Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mini Cube - (Toan Mod) At Now Store
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:33 am 

Just been visiting the Now Store and noticed the Mini Cube (Toan Mod) for sale.

Funny how this (the face patterns) looks exactly like a Greenhill's Cube.
Looks like somebody out there is copying. This cannot just be a coincidence. Okay it will be smaller than mine, but to me this is not enough to class it as a different puzzle.

My thoughts on people copying my puzzles is probably very much similar to other designers - Don't mind people making a copy for their own collection, you cannot stop this, but copying designs and selling them on - THIS IS NOT ON.

I don't get hacked off often, but hey, somebody has just succeeded. Whoever it is cannot claim - "I have not seen Greenhill's Cube before" - there are plenty of pictures around, even in Jerry's Cube Book.

Same old story here - Makes you wonder if it is worth designing puzzles - why bother. Make them for yourself and don't let anyone see them.

Obviously us little designers, of which there are many out there, cannot patent designs or fight when people copy.
Considering what to do though.

Any thoughts from anyone.

Anthony

Post subject: Re: Mini Cube - (Toan Mod) At Now Store
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:53 am 

I would be pretty 'hacked off' too Anthony. I am really! I mean, this isn't the first time now is it? Maybe to you, but it has happened before, and there should be a line drawn between making a buck and being honest. We want to believe that it is possible this has never been seen prior to making this, but After all this time, I find it hard to believe.

We banded together before to boycott a seller who did this Maybe 3 years ago. Is it time to do this again?

But what can one do short of that? Nothing really!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:59 am 

I also understand you don't have any kind of 'design registration' or so?

If you don't have any protection, it's probably legally 'allowed' to copy (because you did not formally claim your rights upfront). But it's no nice way to act (imho) to copy.

So, you can also do some 'less nice things' (beware you walk between the legal lines): say (on twitter, here, elsewhere on internet) that copy-cat is not acting very nice while it's your original design.
Some stores will dislike bad publicity and discontinue selling copies instead of originals.

But I give you not much hope; sorry.

If you have some kind of registration: you can try to enact it in the country (or countries) of registration. And maybe find some lawyer that actually is willing to take it up on 'No cure No pay' basis. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:43 am 

Isn't HKNowStore one of the good guys though? I suspect Calvin was unaware of the history of this puzzle. Send him an email explaining the situation and I am sure he will remove it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:47 am 

Hi Anthony,
I'm 100% with you on that one!
It is absolutely horrible, when that happens.
I will write to Calvin too in your support.
You take care of yourself.
You are greatly respected in our community and I know that many people will stand up for you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:27 am 

Anthony wrote:
Just been visiting the Now Store and noticed the Mini Cube (Toan Mod) for sale.

Funny how this (the face patterns) looks exactly like a Greenhill's Cube.
Looks like somebody out there is copying. This cannot just be a coincidence. Okay it will be smaller than mine, but to me this is not enough to class it as a different puzzle.

My thoughts on people copying my puzzles is probably very much similar to other designers - Don't mind people making a copy for their own collection, you cannot stop this, but copying designs and selling them on - THIS IS NOT ON.

I don't get hacked off often, but hey, somebody has just succeeded. Whoever it is cannot claim - "I have not seen Greenhill's Cube before" - there are plenty of pictures around, even in Jerry's Cube Book.

Same old story here - Makes you wonder if it is worth designing puzzles - why bother. Make them for yourself and don't let anyone see them.

Obviously us little designers, of which there are many out there, cannot patent designs or fight when people copy.
Considering what to do though.

Any thoughts from anyone.

Anthony

Sorry for late reply, just back from exhausted day works.
These puzzles are the hand-made puzzles by Toan in Vietnam.
I am helping some of poor hand-mod maker, AJ in China and Toan in Vietnam, to sell their hand-made puzzles to earn some money.
Sorry about that I don't know it is problem for the selling of those hand-made puzzles.
I have just removed the cubes. None of these cube have been sold.
Sorry for the inconvenience being caused to you.

PS: If having another hand-mod puzzles by AJ and Toan, currently only helping these 2 hand-mod makers, with similar problem, please do let me know.

best regards,
calvinfan
Email : calvinfan@hknowstore.com

- from Hong Kong

Last edited by calvinfan on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:42 am 

Thanks Calvin for your support!
Vadim