Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shapeways puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:40 pm 

I tried to find a topic about this, but I couldn't, so I apologize if this has been covered before. Everyone else seems to get their shapeways pieces and magically produce a dyed, assembled, stickered, and functioning puzzle without any problems. I have just received my first shapeways puzzle in the mail today (Garrett's 2x3x4), and I have a few questions that may seem a bit silly :oops:

How strong are the pieces? I know it says "white strong and flexible", but how strong and how flexible is that? I'd rather not break anything.

I'v heard that stickers don't stay on shapeways puzzles well. Should I use a drop of glue, or is there a better way?

How durable are shapeways puzzles? Is it safe to use lube on them?

Is there anything else I should know before I jump in and try to make this thing work? Again, I apologize if the questions seem basic, I'm sure this stuff is common knowledge for everyone else around here, but I'v never tried a shapeways puzzle before, and I'd like to make sure I do it right so I end up with a nice puzzle :D

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Shapeways puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 pm 

I very highly doubt you would break any of the pieces while putting the puzzle together. WSF is quite strong.
I've never done it but I think a lot of people lubricate their shapeways puzzles with the stuff that's normally used with puzzles (Jigaloo, CRC, etc)
As for the stickers, I've heard ironing them on works wonders but I know a lot of people use small amounts of super glue as long as the stickers aren't too small that it would show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 pm 

Noreg89 wrote:
How strong are the pieces? I know it says "white strong and flexible", but how strong and how flexible is that? I'd rather not break anything.

I'v heard that stickers don't stay on shapeways puzzles well. Should I use a drop of glue, or is there a better way?

How durable are shapeways puzzles? Is it safe to use lube on them?

Is there anything else I should know before I jump in and try to make this thing work? Again, I apologize if the questions seem basic, I'm sure this stuff is common knowledge for everyone else around here, but I'v never tried a shapeways puzzle before, and I'd like to make sure I do it right so I end up with a nice puzzle :D

The Shapeways "WSF" material is nylon and it is very strong and quite flexible. Force is just fine as long as you are being reasonable about it.

You can lube the puzzle with just about anything without worrying about damaging the nylon. Some lubrications tend to leach some of the dye which can make a mess but the nylon itself is totally undamaged by it. Only some acids attack nylon, chloroform softens it, and chlorine and bromine break it down. None of these substances are in any lube or anything else you'd use so you don't have to worry about it.

Large stickers will stick just fine. Small ones might need a dot of glue to keep them on. There was some discussion about using an iron to put the stickers on. I haven't tried it but I suspect the iron mostly acts to soften the adhesive enough to work it into the tiny pits and rough surface of the nylon causing it to hold better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 pm 

I've learned from an injection moulding company that PA-66 (nylon) incorporates / binds water molecules in itself. If moulding is done too quickly / with wrong temperatures the characteristics of the material of the end product are not optimal.
Regarding nylon I've learned (and practiced that at my employer in that time) that PA-66 parts best can be kept 24h in a water reservoir to gain optimal quality.

When nylon has optimal quality, it is known to have a 'waxy feeling'. So more optimal running quality (as -plain- bearing). I can imagine that this also works for puzzle parts. And water will do no harm (as long as no stickers are attached).

Other advice: do not store nylon parts near a heating source. Or in very dry areas.

Hope this contributes to the subject.