Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Makerbot Replicator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 pm 

I know Gus already posted the Cube, but I'm even more excited about this CES printer, the Makerbot Replicator. http://www.pcworld.com/article/247680/m ... black.html

The Replicator sports 2 print heads and a massive print area the size of a loaf of bread. This means you can print in 2 colors of ABS in the same print, which is pretty cool in itself. More exciting for twisty puzzles enthusiasts, though is that you can now potentially print with support material. my uncle has the current generation of Makerbot, and he bought a material for it which dissolves in water. If you loaded up one head with that and the other with ABS, overhang problems could potentially be a thing of the past!

I personally see this as a huge innovation for home 3d printing. Anyone else have thoughts?

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

Post subject: Re: Makerbot Replicator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm 

I think the real question is if the resolution is good enough for twisty puzzles. From what I've seen so far, no 3d printing by plastic extrusion has been good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 pm 

I'm not saying the next 17x17 is going to be printed on a Replicator, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. ABS does not live up to the quality standards which nylon printing has set, and it most likely will not in the foreseeable future. However, not every puzzle has to be incredibly intricate to be a good puzzle, and I think this printer is capable of producing something of quality.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
I'm not saying the next 17x17 is going to be printed on a Replicator, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. ABS does not live up to the quality standards which nylon printing has set, and it most likely will not in the foreseeable future. However, not every puzzle has to be incredibly intricate to be a good puzzle, and I think this printer is capable of producing something of quality.

That's for sure, but most of the puzzles printed on shapeways nowadays would not be able to be printed via plastic extrusion. It's a step in the right direction, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 am 

In my opinion, the Replicator is far less promising than the Cube. Why? The Cube is backed by a gigantic company with a large budget, for support, advertising and development. I have high hopes that the build quality for the Cube (with injection molded parts and all) will be much better than we've seen before, and it will probably have some very good software as well.
The MakerBot Replicator however, is just another MakerBot, but bigger and with a second extruder. The second extruder is not a game changer because they've already figured how to handle overhangs in a single-extruder configuration: you can build very steep overhangs (more than 60 degrees) without any form of support material and by printing at a faster speed and different temperature, you can turn the build material in to break-away support material. The Cube uses this approach, using build for support.
A support extruder is useless without good software that generates the supports anyway. Open source has come a long way but if anything I'm betting on 3DS and their army of engineers to have come up with something far superior.
That said, I'm not really expecting the MakerBot or even the Cube to be a game changer for us, the print quality just won't be good enough. Maybe FDM will never be good enough for our purposes, though with solvent smoothing it can make very nice puzzles. However, I am very optimistic that a company as large and with as much experience in the field as 3DS has noticed the consumer 3D printing market and is trying to get in.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34