthen the dealie around the paperclip.

That is what I would try anyway, not a clue at all if that would work though.. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:16 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
I don't know if you can get into the corner at all.. supposing you can, I would take some milliput and a paperclip.

Flatten the paperclip out, making it such a length that one end can stick in the stalk bit and the other in the corner. Glue the paperclip into the stalk and corner, and see if you can use some milliput to strengthen the dealie around the paperclip.

That is what I would try anyway, not a clue at all if that would work though.. :?

Thanks for the suggestion, if I get motivated I may try something like that. Here’s a picture of the piece: Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:38 pm 

You just have to turn the puzzle carefully because it has very thin corner stalks. When it is shapeshifted, you have to grip the inner piece when turning or else you put too much strain on that stalk, making it weaker, thus breaking it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm 

Ouch.. that is one thinnie corner stalk alright.. brr.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm 

I had a corner break months ago when I let someone play with the puzzle. Calvin was of course the gentleman that he always is and sent me a replacement part