Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
I'm taking a break from stickering my new Classical Tuttminx to ask for your ideas on adjusting and lubricating this awesome puzzle. The face turning is very stiff (I can barely move some faces), so just breaking it in doesn't seem practical. How did you adjust the tensions on your Classical Tuttminx? Based on Mr. Le's statement that "every external face is wholly molded", I believe that I will have to do some disassembly to reach the screws. Can you please tell me how to do that? The faces may turn well with lighter tension, so I want to try adjustment before resorting to lubrication. In any case, what did you use to lube this puzzle, if anything?

ETA: it looks like it might disassemble like a megaminx by turning a hexagonal face 30° and popping out an edge, but the edge is very sharp and would require a prying tool. Not something I want to try without some assurance that it is correct.

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 pm
It's so thight so that you won't jumble / fudge it while stickering, because solving it stickerless may be a pain. Just twist a little bit every single screw and put some drops of lube after you're done with stickers, and it will move amazingly well :)

The screws are just bellow the center's caps. Mine came with the caps in a plastic bag, but it should be that difficult to take them apart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 am
he said classical tuttminx so it does not jumble.

You can disassemble it by carefully popping off two corner caps and then take out an edge. Then jut lubricate the inside (core and some pieces). Remember to put in enough lube for the whole puzzle.
There is no need to lubricate the screws because there are no springs in the puzzle. Tensioning was not necessary on mine, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:37 am
I had a hard time figuring out how to take this puzzle apart, too. It turns out that it's actually quite simple, if rather unintuitive. All of the edge and corner pieces are actually two separate components joined together by a thin peg. All you have to do is pull them straight off; they should come away without and real trouble.

Once you have removed all a centre's surrounding pieces, the centre cap itself should come off easily.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
Inwards wrote:
All of the edge and corner pieces are actually two separate components joined together by a thin peg. All you have to do is pull them straight off; they should come away without and real trouble.
I have managed to spread some pieces and peer into a face enough see the seam in the cap, but as you say, I would have to remove the corners and edge to free it. I can't see behind the pieces enough to know in which direction to pull. Is it perpendicular to the face? Parallel? Did you use a tool to pry them off. I've tried a fair bit of force and nothing has budged, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can for further attempts. Once I've gotten even one piece out, it will all become very obvious, so I appreciate your help.

EMI94100 wrote:
You can disassemble it by carefully popping off two corner caps and then take out an edge. Then jut lubricate the inside (core and some pieces). Remember to put in enough lube for the whole puzzle.
Can you describe your procedure to pop out an edge. I was planning to use silicone spray. Is that what you used?

EMI94100 wrote:
There is no need to lubricate the screws because there are no springs in the puzzle. Tensioning was not necessary on mine, too.
That's a good point, it will save a lot of wasted effort. It is interesting about the tensions. If they were all like the pentagonal faces, it would be fine, but I can hardly budge most the hexagon faces and even the "loosest" takes enormous effort to turn.

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: P.R.China
Pete the Geek wrote:
... I would have to remove the corners and edge to free it. I can't see behind the pieces enough to know in which direction to pull. Is it perpendicular to the face? Parallel? Did you use a tool to pry them off. I've tried a fair bit of force and nothing has budged, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can for further attempts. Once I've gotten even one piece out, it will all become very obvious, so I appreciate your help.


I just prepared a pic to show its internal. That is, first pry the corner piece radially against the center of the sphere, then edge pieces, finally center caps.

Attachment:
assembly.jpg
assembly.jpg [ 30.29 KiB | Viewed 1288 times ]


So actually it is quite easy to disassemble it if you know that every moving part consists of three radially combined parts.

Pete the Geek wrote:
...If they were all like the pentagonal faces, it would be fine, but I can hardly budge most the hexagon faces and even the "loosest" takes enormous effort to turn.


If the hexagonal faces are tight, there could be two situations. First is tight screw, second being loosely installed edges. Referring to the above picture, if the edge(with three radially installed parts) is not packed tight then it will push all parts moving over it resulting in a sticky handling. To tighten the edges, use a hammer wrapped up with cloth or a rubber hammer(we do this more than 60 times on every tuttminx while assembling).

[EDIT] One more thing to say, keep all screws loose enough such that it will almost touch the central caps , keep all edges tight, install the corner cap at last by hand(don't use hammer this time), then it will be very smooth.

Lubing is optional but tuning is of primary importance.

Hope this helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 am
Pete the Geek wrote:

I was planning to use silicone spray. Is that what you used?



i used Lubix but silicone spray should work, too. Just make sure you use enough and then completely scramble the puzzle to spread the lube.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I would just like to mention that the Classical Tuttminx can indeed be a very smooth puzzle with out lubrication.
I have not tweaked mine in any way, and it is really smooth and sturdy.
I would suggest you to retension the screws before adding any kind of lube to the puzzle.

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
I believe it would work best with black plastic.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
Leslie Le wrote:
I just prepared a pic to show its internal. That is, first pry the corner piece radially against the center of the sphere, then edge pieces, finally center caps.
Thank you, the picture is very helpful.

Sigurd wrote:
I would just like to mention that the Classical Tuttminx can indeed be a very smooth puzzle with out lubrication.
I have not tweaked mine in any way, and it is really smooth and sturdy.
I would suggest you to retension the screws before adding any kind of lube to the puzzle.
I think that tensioning will be enough on mine too. The fit of the parts is amazing.

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classical Tuttminx adjustment and lubrication
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
Well, I've learned a lot from being wrong, so I will share what I learned with the community.

With the guidance provided in this thread, I was able to remove the corner and edge pieces from my Classical Tuttminx. The edges and corner pieces on mine are *TIGHT*. They were hammered together perfectly flush. It took considerable effort to separate them. I removed enough pieces to get to the centre caps on three hexagonal faces and loosen the screws one-half turn. To make a very long puzzle reassembly short... it had absolutely no effect other to make the centre of each adjusted hexagonal face loose and wobbly. As I was disassembling things for the second time to return the screws to their original setting, I learned that the pieces do separate a bit easier the second time. After I got the puzzle back to it's original state, I tried lubrication, specifically Lubix. This had the immediate effect of making the hexagonal faces turn freely. In fact, after working in the Lubix, only one face was still stiff. I disassembled that face and loosened the screw 1/4 turn. This worked perfectly.

So I should have started with lubrication. And I should probably work on my upper body strength as it seems I'm quite weak.

My Classical Tuttminx is now adjusted and lubricated to my satisfaction and I'm looking forward to solving it this weekend. Thank you to everyone who offered ideas and advice.

Attachment:
File comment: Pete's Classical Tuttminx
Classical-Tuttminx-beauty-sm.png
Classical-Tuttminx-beauty-sm.png [ 39.75 KiB | Viewed 1184 times ]

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group