Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x3x3 with Baby Face circles - why not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 pm 

I watch in the hknowstore web this family of puzzles:

and I ask me why they don´t sell the super 3x3x3?

The 3x3x3 puzzle where the circle turn independient. (no crazy puzzles)

Probably they think there are other similar puzzles made by mf8 (crazy3x3x3 planets) or super3x3x3 by witeden.

Please Calvin make me happy and sell in your website the first circle 3x3x3. ¡¡¡¡¡¡

Post subject: Re: super 3x3x3 puzzle. why not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:10 pm 

juanan wrote:
The 3x3x3 puzzle where the circle turn independient. (no crazy puzzles)
By independent, I assume you mean the circle is fixed relative to the core. That is the normal 3x3x3 circle cube.
juanan wrote:
Please Calvin make me happy and sell in your website the first circle 3x3x3. ¡¡¡¡¡¡
I'll second that request. I have the normal circle dodecahedron and the normal circle tetrahedron both in colored plastic without the need for stickers. I've been waiting on the normal circle 3x3x3 to be released in the same format and I don't believe it has been yet... or if it was I missed it.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:25 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
By independent, I assume you mean the circle is fixed relative to the core. That is the normal 3x3x3 circle cube.

He means the circle can turn on it's own without the collar moving. Basically a babyface, or what Burgo would call a 5-face. This is very different from a circle cube [though not much more difficult].

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Last edited by themathkid on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 pm 

Carl . independient for me mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAnQ-UanT5I

never sold before in a 3x3x3 puzzle?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 pm 

You mean this?

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16341&start=0&hilit=circle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:38 pm 

yes this is the concept.

but now without the key, and probably mass produced

now only 2 mass produced puzzles can turn like this

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm 

juanan wrote:

Understood.... but that is NOT the first Circle 3x3x3 which also isn't crazy. This is something akin to what is typically called baby faces.

Still I'd be very interested in a Normal (fixed face center) Circle 3x3x3 Cube to go with my Dodecahedron and Tetrahedron.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
juanan wrote:

Understood.... but that is NOT the first Circle 3x3x3 which also isn't crazy. This is something akin to what is typically called baby faces.

Carl

mass procuded? No, I´m sure about that

all the circle 3x3x3 are 0 or 1, turn. Not free turn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm 

juanan wrote:
mass procuded? No, I´m sure about that

all the circle 3x3x3 are 0 or 1, turn. Not free turn
Not certain I understand the question but we are talking about different puzzles. Look at this:

The puzzle I want would have all 6 faces of type zero. And yes I believe it has been produced... but the only ones I'm aware of which have been available to the general public have been in all black or white and required stickers. I want one made in the colored plastic that doesn't require stickers so that it matches my current Circle Dodedahedron and Circle Tetrahedron puzzles. Those have been made and I've seen pictures of kits which would allow you to make your own. However I have not seen those puzzles or those kits offered for sale to the general public yet. I could buy several of the Crazy Plus puzzles and take them apart to get the parts I need to make my own but I haven't been so inclided to do that yet myself.

The puzzle you want would have "free" circles and I'm not certain what it would be called. A Circle Babyface 3x3x3 maybe?

The Normal Circle 3x3x3 has all type 0 faces and this is the first type of circle cube ever made and shown here in the forums. This may be the first shown back in 2008.
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11600

If you start making some of the circles turn with the faces that is where the terms Crazy and Plus came into the picture. Though I think if you don't say Plus then a Crazy 3x3x3 and a Circle 3x3x3 may be the same puzzle. I think I've seen some of these which have been modded to allow the circles to be free to turn on their own but I'm not aware of what the current name is for this puzzle at the moment. But its not the Normal Circle 3x3x3.

Carl

P.S. Here are some links:
The tread I started when I got my Normal Circle Megaminx
Here is where you can buy the Normal Circle Megaminx
I don't see an entry for the Normal Circle Megaminx in the museum. Maybe I missed it.
Here is where you can buy the Normal Circle Tetrahedron
And the Normal Circle Tetrahedron's entry in the museum

Where is the Normal Circle Cube which matches these? I want one.

And while I'm at it... what ever happened to the Circle Octahedrons? They were first shown in 2011 and I don't think they have come out yet. I want a Normal Circle version in colored plastic. Please...

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 pm 

Ok I understand you. You can make you a crazy 333 _ with all the faces 0. Changing a center piece of 1 by a center piece of 0. It,s easy belive me-

About me .. i,m looking for a babyface crazy 333 by calvin :(
Really is the same puzzle than the cross-cube butI like it.

Last edited by juanan on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:45 pm 

Juanan, from the solution point of view, the puzzle you are requesting is identical to the Cross Cube (a little bit more trivial, though):
It is not a big challenge (an OK puzzle, though).

As Carl has explained above, this has nothing to do with a Circle Cube.
A regular Circle Cube (all 0 faces = stationary circles) solves like a 3x3x3 Super Cube.
I have got a mass-produced one from Meffert's.

The circles on the one you are asking for solve like centres on a 5x5x5. (On the Cross Cube you have at least orientation of the Baby Face pieces.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:57 pm 

Konrad. Thanks

I now that it is the same puzzle.

But I prefer the 333circle than others shapes stickerless selling now in hknowstore.

Last edited by juanan on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:58 pm 

juanan wrote:
Ok I understand you. You can make you a crazy 333 _ with all the faces 0. Changing a center piece of 1 by a center piece of 0. It,s easy belive me-
Oh I know it would be easy to make one. It just sort or irks me that I'd have to buy two puzzles to make the one I want. If the Dodecahedron and Tetrahedron can be offered this way I would expect the cube to come along sooner or latter.
Konrad wrote:
A regular Circle Cube (all 0 faces = stationary circles) solves like a 3x3x3 Super Cube.
Interesting... was the one Meffert offered in colored plastic? Or was it black or white with stickers?

There was an all red version once that I was aware of. Not sure if its still available or not. But I'm trying to hold out for the 6 colored plastic version.

Carl

Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 with Baby Face circles - why not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Konrad wrote:
Interesting... was the one Meffert offered in colored plastic? Or was it black or white with stickers?

There was an all red version once that I was aware of. Not sure if its still available or not. But I'm trying to hold out for the 6 colored plastic version.

Carl
It is the red version. I got it from Meffert's mid 2011:
I think that Dayan tried to avoid any conflict with Aleh who made it first.
I do not believe that we will ever see one in coloured plastic. (Even the Crazy Planets are no longer available in coloured plastic. :( People had complained a lot that they would prefer black with stickers. I guess that the complaining people very rarely played with one.)

Juanan, would you mind if we change the title of this topic to "3x3x3 with Baby Face circles"?
"super 3x3x3" is misleading somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:50 am 

I got a yellow one from SmaZ, actually it came with 6x 1face centres too, so I could make all planets from it.

Incidentally, the coloured plastic Crazy Planets weren't just a different colour, they were from different molds, and in my opinion they turn much better than the newer black ones, and the new black ones have a problem where illegal moves can be made by twisting the Inner Components independently by force.

Attachments:
Circle 333.jpg
Circle 333.jpg [ 376.19 KiB | Viewed 973 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:01 am 

yes Konrad

better this title.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 am 

The 5face was a feature of the original CrazyB4cube, I believe it was the first one presented, and it will be possible to make the `6x 5faces puzzle` from the new CrazyB4cube kit.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 am 

Konrad wrote:
It is the red version. I got it from Meffert's mid 2011:
I think that Dayan tried to avoid any conflict with Aleh who made it first.
I had wondered that at the time myself. But to my knowledge Aleh never voiced any objection. Dayan may have just chosen to error on the safe side and if so I certainly can't fault him for that.
Konrad wrote:
I do not believe that we will ever see one in coloured plastic. (Even the Crazy Planets are no longer available in coloured plastic. :( People had complained a lot that they would prefer black with stickers. I guess that the complaining people very rarely played with one.)
Well if that is the case... does anyone have two of the Crazy Planet puzzles they'd be willing to sell? They must be two which would allow the Normal Circle 3x3x3 to be made. If so PM me... Another reason I had been avoiding the Crazy Planet versions is I view them as subsets of the Uniaxial puzzles and I have plans to make the Super Set of all 8 versions. I've already got 2 of them covered.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/465198/deep-uniaxial-3x3x3.html
http://www.shapeways.com/model/532894/mercury-uniaxial-3x3x3.html
Konrad wrote:
Juanan, would you mind if we change the title of this topic to "3x3x3 with Baby Face circles"?
"super 3x3x3" is misleading somehow.
Hmmm... yes it's Juanan's thread but as long as the term Super 3x3x3 was in the title I could argue my posts were on topic. Should we split this into two threads? Or is it OK to keep this thread as a plea for both puzzles?
Burgo wrote:
I got a yellow one from SmaZ, actually it came with 6x 1face centres too, so I could make all planets from it.
NICE!!! I had long held out hope for this kit:
Attachment:
CrazyKit.jpg
CrazyKit.jpg [ 172.24 KiB | Viewed 900 times ]

I would have bought that in a heart beat.
Burgo wrote:
Incidentally, the coloured plastic Crazy Planets weren't just a different colour, they were from different molds, and in my opinion they turn much better than the newer black ones, and the new black ones have a problem where illegal moves can be made by twisting the Inner Components independently by force.
Interesting... I didn't know that. So I guess I really should get on the ball and hunt down a couple of the colored crazy planet puzzles. If anyone is willing to help me on that front PLEASE pm me.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:50 am 

Burgo wrote:
The 5face was a feature of the original CrazyB4cube, I believe it was the first one presented, and it will be possible to make the `6x 5faces puzzle` from the new CrazyB4cube kit.
CrazyB4cube? I went to look that up and I found this post:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25893
WOW!!! I must find the time to read that thread. I think I had missed it the first time around. Is that a puzzle targeted for mass production or something on Shapeways? That is probably answered in the other thread... but I want one.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
WOW!!! I must find the time to read that thread. I think I had missed it the first time around. Is that a puzzle targeted for mass production or something on Shapeways? That is probably answered in the other thread... but I want one.

If by "targeted" you mean "highly desired by the community" then yes. Otherwise, I doubt we will ever see a mass produced kit with all the center types [10+ last I remember]. Mf8 doesn't seem to like kits anyways. They'd much rather you buy multiple planet puzzles. On the other hand, Mf8 recently put out two new circle puzzles [here and here]. These two together can make the bulk of the puzzles possible with the CrazyB4Kit [everything with combinations of original 4 face types]. There was some speculation after its release that the puzzles were meant to capitalize on Burgo's idea / kit, but I think the timing is just coincidence.

Regarding Shapeways, it's not a 3D printed puzzle. The parts were all Frankenstein'd from Mf8 products. In addition, the original kit contained hand-modded centers types. For the expansion kit / 2nd batch of kits Burgo is working with TomZ to produce 3D models of some of his new center types and print them through Shapeways, but this is more to save time over hand modding.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:42 pm 

It wasn’t my intention to make this thread an advertisement for the kits. I just wanted to let people know that the Babyface Circle Cube or CB4(RC) 5f-RBWGYO puzzle is part of a more comprehensive kit that is already, and currently, being offered. You can tell that it was within my intentions because there would be no other reason to make `all 6x 5face centres` otherwise, so in that sense at least, it is within the scope of this thread.

I completely understand that it might not be obvious that this is the case because there are so many variants within my kit, so it’s a good opportunity to let people know. I also know that Juanan is asking for a standalone puzzle, and I want to let it be known that I have no objection to Calvin making this, and he probably will I think, anyway, I mean, why not?

I’ll answer some of the other things in my marketplace thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25902&start=50

And Carl, thanks for your interest, I absolutely love your Multi Gear Cube kit here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26250
Maybe we can come to some kind of arrangement :) , I’ll send you a PM!

Cheers,
Burgo.