Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to expect from a WCA event?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 pm 

Hi all. I am considering going to the Carnegie Mellon Fall 2012 WCA event on December 8th. It's the only event anywhere near me recently and I have a relative to stay with. I'm not competing [my best 3x3x3 time is about 1:15 with beginner's method]. I'm curious what I should expect. Would there be vendors / displays with new puzzles? I'm hoping for more of a convention feel, honestly. Mostly, I just want to me meet other cubers. I have no one to talk cubes to around here. [That's why I love this site!]

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Post subject: Re: What to expect from a WCA event?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 am 

I went to some WCA Competition events before but never joined in any competitions. I think mostimportant is to meet cubers, puzzle friends who is not far from you. Puzzlling is a hobby. It'll be too lonely if we don't have friends with common interest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:00 am 

If you are looking for a convention feel you are headed to the right place! It's very relaxed, and there will be plenty of people to talk to. Sometimes there are vendors, but generally they are selling speedcubes. Lot's of the people will have interesting puzzles that you can try. Go if you have a chance, and have fun!

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm 

Well I've been to quite a few. Recently, like the past two years, there has been very very few custom puzzles at competitions. Most of the people there are kids who only care about solving. I remember like five years ago when American contests had some builders. Now I'm not saying the customs back then were better, just that there was more of them. Now most of the prototypers are European. I'm gonna try and make it to that competition if I don't have a track meet. Don't get me wrong, they're still a lot of fun, but just filled with some annoying little kids. I definitely recommend checking it out if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:30 pm 

Just recently went to one.. it was great! Participated in 2x2 3x3 and pyraminx, wasn't the slowest on them hahaha.

It was the Dutch Open and I knew there would be vendors there. Even got me a barrel sliding twister (I am sure it is in the museum) for a Euro, so that was fun. I also got to meet some people in real life and spoke with them for a while. Hey TomZ! *waves* He will remember me *giggle*

It was so much fun indeed to just TALK to these people, get a feel who they are and what drives them to making these puzzles.

But most events here are simply that: events. You compete, you judge when your round is not up, and you wait till you can compete again. Most the time there aren't sellers there. This time I was in luck since Tom had brought the constrained cubes with him and I was able to buy one from him.

The community is small, so you are likely to see the same faces pop up a lot, and you get to know people quickly.

Basically.. if you want to go: GO. Competing if only once will get you a ranking. That way you can prove that you can at least solve that cube *giggle*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:30 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
... wasn't the slowest on them hahaha.
I've have been in a competition (here) where I *was* the slowest in two events (4x4 and 5x5), and it isn't so bad. Consider that I saved the guys ahead of me from being on bottom!

So go. And compete. It is a start, and you can then measure against your previous times going forward.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:43 pm 

Don't worry about speed at all. I am not a fast solver and I don't try to be, but the one event I was at, everyone there encouraged me to participate anyway. It was fun even being the slowest (or close to it). The vibe I got from everyone is that you are there just to improve your own time and to cheer everyone else on.

It was great going there though just to talk puzzles with everyone.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 am 

That is exactly the experience I got. It is not a competition like a lot are.. where you have to be the best. Not at all, it is more about improving your own times at competition so a match with yourself really.

Also.. you get to see a LOT of different cubes and you're allowed to try them as well most of the time, which is really nice because you get a feel of other brands real quickly.

Though most are Dayan cubes. :)

Mostly: it is FUN, and if you go there to have fun, it is what you will get. A place where you can whip out the cube without getting stared at (happens here haha).