Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does lacquer help protect stickers?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:00 am 

I play my puzzles roughly, and my stickers chip all the time. It gets very distracting when I have to clip off the chipped area every time, I'm pretty sure you're all familiar with this. I've heard that spraying shellac would help but I only have lacquer available. Has anyone tried using these? Does this work just as well, or will it only destroy vinyl stickers? Or will it be useless in protecting stickers?

Post subject: Re: Does lacquer help protect stickers?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:19 am 

I did a bit of experimentation with it with the 2f/B4kit. The idea was a dual function.. to protect the small stickers that are notorious for coming off, and ,to protect the permanent marker signatures from rubbing off, another notorious problem with signed puzzles. I spent a lot of time hand cutting stickers, and after you do that, the last thing you want is 2 weeks later they all get dog eared and fall off.

I ended up going with a clear oil based exterior decking varnish, apparently it's got high abrasion resistance and high UV protection (nano technology) and ultra gloss finish. Maybe it will help the stickers colours from fading too?

I thought it would be better than clear paint, and it held up well in testing, we'll see how it goes long term. If it fails, the stickers will still be able to be removed with a stencil knife, a light sanding and polish to the surface and resticker.

I had to brush it on the pieces individually to get the best finish, so it was time consuming.

Maybe people who got kits might comment on the finish? And later the durability.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:34 am 

On the whole my puzzle is holding up very well (B4/2face DIY kit that Burgo made). My palms get easily clammy and I have had this puzzle in my hands for about 2 hours per day for 6 days I have one green inner corner that has a bit of peeling but I am hopeful that when that comes off the varnish will keep the rest of that sticker intact I may even take a knife to it to prevent any pulling.

Recommended, Burgo?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 am 

It might just have a little sharpness because I had to paint it on thin to prevent runs. If the pieces weren't such odd shapes, and if I didn't have to do so many, I might have ideally tried to get everything `flat` to dry.. that would allow the paint to be put on a little thicker, and make the transition onto the sticker edge `smoother`. If there's a pointier bit, that's what it would have `all` been like without varnish. You might be able to take the `sharpness` off of the corner of the odd piece with a very sharp scalpel carefully? Another option would be to give it a second coat.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:26 am 

I tried with clear nail polish once (probably acrylic-based) and at first it seemed like good protection but the nail polish started to flake off and pieces got into the puzzle which ended up making something of a mess.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:41 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
I tried with clear nail polish once (probably acrylic-based) and at first it seemed like good protection but the nail polish started to flake off and pieces got into the puzzle which ended up making something of a mess.

I was going to mention that I use clear nail polish, but you beat me to it. I actually haven't had any issues using this. Maybe it's a different kind that I've used or maybe I just don't play with my puzzles as often. One of the puzzles I use every day is my custom sticker calendar cube. There are some really small stickers and they are holding up great with the clear nail polish.

-d