Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ignite TwistyPuzzle presentation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 am 

At work we had an Ignite event organized by a co-worker.
I had thought to do something on puzzles but was a bit busy and never got around to doing any preparation.
The day before the event a number of people had dropped out and my co-worker asked if I could step in.

So with only a few hours to prepare I though I should look to those who have done some great talks and of course Oskar's IPP31 talk came to mind (here). I sent him an email asking for permission knowing I wouldn't read his reply until morning, then set about thinking how to fit that talk into the Ignite format.

For those who didn't click the link above, the Ignite format is a lecture lasting 5 minutes, with 20 slides auto-advancing every 15 seconds. It became clear I'd never fit even a thimble full of Oskar's hour long content into this format. It was getting late but by 2:00am I had something decent that I thought I could get through in the timeframe. So while I didn't use Oskar's presentation I did get some good ideas from it.

There are a few slides (deep cut, jumbling) where of course it was hopeless, but in general I kept to time and it was well received.

I may at some point get the video and may, if it isn't too embarrassing, be able to post a link to it as well.

Enjoy,

Dave

Attachments:
File comment: Ignite slides in pdf format
TwistyPuzzles.pdf [2.08 MiB]
Downloaded 77 times

Post subject: Re: Ignite TwistyPuzzle presentation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 am 

Very cool. You're slides are fantastic! If somebody asked me to give a 5 minute presentation on twisty puzzles to laypeople I'd probably think it was hopeless. You've done a great job with a general overview without getting too deep into any one subject.

I find it a bit entertaining that the Chopasaurus on slide 15 looks like it's the same size as the rest.

I'm glad one of my images made it in :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:50 am 

Very cool!

Speaking of twisty-puzzle presentations -- I'm giving a talk at a conference this weekend on the investigations I made into whether Gizmo Gears jumbles, and more generally, fractal and quasicrystal behavior in unbandaged circle puzzles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:41 am 

Very well done! :D :D
I'm looking forward to your video.

This reminds we of several talks (speaking about compatibility of UNIX systems) where I used Rubik's cubes (especially 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5 and a 3x3x3 Siamese Cube) as an introduction back in 1983.
These talks were a great success, especially because my introduction created a good atmosphere and I got some laughter., The 3x3x3 hype was on, but the other variants were a surprise to most people.
I used it later for different introductions and it was always a success. (Later it had the aspect of nostalgia :wink: for the audience.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm 

I finally got around to looking at the slides. Very well done. Given your time restraints, I don't see how the slides could be improved.

-d