Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Keeping stickers from falling off?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:09 pm 

This has always been a problem with the small center edge pieces on my gigaminx. I keep it in my backpack and they tend to fall off just a few weeks after I apply them. Is there any way to prevent this other than keeping it on a desk?

Post subject: Re: Keeping stickers from falling off?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:51 pm 

To restick a troublesome sticker, I remove the sticker, clean the surface carefully and apply a few very tiny drops of superglue to the outer edges of the sticker area. I use a superglue that is purple when it is wet, so I can see where it goes. Please note that if you ever scrape off the sticker, you will find some minor cosmetic damage to the surface of the piece.

A more permanent solution is to get a good quality replacement sticker set. I'm very happy with the Cubesmith stickers on my Gigaminx.

Finally, I carry puzzles around in a soft pouch or bubble wrap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:35 pm 

I always get cubesmith stickers and it still happens, and it would still happen when I kept it in a little silk pouch you get for free with skull candy headphones. I guess superglue would work but I'd really rather avoid something THAT permanent in case I want to change sticker colors. To be realistic I'll probably end up doing that eventually

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:47 pm 

fourthirdspircubed wrote:
I guess superglue would work but I'd really rather avoid something THAT permanent in case I want to change sticker colors.
With small dots of superglue the sticker can still be scraped off very easily. It sounds like you need an inner box to carry your puzzles in your backpack :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:29 pm 

I could suggest to buy stickers from me, but unfortunately it won't solve this problem.
Even with the best quality stickers the really small ones will easily fall down.

With Shapeways WSF, I know the ironing (or heating with a hair dryer) is a good solution.
But with a Gigaminx I don't know will it work or not.

The only solution I know was already mentioned by Pete. Use superglue! If you use it carefully, there will be no mark of it, and the small stickers will hold.

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook