Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to make stickers last longer?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:39 am 

Can anybody give me any tips on how to make stickers last longer and not chip and peel away?. I just applied my new Cubesmith stickers to my V5 and I can already see that the edges of some stickers are peeling away.

Post subject: Re: How to make stickers last longer?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 am 

Aether13 wrote:
Can anybody give me any tips on how to make stickers last longer and not chip and peel away?. I just applied my new Cubesmith stickers to my V5 and I can already see that the edges of some stickers are peeling away.

It is easy: DO NOT PLAY WITH YOUR PUZZLE! It is 100% sure that the stickers will last much longer! :wink:

without joke:
For speedcubers the stickers are worst part of the puzzle. I have costumers who bought stickers for his "speedcubing" puzzles in every half year (or more often). But of course for a fanatic speedcuber, a puzzle is good for maximum 2 years (many times less)

You need to choose your sticker material carefully. there are thicker and thinner stickers. The thick stickers are a bit rigid, and the thin stickers are much easier to peal of.

There are stickers with harder glue, and soft glue. For example, I use Avery stickers. It has many products, in many thickness. Each of them has different glue. In my shop I sell Avery 500 stickers, witch has 2 years outdoor guarantee. But of course it is for normal use (as a window or wall sticker, and as a speedcube sticker)

The stickers lasting time is always the matter of how many times do use your puzzle each day. There is no secret tips for making it long lasting.

I hope I could help!

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:06 am 

Aether13 wrote:
I use Cubesmith tiles on all my V-Cubes (I have two sets V5 - V7 and my son has another one). All cubes look untouched after two and a half years. Some people do not like tiles. The Cubesmith material is so thin that there is not such a big difference to stickers. All my V-Cubes came with production marks that are not hidden by the stickers, but the tiles look perfect.
Of course, tiles are not available for many puzzles or variants like Supercubes. I have nothing against stickers, but for the V-Cubes I prefer tiles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:20 am 
The main reason that stickers chip away is because people don't cut their nails. You finger nails press into the sticker and then when you apply pressure and give the layer a "flick" it adds that sharp cutting motion to it as well. Stickers peel because the adhesive isn't good enough OR your storing your cubes somewhere where the heat is getting to them and loosening the glue under them, allowing the corner of them to release from the cube and your fingers will catch this and further the peel of the stickers.

So what I'm basically saying is it's a mixture of not using your nails to grab and turn, and temperature. Concentrate on using just the flesh of the fingers . An easy way to practice this is the not grip a cube so tight in the hand. If you've seen some serious speed cubers on YouTube you'll notice that they grip the cube with the tips of their fingers and the cube is not close to the palm of the hand. The closer your cube is the the centre of your hands the more you have to bend your fingers.

Hold up your hand right now in the same manner as if you were holding a cube and curl your first finger in as far as you can. That's what is happening when you hold the cube close to your hand. Notice the angle of your first finger nail. As you can see it would have scraped across the sticker. Now do the same thing and turn your first finger in again but this time bend the finger using all the knuckles ACCEPT the one closest to the fingernail. This time you'll notice that the fingernail only goes down to about 90 degrees, which is perfect for a standard move on a speed cube.

This stuff is science LOL But seriously, it's hard to get used tom but this will help a LOT with stickers as well as your times =)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 am 

If that is the case, then there is no hope for me! :lol: :lol: Nails Bah! I don't believe you. Never have I hurt a sticker with my nails.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:59 pm 
Then how do stickers get cut and chip? Don't believe me all you want, but it's a fact. I had a slow motion camera for a while and I recorded a speed solve in super slow motion and watched it. It's a fact. Finger nails catch and chip stickers. LOL what else on your hand can cut a sticker?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 pm 

Thanks for all the responses! It's kinda weird though, since the stickers really only peel off on my bigger cubes, oh well. I think I'll just buy tiles next time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:08 am 

katsmom wrote:
If that is the case, then there is no hope for me! :lol: :lol: Nails Bah! I don't believe you. Never have I hurt a sticker with my nails.
Based on what I've seen of your videos, you don't play with your puzzles nearly enough to worry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:46 pm 

You can get this spray called shellac from the home depot and it is like a hard shell over the the stickers.