Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: IPP33
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:33 am 

mixer wrote:
Maybe Rox or Oskar can illuminate on the questions about top-ten and the removal of Tri-Triangle and RevolvIQa (the latter for a probably quite obvious reason, see quote).
Tri-Triangle is essentially the same as the TRRT puzzle by Mineyuki Uyematsu(MINE), produced last year. RevolvIQa is the same as Game with Balls by Pavel Mantashyan (Russia) from a 1985 patent, as highlighted by Alexey.

Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 am 

Thank you Oskar for illuminating.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 am 

Thanks guys for clearing things up. I must have been seen that Ladder in my sleep!
Also, good to know that copies are not tolerated, especially in the land of the... Puzzle Ninja!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:30 am 

Oskar wrote:
Tri-Triangle is essentially the same as the TRRT puzzle by Mineyuki Uyematsu(MINE), produced last year.
Could you provide a link or a picture of the TRRT puzzle? I googled it and didn't find anything which looked like the Tri-Triangle. The Tri-Triangle is one of the few puzzles I didn't play with at IPP so I'm not familiar with its solution. So I'm guessing from "essentially the same" that the two may look very different and that they just share the same solution. I'm both curious about the TRRT puzzle and the definition of "essentially the same" that is being used here.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:39 am 

Here is the information for TRRT that I received from MINE. Unfortunately I did not get this until after the results were announced. The mechanism works for any right triangle as the base. Tri-Triangle used 3-4-5.

In addition to new designs, our rules also allow "an inventive application of a known principle". This clearly did not apply in either case. I should add that in both cases, I'm reasonably convinced that the submitting designers honestly came up with the designs on their own. In the case of RevolvIQa, I'm told that the Hungarian designer actual did a patent search, finding nothing.

Regards,
Nick

Attachments:
TRRT.jpg
TRRT.jpg [ 251.27 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:48 pm 

My puzzles were returned a few days ago with the awards- 2013 Design Competition Trophy by Yavuz Demirhan made by Tom Lensch plus a pin. Thanks Nick and all those who made the event happen.