Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paying for puzzles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 pm 

I need a little help.

I often fund my cubing habits through these pay to click etc sites. Normally I get paid by paypal, but one of my sites has had it's paypal privileges revoked (they broke some minor rule on gambling), so they've switched to alertpay. Normally I wouldn't be that bothered, but I've finally got an active referral through the site and I've managed to cash out about $15 in the last week, and I suspect it'll keep going at that rate or close to.

My problem is this... I normally buy from Mefferts, Puzl and lightake, but they are all paypal sites. Are there any cube shops that accept alertpay? Or does anyone know how I can put my alertpay funds into my paypal account without going through my bank?

Cheers. :D

Post subject: Re: Paying for puzzles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 pm 

After spending some time Googling it seems a lot of the brokers / exchangers that do Alertpay <-> Paypal have had their accounts frozen. Paypal is probably cutting down on fraudulent transactions.

I assume you don't want to tie your bank account to both and do the transaction that way so I'd suggest buying Bitcoins with Alertpay and then selling them and accepting payment with Paypal. You're probably going to get reamed on the commission fees on the Bitcoin exchanges though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
It seems a lot of the brokers / exchangers that do Alertpay <-> Paypal have had their accounts frozen. Paypal is probably cutting down on fraudulent transactions.

Sounds more like PayPal is doing their best to undermine one of their few competitors. On that note, I wish I could ditch PayPal and use AlertPay for all my online purchases that do not allow direct payment.

Anyways, I cannot think of a good solution, though Meffert's does accept direct payments via credit/debit card.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

I think what I'll have to do is just withdraw it to my bank after all. I'll wait until it hits £20, since the transfer fees are a killer £2.25 a go. :(