Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Just be patient and wait for V-Cube to release the 9x9x9
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am 

I know sometimes it's hard to keep waiting for companies to release legitimate versions of their cubes (in my example, the V-Cube 9x9x9). I'm guilty of having purchased a few higher-order cubes from knock-off companies just so I can solve them. I've always done so with the express commitment to buy the REAL thing if and when the proper company gets around to releasing it. In some cases, these knock-off puzzles are of surprizingly good quality. And in some cases, they are not.

Specifically, if you're thinking of going and getting a knock-off 9x9x9, I have to strongly urge against it. What's shown in the picture happened after a single turn last night. I wasn't using excessive force and I wasn't trying to cut corners or speed solve. It just popped 25 pieces all at once. After watching a few reviews of the cube on YouTube, I quickly discovered that this is common with this 9x9x9. Common??? It's "common" that it just explodes 1/8th of the puzzle randomly? Not cool.

So, in conclusion, no matter how badly you want to own and solve the 9x9x9......wait for V-Cube to release it. You will be underwhelmed by the knock-off.

Attachments:
DSC03246.JPG
DSC03246.JPG [ 921.57 KiB | Viewed 955 times ]

Post subject: Re: Just be patient and wait for V-Cube to release the 9x9x9
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 am 

I am guilty pf buying KO's as well, but that is a choice you have to make: buy a cheap, low quality KO and get it now, or wait 2-3 years for a quality but expensive v-cube.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 am 

I’ve had that happen with all 3 of my official V-7s at one time or another. The problem is that they are all too loose and because they used rivets instead of screws I can’t tighten them. I’ve learned to be careful with them and not to take them anywhere where I couldn’t easily recover any pieces of I get a pop/explosion.

Is there any real indication that the official V-9 will be any better?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 am 

We had this discussion several times, I believe. On the other hand, 8x8 and 11x11 are close to perfection.
I hope the bigger V-cubes will be even closer - if they ever come out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:01 am 

I happen to own an 11x11, and they are much better than that.
Their mech really sucks I guess...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 am 

RubiksMaster614 wrote:
I am guilty pf buying KO's as well, but that is a choice you have to make: buy a cheap, low quality KO and get it now, or wait 2-3 years for a quality but expensive v-cube.

I don't know if I'd call this one cheap, though. I won't say where I bought it, but it was $70-$90....something in that range. For that price, I would expect something that can handle TURNING, since that is its very purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 am 

Well, I can say that my 11x11x11 and my 8x8x8 are of superb quality. I was a little surprized to find the 8x8x8 was not pillowed, actually. Greasy as onion rings, but not pillowed. Those are two quality KOs....but this 9x9x9...just....guh. I've reassembled it now, but I'm afraid to try to solve it.

As for my official V-Cube 7, I've had no troubles with it in terms of popping. I think once ever, it may have popped a single piece, but otherwise it's been solid. The centre caps tend to fall off, which is a bit balls, but otherwise very high quality.