Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Amazon Prime Air
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:37 pm 

Amazon announces its new drone delivery service, and demonstrates it by delivering a puzzle to Tony Fisher - or somebody who looks very much like him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU

Post subject: Re: Amazon Prime Air
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:43 pm 

I'd like to see a rough order of magnitude estimate of energy expenditure for delivering all Amazon packages by air versus traditional shipping. My guess is that the (energy) economies of scale you don't get with a small helicopter make the per-package energy costs significantly higher.

As a huge customer of Amazon (150 - 250 orders per year) I'd love to get my packages faster. I suspect though that the overall cost to me + Amazon + society is so much higher it outweighs the benefits of fast delivery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:48 pm 

I suspect it would be more useful for delivering urgent one-off packages through (over) heavy traffic, or to remote places where there are no other deliveries nearby, i.e., replacing motorcycle couriers rather than big delivery vans, in which case it would actually be more economical and ecofriendly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:50 pm 

In an interview yesterday, the CEO said that it might be ready in 2016. This also is limited to less than 5 pound packages because the drones are small. Also, what happens if there's bad weather, or a dog in the yard? Riddle me that! Also, I don't see the resemblance to Tony Fisher in that video. It's somewhat close, but not close enough for me to think that without your mention of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 pm 

Ignoring energy costs I still don't see this ever happening. The liability costs to Amazon just see too high. If this crashes over a highway and causes an accident or say it flies into a young child playing in the front lawn. It just seems like a legal nightmare.

There is an idea I've had that is similar to this but likely even more impractical. Have you ever been to a drive through bank where they zip containers around about this size in a vacuum tube system? If you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about I just found one on eBay, here. Anyways we already have water lines, sewer lines, and electric lines running to our homes. If this service were deemed that important just image everyone having one of these vacuum tubes running into their home. With the right control systems in place one could address a package to anyone else and we'd all be able to use it... not just Amazon. And it wouldn't have to be shipped to within some fixed radius of your home if the whole country was connected this way. Say I want Brandon to solve my Bubbloid122 puzzle for me. Just put it in one of these:
Attachment:
tube.jpg
tube.jpg [ 236.05 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]
Type in Brandon's address and hit send and a few hours later it could pop up in his living room. He could solve it and then send it back to me the same way. It will never happen but then again I don't see Amazon using flying drones either.

But I'd be happy to see them prove me wrong,
Carl

P.S. What I think is more likely to happen eventually is everyone will have a very sophisticated 3D printer in their home. Someone then orders a small part (like the one shown in the video) and it just get fabricated there in your home in the 3D printer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:09 pm 

Why fly/drive/walk from A to B, when you can just 3D print a copy of yourself at B, and burn the original at A? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Why fly/drive/walk from A to B, when you can just 3D print a copy of yourself at B, and burn the original at A? :shock:

Because your copy would have to go to A to burn the original! :lol: But if that technology ever happens, I will amass an army of clones and take over the world! Hahahahahahahahahahaha! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 pm 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
KelvinS wrote:

Because your copy would have to go to A to burn the original! :lol:

Something tells me that survival instincts of the original would be the main barrier. Ever seen The Prestige?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
You'll want to read my post here. That is a whole other can of worms.

Carl