Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Witeden Super Puzzles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:00 pm 

Can anyone explain the difference between all these puzzles? Apart from the different number of layers a lot of the versions look the same and there seems to be no difference between the I and II versions. Also, if you have them, what are they look for a solve? Difficult? Easy? Worth the money? Thanks. :)

Super 3x3x5 I [algorithm 00]
Super 3x3x5 II [algorithm 01]

Super 3x3x6 I
Super 3x3x6 II

Super 3x3x7 I [algorithm 00]
Super 3x3x7 II [algorithm 01]

Super 3x3x8 I
Super 3x3x8 II

Post subject: Re: Witeden Super Puzzles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 pm 

I'm curious too, which is why I have a batch of '00' algorithm 3x3x5 and 3x3x7 heading my way from WitEden HQ... 8-)

On the '00' algorithm models, the centre circle remains fixed when the U layer is turned, where on the '01' algorithm models, the centre circle moves with the U layer turns.

Notice that the 3x3x5 is symmetrical with two narrow layers above and below the normal-height E-layer, while the 3x3x6 has a different number of narrow layers above (2) and below (3) the E-layer. The 3x3x5 and 3x3x6 also have perpendicular 3-layer edges on the E-layer, which means that they may (?) be able to scramble with the U and D layers once they get up there! But they will be taller than the U and D layers on the 3x3x5! :shock:

The the 3x3x7s and 3x3x8s don't have the normal-height E-layer, just a bunch of narrow layers. They also don't have the perpendicular E-layer edges. The 3x3x7s are especially interesting to me because I have the C4U 3x3x7 and it has a normal-height E-layer between 3 and 3 narrow layers.

Which means they are all different and you really should have them all to be fair :D.

I especially value these types of puzzles as they fit easily in my jacket pocket and I can pick them up and put them down with little loss of progress.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Hi Rline,

I assume that this question is in response to the one I asked on your site about the C4U 3x3x6. I have the 3x3x5, 3x3x7 and 3x3x8 in both types I and II but cannot talk for the 3x3x6's.

The type I differs from II in that one has a single centre circle that is fixed (doesn't turn with the face) whilst the opposite side turns with the face. In the other type both circles are fixed. Whilst it sounds like it wouldn't make much difference, there is actually a fairly substantial change in the solve process for them.

I was rather skeptical about the 3x3x5 versus the 3x3x7 - I thought they would be very similar solve process - both being odd order puzzles. I bought the 3x3x5s after a quick glimpse at the SuperantonioVivaldi videos and interestingly they solve very differently with the 3x3x5s being more like a regular cube (with some obvious differences).

The 3x3x8 is a very odd puzzle - it is a 3x3x7 with an extra layer tacked on. This means that it turns eccentrically and you end up with a rather asymmetric shape with a protruberant layer which turns independently! This is a very enjoyable puzzle to solve.

Would I advise buying ALL of these? Absolutely! They are pretty reasonably priced, have the usual Witeden quality and all solve differently - there you go, an instant extra 6 puzzles which you MUST buy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm 

Quote:
I assume that this question is in response to the one I asked on your site about the C4U 3x3x6.

Only partially. Your question got me thinking.

Quote:
I was rather skeptical about the 3x3x5 versus the 3x3x7 - I thought they would be very similar solve process - both being odd order puzzles. I bought the 3x3x5s after a quick glimpse at the SuperantonioVivaldi videos and interestingly they solve very differently with the 3x3x5s being more like a regular cube (with some obvious differences).

The 3x3x8 is a very odd puzzle - it is a 3x3x7 with an extra layer tacked on. This means that it turns eccentrically and you end up with a rather asymmetric shape with a protruberant layer which turns independently! This is a very enjoyable puzzle to solve.

All of this is very helpful. Thanks. :)

Quote:
Would I advise buying ALL of these? Absolutely! They are pretty reasonably priced, have the usual Witeden quality and all solve differently - there you go, an instant extra 6 puzzles which you MUST buy!

<sarcasm>Great. Thanks! (More money gone...)</sarcasm>

Quote:
The the 3x3x7s and 3x3x8s don't have the normal-height E-layer, just a bunch of narrow layers. They also don't have the perpendicular E-layer edges. The 3x3x7s are especially interesting to me because I have the C4U 3x3x7 and it has a normal-height E-layer between 3 and 3 narrow layers.

Which means they are all different and you really should have them all to be fair :D.

And Pete, thanks for this as well. Again, very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Wow, I missed this detail about the 3x3x8, thanks for the description! While the 3x3x6 wears it's asymmetric property on it's face, the 3x3x8 seems to hide it until it is time to start turning things. Still, I wonder if the 3x3x6 and 3x3x8 puzzles exhibit the same protuberant qualities due to that extra layer or are they two different things?

I guess Calvin and his colleagues won't be getting a break from shipping puzzles to Canada after all... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:30 am 

Quote:
On the '00' algorithm models, the centre circle remains fixed when the U layer is turned, where on the '01' algorithm models, the centre circle moves with the U layer turns.

So which is the more interesting solve? And does anyone know whether center inners can be swapped to make both puzzles out of one? Sounds like Kevin could weigh in here, since Pete's are still on the way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:11 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
rline wrote:
So which is the more interesting solve? And does anyone know whether center inners can be swapped to make both puzzles out of one? Sounds like Kevin could weigh in here, since Pete's are still on the way.

I'm not really sure that I can help you much! They both share common features in the solve but when onl 1 is bandaged and one not this can make life slightly awkward. But when both are the same, I got a bit more confused. Plus, to be honest, it was 6 months ago and I barely remember yesterday!!! :shock:

As for swapping centres to make the other puzzle - I have never had the courage to look! Sorry! Not much help really! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 pm 

I received my WitEden Super Puzzles last week and then promptly flew to the frozen North. I first tackled the Super 3x3x7:00 on the airplane. It is awesome :mrgreen: , a really nice solving challenge, neither too difficult nor too easy. The odd number of layers certainly adds something. The solve has so much variety... I won't say any more.

ETA:
I can now say that the 3x3x5:00 is a very different challenge from the 3x3x7. I think it is a little harder, but still in the casual solving category. What makes it harder are the layered E-layer edges and the effect that those layers have when they get scrambled. It takes a bit of effort to scramble the E-layer edges and particularly to shuffle them with the U and D layer edges, the but the resulting solves are well worth it.

I'm really happy I got both of these puzzles and I am looking forward to trying the other members of the WitEden Super series.

The 3x3x7 centre is definitely not reversible. It is actually a single piece, even if it appears otherwise:

Attachment:
Super-3x3x7-00-Centre_1_sm.png
Super-3x3x7-00-Centre_1_sm.png [ 264.8 KiB | Viewed 1634 times ]

Attachment:
Super-3x3x7-00-Centre_2_sm.png
Super-3x3x7-00-Centre_2_sm.png [ 223.17 KiB | Viewed 1634 times ]