Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cubing for a Cause
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:13 pm 

Recently, I have added an idea this organization I have been trying to start up and I was wondering what you all would think about it and if it were to be a good idea to broadcast it everywhere. I generated this idea from my shared love of Twisty Puzzles and my claim that if all of those bad students who always play Temple Runner spend the same amout of time and diligence studying, then they would be very good students. I thought "How could I use my skills of solving puzzles which I spend so much time on to benefit other people?". So I set up the idea of Cubing for a Cause.
Cubing for a Cause is basically a group of twisty puzzle solvers that do puzzle related things for the benefit of others (you probably have guessed that by now). Some of these things include going out onto the streets and solving our crazy puzzles to attract attention and basically leave a hat where people can donate money and then that money will get donated to a charity, medical research fund, etc. Another act would be that a group would go to hospitals and entertain the patients there with the puzzles that we have and even teach them how to solve a 3x3 and make them feel good about themselves (from personal experience, that's the most common reaction when the "student" learns how to solve one.)
These are the only ideas that I have come up with so far. I now leave this idea in the hands of all of you who are reading this to post what you think about this and add ideas.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Cubing for a Cause
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm 

Love the idea! I'm sure there are some talented artists on the forum that could make some kind of branding for the organization.

I think most of the work would have to be individual because we are all so scattered across the world. If this organization had a presence at WCA events I think it could grow into something great!

Jack