Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Can you solve a 3x3 Rubik's Cube?
A Rubik's what? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I know what it is, but have never tried it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I can solve one side only. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I can solve two sides. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I can solve the cube but I need time. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I can solve the cube within 10 minutes. 96%  96%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject: Rubik Survey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:51 am 

They are currently running this very survey here at work. Here are their current results.

Attachment:
Rubik.PNG
Rubik.PNG [ 7.18 KiB | Viewed 878 times ]

Enjoy,
Carl

P.S. I expect VERY different results here. And some notes:

(1) Does 8% of the adult population really not know what a Rubik's Cube is?
(2) Why do many call it a 3x3 Rubik's cube.... when its a 3x3x3? To me a 3x3 would be a Floppy Cube.
(3) I'm glad my employer didn't include the option... I can only solve 5 sides. That would have been too funny.

Post subject: Re: Rubik Survey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:21 am 

I guess it's called 3x3 because it's more convenient than 3x3x3 and saying 3 cube is strange.

This survey may not represent all of humanity. So I guess 8% is not the true value. (Hopefully it's less :lol: )

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:46 am 

Sadly, the people who say "I can solve it but I need time" are usually full of crap. See my previous topic about dumb things non-cubers say.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
This survey may not represent all of humanity. So I guess 8% is not the true value. (Hopefully it's less :lol: )
I work for Intel. We are world wide company and I believe this survery is open at all sites. At least you need to be an Intel employee to have access to the web site this survey is posted on. So this survey I'd expect to be biased toward adults and it may be fair to say its biased toward adults in unban areas. I also think most Intel employees have some education beyond high school so this may be biased toward the more educated, though that doesn't mean they are smarter. LOL. If anything I would have expected this population to have a higher familiarity with the Rubik's Cube then "all of humanity" as that would include kids that may not have come across one yet and people in very rural areas that again may not have been exposed to one.

It's just 8% seems VERY high to me. I suspect the % of people that would simply pick a random answer for an employer's survey of this nature may be in that ball park. Most of the survey's they post to this site aren't that serious. Here is another example.
Attachment:
Q2.PNG
Q2.PNG [ 10.55 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 pm 

Even I knew what a Rubik's Cube was by the time I was 5 or 6! And I lived in a suburb at the far end away from downtown. Then again, it probably helps that my kindergarten teacher had one sitting on her desk for any one of us to try and solve. It had been there since 1987 or 1988 (I forgot which), and only one kid's parent had solved it. In fourth grade, when I first learned how, I went back into her room and solved it after class one day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:25 pm 

themathkid wrote:
Sadly, the people who say "I can solve it but I need time" are usually full of crap. See my previous topic about dumb things non-cubers say.

That's me up there under "I can solve it but I need time". I used corners first then I every middle column, equator and slice. I did only 1 algorithm and for the life of me I don't know how to do it. It look like two pieces that on the same face were in the same middle column, equator and slice or however you want to put it. I just had to orientate(right word? bad speller) the edges right. I'm a collector not speed solver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:07 am 

I thought about choosing the first option, but everyone would know that it would be a joke because everyone on this forum knows what a :solved: is. I think that the option about solving it but needing time should also include "and a tutorial" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 am 

Ignoring the fact I can no longer see well enough to distinguish sticker colors reliably, I can solve the top layer consistently in a minute or two, and I have on occasion managed to solve the second layer. Even with a tutorial, I have never managed to fully solve a cube(I always screw up on executing the move sequences for orienting/permutating pieces of the bottom layer. Not sure which poll option I should pick though, since "solving 1 side" in layman's terms is not the same as "solving 1 layer" in puzzle par lance.

Also, what is in the posted images(I get the impression their content is of a textual nature, but my screen reader lacks any sort of OCR capability0).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:43 pm 

I really wanted to say that I've met adults, a large amount at that, that have never heard of a "Rubik's Cube". It's really strange to me, but I don't judge.

I was going to say that I wanted to pick the first option just for humor, but I didn't want to throw off the poll.

wwwmwww wrote:
I work for Intel.
Like this Intel?
Attachment:
intel-logo.jpg
intel-logo.jpg [ 69.27 KiB | Viewed 657 times ]
Or another one I'm probably not thinking of right now? (Can thin of a few more companies, but not REALLY known ones)

And real quick, if it's that Intel, what is the most problematic chipset you've ever seen? I had a really bad set, but can't remember which model it was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm 

Attachment:
Rubik2.PNG
Rubik2.PNG [ 9.35 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]

They've now moved on to a new survey at work so I believe these are the final numbers from the Rubik's survey.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Ignoring the fact I can no longer see well enough to distinguish sticker colors reliably, I can solve the top layer consistently in a minute or two, and I have on occasion managed to solve the second layer. Even with a tutorial, I have never managed to fully solve a cube(I always screw up on executing the move sequences for orienting/permutating pieces of the bottom layer. Not sure which poll option I should pick though, since "solving 1 side" in layman's terms is not the same as "solving 1 layer" in puzzle par lance.
Understood. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply to my thread. The survey is a copy of the one that was posted at work which I suspect was written by someone with far less experience with the cube then anyone here. To me personally the top face isn't solved until the whole top layer is solved. If that helps you pick a response. Personally this was really me just wanting to share the results of the survey from work. I knew the responses here would be totally different and they have been. 30 of 32 to respond so far can solve the cube in under 10 minutes.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Also, what is in the posted images(I get the impression their content is of a textual nature, but my screen reader lacks any sort of OCR capability0).
Yes... its text. Its the results of the survey at work. Here are the final results:

9046 people (Intel employees) voted:

8.11% said "A Rubik's what?"
21.36% said "I know what it is, but have never tried it"
20.88% said "I can solve one side only"
16.64% said "I can solve two sides"
22.96% said "I can solve the cube but I need time"
10.05% said "I can solve the cube within 10 minutes"

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:42 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
And real quick, if it's that Intel, what is the most problematic chipset you've ever seen?
Yes. It is that Intel. As for your chipset question... I'm not really the best one to answer. I'm an epitaxy process engineer so I own one tool set/process out of 100's in the manufacturing process. I'm focused on one small piece of the pie and I rarely have to have to step back and look at the final chipset picture. That and I've just been with Intel a little over a year.

I once had a conversation with Oskar about what it is I do. The best analogy is that I'm a cook. I have a recipe that I run on my tool/oven and I have control over the ingredients/temperature/time/pressure/etc in that recipe. The goal of my recipe is to grow an epitaxial film in certain areas on a wafer where the final thickness, resistivity, and particle levels are well controlled. The biggest difference between me and a cook is the cost of the oven and the value of the product going through it. My oven (called an epi reactor) is several million dollars and I don't even want to think about the value of the product going through them in a single day. I could probably calculate it but I couldn't share it even if I did.

Carl