Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Bubbloid Prism
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:46 pm 

The rule for a puzzle to have mutiple axes is that all adjacent axes must go through the same point. It's hard to come up with geometries which can do this, which has lead to there being few variants on the Bubbloid Cube, but there's a closely related one which I'm not aware of having been tried yet. Specificaly, the Jumble Prism could be given the Bubbloid treatment - http://www.shapeways.com/model/397623/j ... terialId=6

The idea here is that the puzzle is made slightly taller, which results in the square faces becoming rectangular in very much the same way the Bubbloid Cube does. The simplest number of overlaps, aside from 1 everywhere as in the Jumble Prism, is for the short axes to have an overlap of 2 and the longer ones an overlap of 1, which would make it similar to the Bubbloid 122, although some position flips become possible because of the 3-cycle.

I think it would be even more interesting to make the equivalent of the 233. Has that even been made in box version yet?

Post subject: Re: The Bubbloid Prism
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

Bram wrote:
The rule for a puzzle to have mutiple axes is that all adjacent axes must go through the same point. It's hard to come up with geometries which can do this, which has lead to there being few variants on the Bubbloid Cube
There is this variant that hasn't been made yet"
Attachment:
Offset-axis Cuboctahedron v1a - view 1.jpg
Offset-axis Cuboctahedron v1a - view 1.jpg [ 130.9 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

Bram wrote:
but there's a closely related one which I'm not aware of having been tried yet. Specificaly, the Jumble Prism could be given the Bubbloid treatment - http://www.shapeways.com/model/397623/j ... terialId=6

The idea here is that the puzzle is made slightly taller, which results in the square faces becoming rectangular in very much the same way the Bubbloid Cube does. The simplest number of overlaps, aside from 1 everywhere as in the Jumble Prism, is for the short axes to have an overlap of 2 and the longer ones an overlap of 1, which would make it similar to the Bubbloid 122, although some position flips become possible because of the 3-cycle.
<SNIP>Lots of sleep deprived ramblings which didn't make any sense<\SNIP>
Bram wrote:
I think it would be even more interesting to make the equivalent of the 233. Has that even been made in box version yet?
No... but I have plans to change that in the very near future. I'll probably make this one first and that will have me 99% of the way there.

Carl

P.S. I just realized that none of these puzzles would be doctrinaire and that the only one possible may be the one Bram described. Hmmm... a jumbling Bubbloid puzzle. I'm having a hard time picturing even the one Bram described at the moment.

If we call the Puzzle Bram describes "i.e. the puzzle is made slightly taller" the Jumbloid12 is the Jumbloid21 possible, where the puzzle is made slightly shorter?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:08 am 

Bram,

Bubbloid Prism doesn't need to be multiple-origin. Imagine the six vertices of a triangular prism on the surface of the sphere. Now let theses points float over the sphere, such that the triangle becomes a bit smaller (or larger) and the square becomes rectangular.
wwwmwww wrote:
There is this variant that hasn't been made yet
This is one example where we have bubbloiding and still a single origin.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:04 am 

Oskar wrote:
Bubbloid Prism doesn't need to be multiple-origin. Imagine the six vertices of a triangular prism on the surface of the sphere. Now let theses points float over the sphere, such that the triangle becomes a bit smaller (or larger) and the square becomes rectangular.

I don't think that works. In order for all the edge pieces to be able to interchange, it's necessary that the angles all be the same, and if you keep the origin in one place for this example the angles will be different, resulting in less freedom of motion of the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:28 pm 

Bram wrote:
I don't think that works.
Sure that works. Look at Bubble Block. It is a single-origin jumbling bubbloid where all "edges" are interchangable.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Bram wrote:
I don't think that works.
Sure that works. Look at Bubble Block. It is a single-origin jumbling bubbloid where all "edges" are interchangable.

Doesn't that puzzle require some fudging? I think in the case of the bubbloid prism, if you make the axes non-intersecting it requires no fudging at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:37 pm 

Bram wrote:
Doesn't that puzzle require some fudging? I think in the case of the bubbloid prism, if you make the axes non-intersecting it requires no fudging at all.
No. The only fudging in Bubble Block are the little triangular "corners". All the "edges" interchangable and not fudged.

Oskar