Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clarifying a Puzzle's Order
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 pm 

Hey wazzup,
I've recently been having my head spin with the orders of puzzles, you know like master, elite, etc. I just want to clarify the order names of certainn puzzles; here are a few questions:

What is the official name for a puzzle that is order 1 (example: 1x1 minx)? I've been hearing people calling them different things such as mono or micro, I just want to make sure.

Is proffesor the same as elite even though the proffesor cube is a 5x5 and elite is a 7x7 equivalent?

Do we have an order name for order 6 and 8?

Thanks,
ducttapedawg

P.S. sorry if the questions are confusing, feel free to ask me to clarify them.

The line below is true
The line above is false

Post subject: Re: Clarifying a Puzzle's Order
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm 

I think it's different for every series of puzzles, Elite for the minx's is 6, while for the tetrahedrons it's Royal( I think, if not it's the emperor), and the the Morphinx 6x6 is the Hexaphobic. Also I think the 1x1 minx is the monominx.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 pm 

Micro is actually used to describe a puzzle that is extraordinarily small. I haven't seen it used to refer to a trivial 1x1x1 representation of a puzzle.

We've had several topics attempting to clarify names and in the end, it's just whatever the inventor thought suited it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:29 pm 

Oh okay. I think I have a better understanding now. It was on another forum where they called the order 1 puzzle micro xxx.

The line below is true
The line above is false

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:45 pm 

Also, another to note is that even though Master is commonly used for 4x4 versions, it mainly means that puzzle is 1 order up from the last puzzle, if that makes sense, haha. An example is the 2x2 morphinx is a pyramorphinx, the 3x3 version is the Master Pyramorphinx.

Sorry if this is highjacking the thread but, what would the 6x6 and 7x7 cubes names be?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm 

Aether13 wrote:
Also, another to note is that even though Master is commonly used for 4x4 versions, it mainly means that puzzle is 1 order up from the last puzzle, if that makes sense, haha. An example is the 2x2 morphinx is a pyramorphinx, the 3x3 version is the Master Pyramorphinx.

Sorry if this is highjacking the thread but, what would the 6x6 and 7x7 cubes names be?

Thanks! I now understand better. On some a video I once saw, it said the elite was the equivalent for order 7. I'm not sure about order 6 though. I remember that RubixFreakGreg called his order 6 minx an elite kilominx. I guess that elite is just a 2nd step up from the original in some cases. kilominx :arrow: master kilominx :arrow: elite kilominx

The line below is true
The line above is false

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:15 pm 

Ducttapemaster48 wrote:

I've recently been having my head spin with the orders of puzzles, you know like master, elite, etc. I just want to clarify the order names of certainn puzzles .

Please understand that there are no official names. We are all just making it up as we go along. Sure there are terms that gradually become accepted as the norm but don't expect any definitive logical order to them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Ducttapemaster48 wrote:

I've recently been having my head spin with the orders of puzzles, you know like master, elite, etc. I just want to clarify the order names of certainn puzzles .

Please understand that there are no official names. We are all just making it up as we go along. Sure there are terms that gradually become accepted as the norm but don't expect any definitive logical order to them.

Oh ok. Now it makes more sense. I feel more free about naming my puzzles now :lol:

The line below is true
The line above is false